Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
The Maryland Antique Arms Collectors Association annual extravaganza (known locally as "the Baltimore gun show") is this weekend. I strongly urge anybody who is within striking distance to attend. It's huge. I don't know exactly how many tables there are, but it takes all day just to walk around and glimpse at everything- and not a black rifle, tacticool junk, or any beef jerkey in sight. Downside: no handguns newer than 1898 allowed for sale, been that way since at least 1971 when I attended the first time.

One is utterly exhausted by the end of the day, and ready for Maryland crab cakes+beer around the corner.

A couple of us from the 'Fire are going- PoconoJack, myself, and Pugs for sure. Plentiful Savage lever guns, a lot of collectible stuff. (Joe Salter was there last year with his MHG musket he's been flogging for a couple years for example.) RAS bought a delicious 99 there a few years ago, I passed on a boatload of decent ones last year because I was on a quest for other things. PoconoJack picked up a pristine M54 Winchester .30-30 for a steal.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking forward to it.

I'm in a Savage mood.... or maybe a Martini mood. Could go ether way... grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs
Looking forward to it.

thats like choosing between a redhead and a blonde Pugs!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds like a Very good way to spend the day Gary, wish I could make it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Looking forward to it.

So you're telling me the answer is yes? I like the way you think. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most pristine 99 I own was from there.

99s are a side bar at this show. You will see $40-$60K guns there of all makes. Maybe more.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Lot more 99's there last year than other years. You never know though. Some years it's heavy on Winchesters other years not. Like opening a box of chocolates.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/11/19.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looking forward to it.

Oh there's no question about it. Redheads!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck and good hunting guys. I'll be at the big show in St. Paul at the state fairgrounds. Who know's what I might find?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
Looking forward to it.

Oh there's no question about it. Redheads!

or Blondes! or both!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jet Black, long enough to sit on. I'll be in NC meeting my daughters soon to be inlaws.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Gnoahhh, Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to go to the Baltimore show for a number of years. I believe I will give it a try on Saturday. My interest is custom sporting rifles, and would like to see what they have. Reading about the show on line, sounds very interesting. Driving up from Manassas, so should only take a couple of hours to get there.

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck and good hunting boys.

Just not going to be able to pull it off this year...

frown

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck to all thats going.

Joe

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, best of luck tomorrow in all things firearms.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And your mission should you choose to accept it, nudge nudge wink wink

Johno

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Great show, as always. I bought no guns but did snag some small treasures that had me smiling. An original cased Frankford Arsenal de-capping/case cleaning set (for use in loading gallery ammo at the small unit level), 1912 vintage. A nifty Colt 1911 .22 Conversion Kit, and a sealed box of Griffin&Howe R2 Lovell virgin brass from 70 years ago, among other stuff primarily 1911 pistol accoutrements. (The sealed box of brass is now unsealed and destined to feed one of my Lovell wildcats.)

Savages: lots of 1899's, not many post-war 99's, and no post-mils that I saw. The older stuff seemed very fairly priced, generally in the $6-900 range, some with condition some not. The nice stuff with nice prices duplicated much of what I already have so I bought none of them. Things like 1899 B's catch my eye and I saw two- decent condition, but one with a bad bore and the other with the tiniest beginnings of a receiver crack. $8-900 range but I walked away. A couple graded guns but waaaaay overpriced IMO. No 1895's. Strangely, no Savage small parts.

There was a M1903 Savage factory cutaway. Very nice but with a hardware store thumb screw holding the receiver halves together. I know nothing about such things and had no clue if the $1600 price was right, so I walked on that one too.

An oh-my-god amount of Winchesters- it would seem this was the year for them. Good crop of '03 Springfields. Excellent crop of single shots- stuff in my price range uninspiring, the inspiring stuff being unaffordable for me yesterday. (An old friend/dealer had a complete Pope schuetzen rifle, false muzzle, de-re-capper, mould, powder measure, loading rod, etc.- it is a muzzle breech loading setup- but at $11,000 it stayed there.)

Too much to thoroughly digest in one day. I'm thinking hard about running back today. Coffee first. (Got my first night of good sleep last night after a week of insomnia- slept 12 hours.)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the description. Winchesters, what can you other than what's said about opinions and that other thing south east of the beltline - everyone has one. You will have to elaborate more on the ,22 1911 Conversion Kit later. I have a Springfield (Inc) 1911A1 and always thought about getting one. No interesting 03s in the crop? Have fun!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I spent Saturday up there and thoroughly enjoyed it. Only bought a book, but there certainly was plenty to sorely tempt. Displays were excellent, and as mentioned above there were many Winchesters and Savages. I though most items to be very fairly priced. Saw a custom Springfield sporter by Sedgley which had my wallet jumping, but due to other commitments had to pass on. All in all, a very fun day and well worth the experience. I'll be a regular for that show from now on.

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
That Sedgley had a dodgy bore (if it was the same one). It had my wallet thumping too. $1500 wasn't a bad price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 50 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.