Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Have had (7) and all sucked.

A sub $300 Peezer will smoke 'em,in ALL regards.

Hint................

How come so many?

Helping less fortunate pards out.

Nobody listens.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by mikieb
I got an AR and it won't shoot worth a crap... my Mini shoots just a bit better, but not by much... like others have said... it is not the most accurate shooter, but with that said, when I shoot at things that need killing... the Mini gets 'em killed.

I have had several optics mounted on the top... I'm still looking for the just right optic. I want to find a red dot of some kind. With that said, if it didn't have an optic on it... I wouldn't know about it's relative inaccuracy.

A different thought on the Mini... It came along just a little too late... What if the gun was invented in the 1930's ?? What if the Army had the Mini in hand during the Pacific Island campaign ? Would it have performed better than the 30 carbine ? What if the Chinese would have adopted the Mini before the Japanese invaded... what a perfect gun for and rifle company made up of smaller solders like the Chinese had. If the Chinese would have had the Mini in their hands at the beginning of the 1935... The rape of Nanjing would have never happened. Just a thought.

I have a newer SS with the plastic stock... and if an unwanted fight came to me.... I would not hesitate to grab the Mini

I see you're from Wisconsin.

Viet mother ph u king nam!!!! Give me my m14, mother ph ucking 1911! Yee phu cking haw!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Well I found the fix for mine and there won't be another. Like they say, first time shame on you Ruger, second time shame on me. It should not be the buyers job to fix the flaws of a rifle that has been produced this long and known to have issues. For every Remington bashing that goes on there is form post on how to make the Mini shoot. Really? I bet Harley Davidson would be out of business if AMF was still making them. So what makes the Mini acceptable to the public?

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's Ruger.

Old man Bill was a grouchy bastard that built guns his way.

That's a good thing if you are a fussy perfectionist.
Not so much when your barrel suppliers suck.
And you continue to use them for a decade.
Or your triggers suck.

And your answer to the accuracy and trigger complaints is,
"We build good hunting rifles, not target guns".

Look at the chamber dimensions of their 45 Colt revolvers.
All screwed up, and inconsistent.
The only good thing is the throats are too tight.
That's fixable, and then they are consistent.
They have made them that way for 40 years.
People have complained for 40 years.

Why in thee hell would you do that.
If my name was on the barrel, I would want to be proud of it.
Not because my name was there.
But because people knew my name meant it was done right.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Who has been churning out flawless DA 45LC's and perfect bolt action rifles in the past three decades?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DealingSuck TRIES.

Hint.

Laughing!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sanchez
It should not be the buyers job to fix the flaws of a rifle that has been produced this long and known to have issues. .....So what makes the Mini acceptable to the public?

Oh, I agree - it should not be the buyer's job to fix anything that needs fixing. But the Mini doesn't generally have "issues" - it has an issue, and that is accuracy.....as compared to more accurate carbines. This is only an issue though for people with an unreasonable expectation of the design. It's a fast-handling and simple operating carbine, that fills the niche left vacant by the dearth of M1 Carbines (or in the current case, the dearth of affordable M1 carbines that function). That is not to imply that some other less expensive MSR in carbine form is not more accurate - but for many people it is more accurate than necessary for the intended use...as an intermediate range firearm. The ironic thing I see is that there is still a lot of love for the M1 carbine, while the Mini 14, which currently generally meets or exceeds that gun's performance in every way except weight, gathers mostly hate on internet forums - usually for no reason that wouldn't also apply to the M1 carbine.

The Mini is acceptable to a lot of shooters, because of its handling characteristics, familiarity with the controls and/or operating system, simple maintenance, and its reliability. Until recently, the availability of all-stainless construction has also been a somewhat exclusive attraction. The price......yeah, that shouldn't be reasonable in the current market, IMO - unless you compare it to that of the M1 carbine. But apparently, there is enough demand to keep both high. If there were other producers of the same design, the price would likely go down - but who is going to take up that task, with all the smack against the Mini?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The five round flush fitting mag makes them worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned.

In that regard, Ol' Bill was a genius.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who has been churning out flawless DA 45LC's and perfect bolt action rifles in the past three decades?

Flawless?

The problem is not the mistake, or even the big mistake.

It's making the same stupid mistake. For 3 decades.

Hell, over that period, it probably wasn't even the same people running the show.
In 30 or 40 years, the engineers and the quality had to have had substantial personally changes.
And yet, they still couldnt grind the reamers to the right dimension. Make sure the ones in the tooling were
matched, and discard them when undersized.

This isn't hard stuff.
That's the bad part.
Getting this right is vo-tech grade.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 03/16/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The five round flush fitting mag makes them worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned.

That's a good point. With the 5-round mag, it slips into places - loaded and ready to fire - where other MSRs would never fit. And carries nicely; 20-rounders, at the ready if needed/wanted. That is turning out to be a big deal for me.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pass me the 90 round magazine please! Get some yeah get some

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ironic thing I see is that there is still a lot of love for the M1 carbine, while the Mini 14, which currently generally meets or exceeds that gun's performance in every way except weight, gathers mostly hate on internet forums - usually for no reason that wouldn't also apply to the M1 carbine.
I think the biggest issue is that people expect more out of a rifle cartridge than they do out of a glorified handgun round.

Expectations are important. It's always better to under promise and over deliver. There is a lot of promise in the 5.56x45!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laughing.
I didn't realize the Mini-14 lived rent free in so many heads.
Why always the Mini vs. the AR?
Why not the Mini vs. the AK? Notice how none of the AK guys participate in these threads or post up targets to compare? Now there is a POS weapon with a following.
At least the Mini is 'merican.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NVhntr; 03/16/19.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The ironic thing I see is that there is still a lot of love for the M1 carbine, while the Mini 14, which currently generally meets or exceeds that gun's performance in every way except weight, gathers mostly hate on internet forums - usually for no reason that wouldn't also apply to the M1 carbine.
I think the biggest issue is that people expect more out of a rifle cartridge than they do out of a glorified handgun round.

Expectations are important. It's always better to under promise and over deliver. There is a lot of promise in the 5.56x45!

Absolutely. Expectations are important. And If you expect to shoot much under sub 2MOA groups, the current Mini will likely frustrate you, and the pencil-barrel will make you tear your hair out. It can be made to do it, for a price, and some just get lucky - but if that's the main goal, there are many better options.

For anyone who has one and would like it to shoot better - I would start with bedding the receiver and reducing the gas bushing diameter. Both cheap and easy improvements.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Laughing.
Why not the Mini vs. the AK? Notice how none of the AK guys participate in these threads or post up targets to compare? Now there is a POS weapon with a following.

To be fair - the AK can be had for a bit less. But yeah. OTOH - I haven't tried one, but the Mini 30 does have a reputation of better accuracy than the 14, so there is that also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killerv
I've always wanted one just to have one...

That's why I picked up the one I have. Just to have one. Because I'm an evil rich American, I can do that sort of thing. The funny part is that it turned out to not be the piece of crap that everyone warned me about, and I enjoy shooting it. laugh

You forgot white. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laughing.

[Linked Image]

Oh wtf a 50yd 3 shot group... ph uck you better pack your gear and head to camp Perry with that setup then.. I see President 100 in your future!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Laughing.

[Linked Image]

Oh wtf a 50yd 3 shot group... ph uck you better pack your gear and head to camp Perry with that setup then.. I see President 100 in your future!

Rent free.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah. This one isn't going anywhere.

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by killerv
I've always wanted one just to have one...

That's why I picked up the one I have. Just to have one. Because I'm an evil rich American, I can do that sort of thing. The funny part is that it turned out to not be the piece of crap that everyone warned me about, and I enjoy shooting it. laugh

You forgot white. smile

Hey - hold your tongue! I'm 0.064% Native American!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 22 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,649
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.