Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I like the idea of the set trigger feature and when used, it’s nice and crisp. But it puts the trigger too far forward and I’m reaching for it, shooting off my finger tip. I can’t get a good curl and squeeze.

But when I try to shoot without the set trigger, the standard trigger is HORRIBLE. It creeps for days. Is anyone familiar with this trigger? Can it be worked over? Or replaced with an aftermarket option?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can adjust the factory trigger so the single-set feature goes away. The pull is then very crisp without setting--but the trigger is still pretty far forward.

Timney makes a good trigger for the 550, but it often requires opening up the stock to fit.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BTDT

And if you try to remove the barreled action while the trigger is locked in that forward position, you’re likely to break the MIM part. Don’t ask me how I know.

The answer, IMO, is Timney.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You can adjust the factory trigger so the single-set feature goes away. The pull is then very crisp without setting--but the trigger is still pretty far forward.

Timney makes a good trigger for the 550, but it often requires opening up the stock to fit.

Easy to fix wood with Dremel. May need to extend trigger slot in bottom metal. Also easy.

DF

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Can you clean up the creep on the stock trigger, and still keep the set feature? Or are those two just related?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, all the adjustments for the standard trigger have really nothing to do with the set. They do affect the set to some degree, but creep (sear engagement) and over travel don't negate the set feature. You can then adjust the set trigger so that it works or it doesn't.

Last edited by 5shot; 03/13/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
When you adjust the set trigger to single stage, it's then positioned well forward in the trigger guard, which is what I think the OP was referring to. As such, it's at risk for breaking when removing the barreled action from the stock due to the trigger slot in the bottom metal not allowing enough room. The trigger not adjusted as such will move around, the forward positioned, single stage adjustment doesn't allow enough movement. MIM stuff breaks when in a bind.

Timney is the answer to the CZ trigger , IMO.

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Timney is so good, it's actually better, IMO, than the AHR custom trigger. I had traded for this full house custom CZ 550 AHR, 9.3x62. The Timney I put on this rather unusual 550 FS is a better trigger than the AHR.

Check out this 550 FS. I has a different finish, different bolt handle than what you generally see. I think it may have been a European model that someone brought into this country. Not sure about that.

Notice how the Timney and the AHR triggers sit back in the trigger guard, unlike the OEM CZ trigger. The Timney has no creep, no over travel, super smooth. The AHR is good, just not as good.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/14/19.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
But does the Timney have the single set capability too? I do like that feature.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
But does the Timney have the single set capability too? I do like that feature.

No, just a great single stage pull, as does the AHR.

If you like the single set feature, stick with OEM CZ.

DF

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It easy to adjust the trigger on the 550 to a nice crisp,no creep trigger.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by baldhunter

AND still keep the set function?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Yes

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5shot

Yes

IME, the best, cleanest breaking trigger with the OEM CZ trigger is when the trigger is adjusted to eliminate the single set feature.

You can slick up the trigger and keep the single set feature, but it's hard to not feel a bit of movement. To me that approach is not as clean breaking as the above.

And, be careful with those MIM parts. They can break.

Timney doesn't use MIM, uses real steel (aluminum housing is some models).

Ya gotta like that single set feature a bunch to stay with the OEM CZ.

I don't like that forward positioned trigger, the Timney is back where it should be, as is the AHR.

IMO, YMMV....

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/18/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.