Page 35 of 62 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 61 62
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by hanco
Bags are way more convenient, but you have to pay for convenience

There is a feed store about 45 minutes south of me, that sells corn in burlap sacks or loose to your buckets, and sells by weight. He is by far the cheapest source for me, but it is still not cheap, and his hours are short, so he is seldom open to sell when I need to buy.
I'm half tempted to just have him fill the bed of the pick up next time, and shovel it into the feeders with a funnel. (Incidentally, a carboid water bottle makes a damn good funnel for a 55gal barrel. Fits the fill holes perfectly.)

You hunt over a feeder too?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Let's see,

snares

[Linked Image]

traps

[Linked Image]

and yup.

hunt over feeders also.

[Linked Image]

Works for me!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
A stand is nice when it’s raining! And cold

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I had plans to provide study material for tonight’s lesson.

Figured the average Texans reading comprehension was lacking enough it was a lost cause.

Y’all carry on.

Yeah, I’m sure Hanco is the local IT guy and congressman there in dumbfuck county Texas.

Fuuuck you, Jesse.

I'm done. frown

I thought you were better than that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
No I’m a Dumass plumber. I don’t understand all the hate??

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No I’m a Dumass plumber. I don’t understand all the hate??

I do.

You can gain some insight as to how he thinks by reading here:

https://www.peta.org/issues/wildlife/wildlife-factsheets/sport-hunting-cruel-unnecessary/

https://www.facebook.com/antihuntingmovement/

https://dailycaller.com/2015/04/30/10-organizations-that-want-to-stop-you-from-hunting/

Nothing like helping the enemy.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A stand is nice when it’s raining! And cold

and when things go bump (or growl)

[Linked Image]

in the night!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Figured the average Texans reading comprehension was lacking enough it was a lost cause.

Y’all carry on.

Yeah, I’m sure Hanco is the local IT guy and congressman there in dumbfuck county Texas.

Fuuuck you, Jesse.

I'm done. frown

I thought you were better than that.

I guess we’re even then.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Y’all carry on.

If you can't put a mini-fridge and a wi-fi internet connection in your elevated deer stand that's on YOU.

10/4

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
At least you'll be close to kindred spirits in Austin.

Birds of a feather, and all.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jesse, the difference in you and I is that I know who the enemy is.

You will not once find where I post condemning how another man hunts, or what he hunts with. Not ever.

I will however stand up for a man's freedom to choose how he hunts, as long as he does it within the law of where he's hunting.

Now, in addition to your name calling, you ridicule everyone that lives in a state you are soon to move to?

You need to get a clue, Bud.

https://www.whitetaildna.com/resources/2017/10/11/its-time-for-hunters-to-stop-bashing-hunters

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by geedubya

Y’all carry on.

If you can't put a mini-fridge and a wi-fi internet connection in your elevated deer stand that's on YOU.

10/4

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

laugh laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by geedubya

Y’all carry on.

10/4

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

I thought you weren’t gonna post these? Thanks a lot. I don’t care who hunts over or beside what if it’s legal.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had no clue this thread was going to go crazy when I started it. I didn’t know there was so much hate for us stand hunters. It’s so thick in most places or the property is too small to stalk game safely. It’s dangerous to hunt most public land in Texas. There are too many hunters. Many leases have rules preventing hunters from wandering around.

When I started posting at Accurate Reloading in 2001, I too was amazed at the vitriol and scorn directed toward folks that stand hunt as folks in Texas do. One of the reasons I post so many pictures it to illustrate our style of hunting. I have hosted several folks that post here on occasion that were from Oregon, California, or Idaho. After spending a few days hunting with me at my "Beer Lease" near Reagan wells, they typically would say something like "I had no idea........

Just got back from my fourth "24hourcampfire hog hunt" down in Crystal City. Folks from Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, the north east and southeast states drive as much as 3 days or fly in to sit in stands,"shoot" hogs, varmints and other critters, and enjoy some good food, renew acquaintences and consume adult libations. In the four trips, I've yet to hear one say he did not get his money's worth.

Here is an example of one of the facets of hunting at the type of lease you describe.

To get to this stand I ride up the side of a hill as far as I can on my ATV. I then walk about 300 yds to the top of the hill, and then 50 yds down to the stand and climb in.

[Linked Image]

Looking up. That's the canopy stand 175 yds up the hill under the dot!

I only hunt this stand in the morning

[Linked Image]

as should I shoot a critter there, I have to load up my gear, traipse back to my ATV, go down the hill out the gate, then drive about two miles to the entrance to the goat path that allows me to go over a hill and into the valley where the stand is.

[Linked Image]

Northwesterly view from "the canopy"

[Linked Image]

Southeasterly view from "the Canopy" and another feeder

Another spot I call "the cliffs". It's about a mile off the main ranch road we travel to access our stands. To get there I ride in as far as I can go, grab my rifle and pack, walk a zig-zag path I have marked with flagging tape about two hundred yards up the hill until I get to the cliffs. Then its a climb up the rock face of the cliff to get to either an old stand I found or just to sit on the the rock face.

view from "the Cliffs"

[Linked Image]

and one last spot, at a location on the side of a hill at a location called "#5". Got a hole in the scrum 125 yds down the hill......

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

PS: Hanco, I feel your pain. I've lost four leases in the last 20 years, one as recently as last year. The pix above are from what I call "my beer lease". My "deer lease" was down in Woodsboro. Sixty thousand acre low fenced ranch that 29,000 acres are being taken as a wind farm. The night before the rifle season opening, after we had worked all year, we were told that the season was canceled. Bummer!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You will not once find where I post condemning how another man hunts, or what he hunts with. Not ever.

I will however stand up for a man's freedom to choose how he hunts, as long as he does it within the law of where he's hunting.

Amen.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is some of the few open places on our lease. I’m going on the 30th, will take some brush pics

Last edited by hanco; 03/13/19.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I had no clue this thread was going to go crazy when I started it. I didn’t know there was so much hate for us stand hunters. It’s so thick in most places or the property is too small to stalk game safely. It’s dangerous to hunt most public land in Texas. There are too many hunters. Many leases have rules preventing hunters from wandering around.

They dont want you spooking the deer which jump the property fence and get shot on the neighbors place where they have feeders.

I used to hunt my uncles paper company 1200 acre lease in East Texas. The adjoining 3000 acre place had a hunting camp a half mile to the west. Toward our place and east of the camp, they had a 100 acre wooded trap pasture and a hunter had a feeder 200 yds west of our fence.

I know this because the 3000 acre place belongs to my cousin and i hunt it also.

The guy with the feeder would leave the camp at 3::00 and go through a plank gate with a chain holding it into the holding trap. I noticed when the old fart went hunting he wouldnt lay down and roll under the gate or hold the chain tight to keep it from clanging and rattling, thereby announcing his hunt in the trap.

One day i walked our west fence opposite the hunting camp and west of his feeder about 200 yds. I noticed a low spot with a lot of tracks.

Next day i got up a small post oak about 30 yards east of the crossing. Sure enough, 3:15 a small herd of whitails slip under the fence and i get dinner.

I used that at times to see if any big bucks were camping in that plot.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Lots of deer and pigs go through holes if there is a broken wire or under if there is a low place. The Aoudads in the pic below just came through hole in the fence(broken strand of barb wire.). I’m in my pussy shooting house, sitting in my office chair. All comfortable, I know I should be ashamed.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 03/13/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by kellory
Bags are way more convenient, but you have to pay for convenience

There is a feed store about 45 minutes south of me, that sells corn in burlap sacks or loose to your buckets, and sells by weight. He is by far the cheapest source for me, but it is still not cheap, and his hours are short, so he is seldom open to sell when I need to buy.
I'm half tempted to just have him fill the bed of the pick up next time, and shovel it into the feeders with a funnel. (Incidentally, a carboid water bottle makes a damn good funnel for a 55gal barrel. Fits the fill holes perfectly.)

Since I already posted exactly what I do with my feeders, how I hunt, and what I fill em with, I would suggest you actually read what I wrote, before asking dumb ass questions. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 35 of 62 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.