-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Savage 99 Takedown serial # 184XXX, which I believe was made in 1915/1916. I need to buy parts for the removable forend, buy I don't know which parts because I can't find a schematic or parts list for a takedown forend. Can anyone tell me where I can find one?

Thanks!

That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pm lightfoot. finding the td forearm parts is like finding an honest politician. can be done but you will work at it.

also you can go to gunpartscorp , go to 99 takedown parts and only the first three items are not parts needed for the td forearm

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/14/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There aren't very many parts on the fore stock itself. Maybe start with a picture of what you have?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by damnesia
There aren't very many parts on the fore stock itself. Maybe start with a picture of what you have?

Yeah, there isn't much to the assembly.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
It appears that the takedown forend has a number of parts to it. I have no parts now. I know this will be a long-term thing, finding parts for the forend. But I need a diagram or schematic to see the parts and understand how they go together. There are schematics on non-takedown models all over the internet, but I can't find any for the takedown forend.

So....my question stands: does anyone tell me where I can get the schematic/diagram I need?

Thanks, folks!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try Numrich, or Gun Parts Corporation for a diagram.

LOL
RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Fireball. I tried Numrich, but no go. They list parts for the takedown forend, but no diagram or schematic. Also, it appears that these parts vary by year/model, so their list does me limited good. I need a schematic for a 99 made around 1915/1916.

You wouldn't think this would be so hard. There are lots of diagrams for the Savage 99 out there, but I can't find the one I need. Story of my life!

Anyone else have a suggestion? I appreciate those who have tried to help!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a metric sheit-ton of takedown rifles and separate forearms but I am not too excited about going thru the batch taking photos. I have some takedown latch assemblies but they're a little hard to come by and would hate to part with one just now. I have paid dearly for them when I find them.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Minus screws there are only two parts unless there is an attachment for a sling. In this setup there are only 3 screws. This one is from 1919 and will be the same as your earlier rifle. Or maybe I'm totally not understanding what you're asking?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by damnesia; 03/14/19.
RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
damnesia, are you saying that there are only two parts, besides the screws, in the forend? Numrich seems to list a number of parts for it (see:https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=savage%2099%20takedown).

I have to admit I am coming from a position of extreme ignorance. I have never even seen a takedown forend in person. Maybe this is a simpler issue than I thought. Would you mind looking at the Numrich page I referenced above and let me know what you think? Thanks!!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes it pays to stay up late scouring the internet. You never know what you'll find. I found this tonight. You have got to be a bulldog.

[Linked Image]

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RoyBob
damnesia, are you saying that there are only two parts, besides the screws, in the forend? Numrich seems to list a number of parts for it (see:https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=savage%2099%20takedown).

I have to admit I am coming from a position of extreme ignorance. I have never even seen a takedown forend in person. Maybe this is a simpler issue than I thought. Would you mind looking at the Numrich page I referenced above and let me know what you think? Thanks!!

A lot of the parts on that page aren't attached to the fore stock itself, some are from model changes over the years, some are specifically for the .410 barrels, etc. Without seeing it I'd say you'd need: 1000690, 1000790 and 1000700 x 2. I didn't see the "fore end clip" bolt listed. I'd also like to clarify terms. I'm talking about the fore stock, just the wood part. The fore end of a take down could refer to anything past the receiver I suppose. Also just to be clear, in the picture that FB2 posted one of those pieces is attached to the barrel itself and is what the "snap lock" attaches to.

Last edited by damnesia; 03/14/19.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Here's some pics of stuff I've sold. I have nothing left in inventory.

The first pic shows all the parts minus the screws.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Here's some pics of stuff I've sold. I have nothing left in inventory.

The first pic shows all the parts minus the screws.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

don't forget the base piece that butts to the frame , the era he is asking about has a thru bolt , later on they switched to the 2 screws in the end also there is the insert to help remove the barrel. all pieces of the forearm ,,also to confuse things there was a screw with a eye for the front of the takedown latch used for a sling swivel.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
RoyBob do yourself a favor and try to find a latch that's already assembled. It would be tough buying the parts and trying to assemble it without seeing one assembled. Even then it would be tough.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by damnesia
RoyBob do yourself a favor and try to find a latch that's already assembled. It would be tough buying the parts and trying to assemble it without seeing one assembled. Even then it would be tough.

Yes, another good reason to buy a complete forearm. Assembling one is a pita.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The assembly is attached at the rear with a wood screw. The front of the assembly used a machine screw that screwed into an escutcheon insert into the wood from the brl channel. That machine screw can be replaced with a sling eye.

Best to buy the complete assembly as FB2 did. They have been $100+ for years.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rick99
The assembly is attached at the rear with a wood screw. The front of the assembly used a machine screw that screwed into an escutcheon insert into the wood from the brl channel. That machine screw can be replaced with a sling eye.

Best to buy the complete assembly as FB2 did. They have been $100+ for years.

That one up there was $80 plus $15 shipping. 'Bout broke my keyboard slamming the Buy Now button.

LOL
RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
Fireball, just like you I about slammed my keyboard when I discovered someone had bought the forend on Gunbroker out from under me. So you are the guy? I guess I brought it on myself whan I posted this post and got guys looking for a pictures for me. I was going to "buy it now" the next morning and I discovered someone (you) had already bought it. Well, you know what they say, "you snooze you loose." I had told my wife the night before that I should just buy it, but I was trying to save money. I learned something here. Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

I want to thank all of you for the help you have given me. I'm going to build a custom Savage 99 and I'm sure I will have more quesitons as I move along.

Thanks, everyone!

RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
Fireball, what does "molon labe bitches" mean?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.