K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Ky221
Rev Mike- it is a 6x36 leupold yes. That’s a very nice rifle you posted above.

I've been toying with putting one of those on one of my 7x57s. There's been a bit of discussion lately regarding fixed 6 power. Did you feel at all handicapped using it? How about where you hunt in KY? That land can go from rolling farmland of the central and west to the thick rugged mountains of the east.

I have hunted with fixed powers off and on and never felt handicapped no. That being said, I also have a cap of 300 yards on game. I won’t shoot further than that. I have used the M8 4x on a .223 in the past, and a 6x42 on a .375 h&h. Neither one ever left me wanting more magnification. The more I hunt the more I lean towards simplicity. And 6x seems about perfect to me.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I guess I was actually thinking the other way: not under powered but over powered. Did you ever get into a situation in which you've thought less power would have been helpful?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Ah I was not thinking that way, I could see where a 6x could be an issue for the real up close stuff. I’ve always thought a fixed 6x was suitable for 90% of all situations. The other 10% will leave you wanting either less or more. But seeing as how nothing is perfect 90% coverage is pretty good to me. On this trip I took a pig at 50 yards, one about 80-100 and one around 125. It worked well for all. Point and click shooting. Never needed more or wanted less.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have taken a couple of elk at ranges of less than 20 yards with a 1.75-6X Leupold set on 6X--one with a .338 Win Mag and the other with a .338-06. Didn't plan it that way, I just happened to jump the bulls as I was making my way back to where I had parked the 4-wheeler.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got my 7x57 FN commercial about 20yrs ago. over the next ten years I used a series of 2-7 and 3-9 scopes. This was easy, because it has quick release mounts. about 10years ago I bought a fixed 6x42 Pentax. It's a perfect match. I installed it and have seen no reason to remove it. It's shot in at 200yds with 150 partitions @2700fps. At 200yds a deer or 150 pig at 200yds is pretty small and tells me "are you really sure you want to make that shot. I mainly shoot does and pigs now capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, my old pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 has worn a Leupold VX III 6x40 for about three years now. It's been on three elk hunts and two Coues whitetail hunts and I haven't found any reason to change it out. As a matter of fact, I like it a lot.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nice rifle and really nice hunt. I've got a 7x57 had barreled on a Zastava Charles Daly commercial 98 Mauser. It's got a 24" barrel. I'm fitting into a stock MileHighShooter gave me for it. Then I have to get some brass. I've got all the rest of the components for loading. I'm thinking loading some Rem40 grain Combined Technologies Ballistic Tips. i'm really a .270 Winchester sort but I'm very curous about the 7X57 since I already have a .280 Remington and a 7Rem. Mag.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
C
C
Hi folks,

Do we allow signature lines such as the OP’s on our respectful website?

Buff

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by capebuffe
Hi folks,

Do we allow signature lines such as the OP’s on our respectful website?

Buff

I'd like to welcome you to "our" website as that's your first post in six years. Allow me to be the first to say GFY.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
C
C
Hi again,

Touché, LazyV. I'm a reader-only. That said, as much as I am a fan of the 7mm Mauser round, I must remain honest about how I approach our world and have sent the below note to the Moderators.

Buff

Mod:

May I please ask the Moderators to look into two issues I've recently encountered of hateful signature lines and disrespectful behaviour.

You'll see in General Big Game under Ky221's post "A Rigby Goes Hunting" how I noted the OP's signature line is offensive. LazyV responded with a "Go [bleep] Yourself" because I don't contribute as a poster.

LazyV is right in noting that I don't contribute as I am a reader, only. That said, hateful signature lines and disrespectful behaviour fall far outside of 24 Hour Campfire rules. Clearly rational thought didn't work with my post, therefore I'm hoping the Moderators can help make our community look more intelligent to the non-hunting and shooting folks that may see our discussions / material.

Thank-you in advance,

Buff

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tag This is going to be good!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In my experience it's folks who don't believe in dinosaurs that struggle the most with homosexuality, well them and closet homosexuals, but I'd be remiss to generalize.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
This is good stuff. It’s from a movie no less.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
That’s the scene. Hilarious.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It’s a portrait!!!

C
C
Ky,

Well son of gun. My wife and I are having a good laugh.

Part of me is horribly embarrassed if that is posted satirically. If so, that is top ten funny as political correctness is a true enemy of the State! Although I believe I'm a 'young' 50 years old, my wife reminds me that I have no connection to pulp culture.

That said, I hope there are no left-wing extremists that make the same amateur mistake I did and read us as a bunch of homophobic hillbillies! smile

I sincerely apologize for missing the humour. Back to Rigby's!

Buff

K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K

No hard feelings,

Grab a pizza, watch some mean girls,

You’ve been reading for 6 years, surely you knew this was child’s play compared to what goes on around here. It’s what keeps us coming back.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by capebuffe
Ky,

Well son of gun. My wife and I are having a good laugh.

Part of me is horribly embarrassed if that is posted satirically. If so, that is top ten funny as political correctness is a true enemy of the State! Although I believe I'm a 'young' 50 years old, my wife reminds me that I have no connection to pulp culture.

That said, I hope there are no left-wing extremists that make the same amateur mistake I did and read us as a bunch of homophobic hillbillies! smile

I sincerely apologize for missing the humour. Back to Rigby's!

Buff

Good thing you posted this,you were very close to filling out some paper work.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,827
Posts18,516,845
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.