Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If Ruger had just used a different gas system, we probably wouldn't be having this largely negative conversation.

Yeah - the system is excessively lively and robust, for sure.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
KYHillChick and I both have Stainless Mini-14's purchased new about 2000.

Other folks have problems with accuracy. We don't seem to have the problem at all. Hers is a Ranch version with a 3-9X40 scope. Mine is the standard version.

This is what I keep next to the bed for those things that won't stay close enough for the 12 GA auto. It does minute-of-miscreant just fine. My only complaint is that it throws brass all to hell and back.

If you're a little bit handy, you can tame it down pretty easily.

https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/Gas-Reduction-Bushing-Kit.php

You also need an inch-lb driver and feeler guages to re-install the gas block evenly.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The skinny barrel models benefit greatly with a barrel strut installed.
They do throw brass into the next zip code, but, the gas bushing is an easy fix.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Making them in the new 350 or one of the 45 ar cartridges, would help endear the mini to woods hunters and others I’d think. A 3-5” grouping 223 needs to be a 7.62, 35, or such...JMO. Mini 30s and 6.8s were maybe the best thing they did for the mini.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
If Ruger had just used a different gas system, we probably wouldn't be having this largely negative conversation.

It isn't just the gas volume, it's the heavy slide (op rod) banging against the gas block. This is as opposed to an M1 or M14 style where the op rod isn't stopped by the gas block.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I had a GB series and it shot about 3/4 with factory loads. Sold it years back and most shoot the AR's I built. Easier platform to scope or put optics on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It isn't just the gas volume, it's the heavy slide (op rod) banging against the gas block. This is as opposed to an M1 or M14 style where the op rod isn't stopped by the gas block.

Yes. That is what it is.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Really, when it was light and handy, it wouldn't shoot.

Beef it up so it does shoot and it's no longer light nor handy...

You either love em or hate em.

Guess I can't entirely agree with that. Just under 7 lbs may not qualify as light these days, but the current Mini shoots okay and is definitely handy. Just maybe not $800 handy. wink

I meant by doing what DirtFarmer did and put a bull barrel on it. I've not seen any proof that the new ones are what I'd consider accurate and for the money, I'd rather send an old one off like he did.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

Guess I can't entirely agree with that. Just under 7 lbs may not qualify as light these days, but the current Mini shoots okay and is definitely handy. Just maybe not $800 handy. wink

I meant by doing what DirtFarmer did and put a bull barrel on it. I've not seen any proof that the new ones are what I'd consider accurate and for the money, I'd rather send an old one off like he did.

My Ranch Rifle was a truck gun my ranch hands carried for years, killed a few truck loads of ‘yotes.

So, when I got it back, it was “fully depreciated” so to speak. So, sending it off for full house re-do was a no brainer.

Great handling and shooting rifle.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best things about the older ss minis is that they were both stainless and fit wonderfully under the center console of my boat. When I began running charters back in 1985, I bought three stainless folders at Woolworth’s for about $300 each. They were awesome anti-pirate/drug dealer weapons and could hold potential unwanted boarders at stand off distance until the cavalry had a chance to show up. Luckily they only had to be deployed a couple of times, but they were worth their weight in gold. ARs without an sbr stamp would not fit in the same space. Still have one of the originals with the box and packing materials. Almost sold it during the ban, but kept one for sentimental reasons.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

My Ranch Rifle was a truck gun my ranch hands carried for years, killed a few truck loads of ‘yotes.

So, when I got it back, it was “fully depreciated” so to speak. So, sending it off for full house re-do was a no brainer.

Great handling and shooting rifle.

DF

That's the odd thing about them, they wouldn't shoot groups for crap but everything still died that I tried to kill with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The best things about the older ss minis is that they were both stainless and fit wonderfully under the center console of my boat. When I began running charters back in 1985, I bought three stainless folders at Woolworth’s for about $300 each. They were awesome anti-pirate/drug dealer weapons and could hold potential unwanted boarders at stand off distance until the cavalry had a chance to show up. Luckily they only had to be deployed a couple of times, but they were worth their weight in gold. ARs without an sbr stamp would not fit in the same space. Still have one of the originals with the box and packing materials. Almost sold it during the ban, but kept one for sentimental reasons.

If only they would bring out a synthetic version of that stock!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The best things about the older ss minis is that they were both stainless and fit wonderfully under the center console of my boat. When I began running charters back in 1985, I bought three stainless folders at Woolworth’s for about $300 each. They were awesome anti-pirate/drug dealer weapons and could hold potential unwanted boarders at stand off distance until the cavalry had a chance to show up. Luckily they only had to be deployed a couple of times, but they were worth their weight in gold.
I'd like to hear those stories some time!

Politics is War by Other Means
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've always wanted one just to have one. Buddy just picked one up during at a local auction for 270 otd. Late 80s model, blued/wood almost like new. Got a heck of a deal. He's already turned down 650 for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
I've always wanted one just to have one...

That's why I picked up the one I have. Just to have one. Because I'm an evil rich American, I can do that sort of thing. The funny part is that it turned out to not be the piece of crap that everyone warned me about, and I enjoy shooting it. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have had (7) and all sucked.

A sub $300 Peezer will smoke 'em,in ALL regards.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got an AR and it won't shoot worth a crap... my Mini shoots just a bit better, but not by much... like others have said... it is not the most accurate shooter, but with that said, when I shoot at things that need killing... the Mini gets 'em killed.

I have had several optics mounted on the top... I'm still looking for the just right optic. I want to find a red dot of some kind. With that said, if it didn't have an optic on it... I wouldn't know about it's relative inaccuracy.

A different thought on the Mini... It came along just a little too late... What if the gun was invented in the 1930's ?? What if the Army had the Mini in hand during the Pacific Island campaign ? Would it have performed better than the 30 carbine ? What if the Chinese would have adopted the Mini before the Japanese invaded... what a perfect gun for and rifle company made up of smaller solders like the Chinese had. If the Chinese would have had the Mini in their hands at the beginning of the 1935... The rape of Nanjing would have never happened. Just a thought.

I have a newer SS with the plastic stock... and if an unwanted fight came to me.... I would not hesitate to grab the Mini

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Have had (7) and all sucked.

A sub $300 Peezer will smoke 'em,in ALL regards.

Hint................

How come so many?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikieb
I got an AR and it won't shoot worth a crap... my Mini shoots just a bit better, but not by much... like others have said... it is not the most accurate shooter, but with that said, when I shoot at things that need killing... the Mini gets 'em killed.

I have had several optics mounted on the top... I'm still looking for the just right optic. I want to find a red dot of some kind. With that said, if it didn't have an optic on it... I wouldn't know about it's relative inaccuracy.

A different thought on the Mini... It came along just a little too late... What if the gun was invented in the 1930's ?? What if the Army had the Mini in hand during the Pacific Island campaign ? Would it have performed better than the 30 carbine ? What if the Chinese would have adopted the Mini before the Japanese invaded... what a perfect gun for and rifle company made up of smaller solders like the Chinese had. If the Chinese would have had the Mini in their hands at the beginning of the 1935... The rape of Nanjing would have never happened. Just a thought.

I have a newer SS with the plastic stock... and if an unwanted fight came to me.... I would not hesitate to grab the Mini

Liking the Sig Romeo 5 sight so far. Time will tell if it holds up to the slamming. Must be something wrong with your AR that needs fixin'.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mikieb

I see you're from Wisconsin.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 300Sav, 59 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.