Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
S
SGB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Why when Vortex Scopes are mentioned is there such a disdain for them? Are they really that poorly made?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It sure seems like a lot of people need to use the vortex warranty....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't know, they are just another product among many.

I have some Vortex products (rifle scope, spotting scope, binos) they are all good serviceable products in line with the price.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Over on the M14 forum they seem to think highly of them, I am looking hard at putting Viper hst on my m1a loaded.

There is a war on America and America is losing
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Every other forum that I frequent praises them. I haven't had any trouble with mine.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by edapp
Every other forum that I frequent praises them. I haven't had any trouble with mine.

I have to agree.
I don't own any of their products but this is the only place I see them badmouthed.
But then again, is there anything that doesn't get badmouthed around here?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aren't they made in China?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned several scopes and binos from Vortex, but they all have left me wanting a little more. I'm not talking super high dollar stuff but Viper binos and Diamondback HP (even up to a Razor scope). I just have found similar products with similar price tags that I prefer. Nikon Monarch 7 binos and Leupold VX II scopes. They do have a fantastic warranty and seem to appeal to a lot of folks. I think hate is too strong a word for my experiences with Vortex, but wanting a bit more (or less when it comes to parallax) is fitting.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've had good luck with several, but they were made all 8+ years ago. These days, their scope offerings are bigger, heavier, more complicated, and more expensive than what I'm interested in.

The couple of CS experiences I've had with them were quite good.

No hate, but I kinda feel like they've left me behind.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Crossfire line is Chinese made, Diamondback & Viper lines are made in the Philippines and the Razor line is made in Japan.

I bought into the Vortex hype several years ago. I bought NIB Viper, Viper HS, & Viper HST models and was pretty disappointed in them for the price. IMO the glass is so-so as was the tracking. I parted with the ones I bought quickly.

The ONLY Vortex scope I'd remotely consider owning for hunting be a Razor HD LH and that would only be if I got it for a steal.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by colorado bob
Aren't they made in China?

They did a bait and switch. Started making them in Japan and built a pretty good reputation, then switched production and held prices up there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Razor HD LH is still made in Japan. Love mine, haven't found a better combo of weight, reticle, and features yet, and the glass is superb. Throw in that I got it new for $550 when Amazon was blowing out the G4 reticles and I'm tickled pink with it. This coming from a scope snob. I even have some 10x42 Diamondbacks that I'm quite fond of.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always something better than Vortex for the same or less money.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have their Razor HD spotting scope. It was made in China. I got it at a heavy discount through a promotional program. It works fine, are there better, yes. I wouldn’t pay full price for one.

I was my understanding that they gave a cut to retail guys selling them behind the counter. They were given free gear at the end of the year. Depending on how much a guy sold. Probably why you can’t walk in to a dealer for them, with out hearing how great they are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'm all ears for something with as good or better glass, under 17 oz, in the 3-15 range, with parallax adjustment, for $550 or less.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had two Viper HS's..Neither tracked worth a darn and after a day of turret turning they both had to be re zeroed..
That got old fast... The eye relief at 16 power was awful..Small little tunnel to look through so I rarely went over 12..

Then in the space of a couple weeks I had to send them in for internal fogging...As they got back I sent them down the road.

Just my experience ..Only owned them for a year and no more for me...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
why the hate? because frankly most of their products are junk. They only actually make the AMG scope. The entire rest of the lineup is made mostly in china and simply labeled with their name on it. Basically they are a really good marketing company. They have an amazing warranty because they didn't pay very much money to the company in china to make the product. They also know that most people actually shoot their guns very little. So if 5% break for whatever reason, they just factor that in and replace those. In many ways they a victim to this themselves. They have marketing themselves to the tacticool crowd, some do shoot their guns and use the scope to crank the turrets. this has lead your average joe to think, vortex is on those guns the rest of the stuff must be awesome too. I would only consider their stuff if its made in japan, which is their razor scopes. but they don't work for me because pretty much all of them are 3 freaking pounds with a truck axle scope tube on them.

the other problem is brand resale. Vortex frequently updates their lines and when they do, they blow out the old models at steep discounts. This is awesome, not, for a guy that already owns their stuff. You take a huge beating when you want to resale their stuff when you want to upgrade. I really wanted to like their new PST 2, but I tested 2 on my static scope testing fixture and both had canted reticles right out of the box. your average shooter would have never known it though. That is the kind of think they pass out the door.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So, from what I have read so far on this thread Vortex scope's are no better or worse in than any other brand in respective price ranges. My optics quest for the M1a continues.
Anybody got an old Leupold VARIX III 4.5-14X 40AO for sale.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by arky65
So, from what I have read so far on this thread Vortex scope's are no better or worse in than any other brand in respective price ranges. My optics quest for the M1a continues.
Anybody got an old Leupold VARIX III 4.5-14X 40AO for sale.

thats not what I heard. while I am a fan of leupold like you mentioned. I do think they are way better than vortex, for one at least they maintain value. nothing more expensive than a used leupold on ebay. I think bushnell's japanese models are way better than vortex. unfortunately they discontinued quite a few for this year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'm all ears for something with as good or better glass, under 17 oz, in the 3-15 range, with parallax adjustment, for $550 or less.

Better than what?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.