Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I found an older double edge safety razor with one old blade in it and, it worked like a charm! imagine that!
So, who still uses them and what blades do you recommend?

I bought 1000 ct Wilkinson Sword Gillettes. Probly last me until I die. I’m 60. My facial hair is stiff as hard drawn copper wire. I only get a maximum of 2.5 shaves per blade.

I just use Noxzema or hot water.

Last edited by Reloder28; 03/16/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
They sell blade samplers on ebay, and I strongly recommend OP picking one up. Everyone's skin and facial hair is different, and what works great for someone else may chew your face up. Try several different blades and eventually you will find one that works for you.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I recently bought a bag of the Schick single blade disposable razors because they were cheap. They work better than most cheap disposable razors that I know of.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Electric razors give me a festering batch of ingrown whiskers. Been using safety razors for years now. Recommend getting one that can adjust the blade angle. Also try different blades; one man's medicine is another man's poison. I've actually had pretty good luck with el cheapo Derby blades.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
How many shaves do you fellers get outta one of those double head razors like that? Blade life, in other words...

I'm not a very good barometer because I only shave when I go to town which is usually once a week (sometimes twice) but I get about a month out of a blade. smile

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I thought this thread was about pussy. Never mind.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Another good product for ingrowns: Tend Skin aftershave.

Expensive as all get out and burns like the fires of Hell, but it is the most effective ingrown treatment I have found. Use daily. Follow it with a balm.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What's a razor?
In my other life, I'm Santa.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I’m working my way through a sample pack of blades that I bought on amazon. Ten blades from ten different manufacturers. The Persona blades have been the best so far. Derby was OK. Feather nicked me too much. I wouldn’t have thought that different blades could be so different. It’s a little nerdy but I’m making notes on how each one performs. I’ll probably round robin and check notes on the second cutting and make comparisons. Maybe a ladder test for best accuracy. Nerdy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have actually been enjoying shaving since Gillett pissed me off enough to go old school safety razor. Guess I got lucky because the crazy sharp Feather brand blades are treating my face just fine. No need for a ladder test but IZH27 please do report back on how your test results turn out grin

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.amazon.com/MERKUR-Class...amp;refRID=N2RV7TF86KCGG3MG01V4&th=1

This is the razor I bought..... I bought 50 of the Feather blades for less than $12.00. I'm more than happy with the results so for less than $23.00 I just placed an order for 100 more..... I should be good for the next 3 years now. Bite me Gillett.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=feather+razor+blades&i=beauty&crid=3T47WBFSLY3YY&sprefix=Feather%2Cbeauty%2C161&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

Not sure why the Feather razor blade link isn't working but you can just type in the name....

Last edited by 2ndwind; 03/16/19.

Please don't feed the trolls!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Adjustable Gillette safety razor, 70s vintage, is now my go to. Eying Feather blades but have dozens of Astras to use up first... I generally go 6 to 10 days between harvests while on the road. I like shaving at home. A new blade makes it a pleasure

I do also use Schick Extreme 3s for less challenging crops.

Adjustable butterfly for me... Seems like the ideal design to me.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using the Kai blades in my Merkur and they give a great shave...typically keep 'em for a couple weeks up to a month before swapping in a new one.
KAI stainless steel double edge safety razor blades

Used the Williams "Mug" shaving soap for decades....cheap and good enough. Then decided to try something different and ordered some Phoenix Shaving Soap - "Gondolier" flavor. WOW! What a huge improvement and didn't realize what i had been missing....it's easy to use too much - only a light dabbing with the brush is plenty and it smells pretty good as well.
Phoenix "Gondolier" saving soap

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started using an electric when I had my appendix hacked out of me. It was just much easier shave with at the time. I never went back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
https://www.amazon.com/MERKUR-Class...amp;refRID=N2RV7TF86KCGG3MG01V4&th=1

This is the razor I bought..... I bought 50 of the Feather blades for less than $12.00. I'm more than happy with the results so for less than $23.00 I just placed an order for 100 more..... I should be good for the next 3 years now. Bite me Gillett.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=feather+razor+blades&i=beauty&crid=3T47WBFSLY3YY&sprefix=Feather%2Cbeauty%2C161&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

Not sure why the Feather razor blade link isn't working but you can just type in the name....

same one i bought a few months back along with a 100 pack of astor blades. been happy with it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to try some different blades, here you can buy a bunch of different brands.
You can pick your own selection and buy just 1 blade of any brand you want.
That way if you don't like a blade you don't have others that you are stuck with.
http://tryablade.com/blade

Fyi the first blades I tried were van der hagen that I bought at Walmart. Those suck.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I don't understand why anyone still uses blades. I use a Braun electric self-cleaning shaver. No nicks or cuts. I can watch TV while shaving. Shaves at least as clean as a razor.

I have a top of the line Panasonic electric razor.

Used a Norelco for years.

Never saw an electric that would come close to a blade though.

Nicks are a problem for me. Aspirin, plavix and Eliquis cause problems with a blade. Electric for me. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pre-war Gillette Tech Fat Handle with Feather blade.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pretty basic Merkur with Feather blades does the job for me. Blades last about a month shaving every day. The trick for me is shower before shaving, and clean/flip blade every other day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I don't understand why anyone still uses blades. I use a Braun electric self-cleaning shaver. No nicks or cuts. I can watch TV while shaving. Shaves at least as clean as a razor.

I have a top of the line Panasonic electric razor.

Used a Norelco for years.

Never saw an electric that would come close to a blade though.

Nicks are a problem for me. Aspirin, plavix and Eliquis cause problems with a blade. Electric for me. Hasbeen

Yeah, taking blood thinners and aspirin are is what keeps me from buying a safety razor.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (16gage, 16Racing, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,349
Posts18,487,864
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.