Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
There are a lot more gun shops than there used to be but most of them seem to be tacticool. If it ain't black or plastic, they don't sell it or know anything about it. How about we start a list of good sized, old time gun shops that have mostly hunting guns, a good selection of desirable used guns and ammo and accessories for rare stuff. I'll start off with a few that I know within 80 miles of Detroit. Williams Gunsight in Davison--they really expanded a few years ago so have lost the "feel" but more than make up for it with their selection. For instance, every time I've been there, they have S&W M41s in stock. Michigun in St Clair Shores--a smaller shop that has quite a few higher end guns. They carry Caesar Guerini, Rigby, H-S, etc. Johnson's in Adrian--medium size shop with a lot of used guns, many classic "deer rifles". Schupbach's in Jackson---a good sized shop with a lot of older guns and a large archery department.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha! I walked into a friend's new tacticool gunshop, the last one in San Francisco. Tacticool was the market there. My buddy Steve had hired this very nice Chinese girl to balance out the staff and do the books. Though good at at tacticool, I almost laughed when one day I walked in and the young staff looked at me for immediate help with a customer's question.

The pretty bookkeeper looked at me and said, "What is a 270?"

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Keefer's in Pine Grove Pa. A small place tucked in the woods. The used gun rack is about 5 times the size of the new rack and you can actually handle them. Stuff scattered everywhere. If you need something just ask, they have it somewhere. Lots of old catalogs too, most 4 or 5 years old. They are only open in the evening and most nights there are few guys just there for the conversation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buchanan Firearms in McConnellsburg, Juniata Trading near Everette. I get to Altoona/Martinsburg area I hit Long's Outpost or Outdoor City.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Ha! I walked into a friend's new tacticool gunshop, the last one in San Francisco. Tacticool was the market there. My buddy Steve had hired this very nice Chinese girl to balance out the staff and do the books. Though good at at tacticool, I almost laughed when one day I walked in and the young staff looked at me for immediate help with a customer's question.

The pretty bookkeeper looked at me and said, "What is a 270?"

My Dad and Stockton PD Officer Uncle did quit a bit of trade through Bob Chow's shop back in the 1970's. Unbeknownst to My Dad or I my uncle sold off all his Bob Chow customs in the late 80's. Didnt think anything of it back then. Damn Shame now.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Capital Sports and Western here in Helena and Shedhorn Sports down the the road in Ennis...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Grundman's in Rio Dell (Humboldt County) CA. 3rd generation, been in business same location since 1937.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Felix's Marina and guns in Robinson Twp Michigan.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If someone is in the West, look up Ron Peterson's in Albuquerque. He's on Central.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Collectors Firearms in Houston has more guns than you would believe.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Gunstop, Minnetonka, Mn

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
First Stop in Rapid City, SD. Can get anything you want, huge selection, can handle any of the rifles or shotguns, great folks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shapels in Boise, I sure miss them, nothing in this area since has come close.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 700LH

Shapels for sure was quite the place. Another one that has been gone for many years was Moon's when it was downtown - I can't recall the exact location. W. Idaho St maybe, too many years ago.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by 700LH

Shapels for sure was quite the place. Another one that has been gone for many years was Moon's when it was downtown - I can't recall the exact location. W. Idaho St maybe, too many years ago.

drover

Yes it was Idaho St.
They moved the inventory to a location on State St. lots of it never left the boxes I don't think, then one day it was just gone.
No idea what happened.

I read once that Shapel did some work with Elmer Keith.
I just know he passed and his son that was running it got cancer.
Sad, I was there during some of the sales just before closing.
I still have one of their catalogs I kept for no reason other than to have it

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went into a shop in Burns Oregon a few years ago. Shop was in a guys house. Had an old faded sign you could barely read, Pruitts Gun Shop. 157 year old guy comes to the door when I knocked, yep, come on in. Two little yappy dogs peeing on the carpet....

Anyhow, I take a right into a room that is three sides gun racks, 5 or 6 deep, all the way down 3 walls. Display cases full of pistols. That would have eclipsed most gun stores but that was only the beginning.

In the center of the room was boxes of NIB guns, many 2-3 decades old, still NIB. Some of the stacks of gun boxes were 10-15 guns high, so thick there were just trails thru the room. Hundreds of NIB guns. In each corner and anywhere else he could stand a gun, there were 20-30 guns piled in a corner. There were guns on the counters, guns against the walls, guns behind the doors. The dude probly had guns in the bathroom, I didn't check. It took me hours to go thru it and I went back and bought a few from him.

When he died it was all auctioned off. Amazing gun store. All except for the two little dogs that peed on the carpet I mean.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/16/19.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll second Shedhorn in Ennis. That's a good one.
There's a gun shop in Montpelier, Idaho that is just unflippingbelievable, has the craziest collection of trophy mule deer I have ever seen, which makes sense as that country is amazing for producing them. But the guns were pretty darn impressive too. I would stop there every spring road-trip and they always had something for me I didn't know I wanted. It's been a while, but if anyone has been there recently, I'd like to know they're still around.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot'en Den Colorado Springs. Got a lot of everything.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,866
Posts18,478,673
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.