Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
LGS has a 700 HB with the beavertail laminated stock in .223
Date code is Feb 2017.
Rifle seems just fine (I've seen a couple of disastrous Freedom Group guns) and I'm interested.
But I started ignoring Remington once they started letting out junk like it was a jailbreak.

Started hearing that they were getting under control, but I really don't know much about current Rem manufacturing standards & quality control.

Anyone out there who can speak to it?
I do NOT want to waste my money, or miss out on a good rifle.

Thanks all

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’’ll wait a good long while before they ever get me to buy another. The Model 7 SS I had in .260 shot patterns, not groups. I tried everything. Paid a lot for it and lost a bunch of $$. I started realizing Remingtons were great rifles. All they need is a new barrel, new trigger and new stock. They should just make and sell the actions- I would buy one of those.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard from a few gunsmiths that since they've gone to pretty much all CNC manufacturing their products have been getting better and better. Can't verify that as the only thing I've bought from them is an action in the box. The smith who barreled it for me took a skim cut off the front and said the rest was fine . All my other Remingtons are relatively early units.

Now, if they can fix that doggone lawyer trigger they keep installing on their guns they may get somewhere with people who have gone shopping elsewhere....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 02/25/19.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought several recently, both 700's and 7's. All were very good shooting rifles, with my only gripe being those awful X-Mark Pro triggers. The last one I bought was a 700 SPS in 6.5 Creedmoor that will shoot 2 inch groups at a 300 yard steel, and that's with my old eyes, and some throwed together reloads.

You're not going to find a new 700 with that butter smooth action like the older ones had, although the stainless ones are nice. Remington quality did slip a little for a few years, but they also got a lot of bad publicity from people just looking to trash them for no good reason. My next new rifle will be a Remington.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am not convinced they have turned it around. I am done with Remington after 40 years. Quality control was definitely off for a few years. My latest go around with their customer service about a month ago was the final straw for me. I still like the Remingtons I own, which are all older models, but I won't spend my money on one now after seeing some of the stuff they have been putting out the last few years and the way I was treated over one of their faulty recoil pads.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 9, all great shooters!

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm not sure that they've turned it around. I'm a fan of their rifles but I'm a burned fan now. The previous dozen or more Remingtons I bought (all NIB) had problems, mostly rough chambers with burrs that would gouge the [bleep] out of fired cases when extracting, rough enough that extraction wasn't certain if the loads were warm .. within published limits, but .. not minimum. I have not had a good Remington since the start of my run of bad Remingtons though I had a long string of them before the problems started.

I have one new one, a 700 SPS stainless in .223, that I picked up since Christmas. I'll give it a try when the weather cooperates. If it feeds well, I don't care much how it shoots 'cause I bought it to rebarrel to .17 Remington, but I'm not going to go forward if the basic action won't feed and eject reliably. So .. we'll see.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: My current policy of not purchasing "NEW" Remington 700 Rifles has nothing much to do with "quality" it has do do with "value" - the new Remington 700's don't interest me anymore because they (the heavy barreled offerings) are to expensive.
I prefer to buy lightly used mint condition older Remington 700's and they keep me plenty busy and happy!
Among the last of the "new" Remington 700's I bought was a whoop-dee-doo Remington 700 VSF (Varmint, Synthetic, Fluted) Rifle in the wonderful and amazing 17 Remington Fireball caliber.
This Rifle shoots EXTREMELY well with the Nikon Monarch 6.5x20 variable scope I bought for it.
No problems - excellent accuracy and reliable in every way.
I bought it in 2,008.
I have bought several used Remington 700 Rifles that were made in 2,015 and earlier and ditto's with them - great accuracy and no problems.
I am a GREAT fan of the Remington 700 line of Rifles - especially the heavy barrel 700's!
I currently own 44 (forty four!) of them and am dealing on a mint perfect 700 BDL (1988 manufacture) in 30/06 right now.
This is not counting my Remington Model 7's, Model XR-100's, Model 722's, Model 721's and 40X's.
To date I have NOT had problem one with any of these many currently owned 700's nor with any of the few others I have owned and then sold in the past.
I think I got a LOT of notices regarding a trigger recall of the 700's but to date I have not elected to send any of my Rifles (remove scope and bases before sending in!) back for retro fitting.
My advice is give this Rifle a try and hope for (figure on!) the best.
Further advice is get your scope and mounting system ready for the Rifle as well as some quality" ammunition - set it up, carefully - shoot it right away and if any significant faults come to light take it back to the LGS.
Best of luck to you - I know I sure love the Remington 700 line - but again 2,015 is the newest 700 I currently own.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am with VG, but I dont own 44!!!!!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you're concerned, simply go elsewhere. Why tempt fate? We have many more choices now than in years past, at all price points.

I've got my favorites, but would drop any of them over a really bad example, especially if the maker dropped the ball on making it good.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought a 700 youth in .243 Win about 8 yrs ago and I never got under 3" @ 100 yds. Trade it in for a Tikka T3 Light and get 1 " or so @ 100 yds.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess my take on it is if you're not comfortable with your purchase, you're never going to trust the rifle. I personally have never had a bad experience with a Model 700 but I'm sure there is still time. Another solution is to buy one from someone who has already wrung one out and found it to shoot fine. At the very least you may be able to see some groups and get some info on loads or factory ammo it prefers before plunking down your money. The best scenario is if you can buy local and take the time to take it out and shoot it to see how you like it before purchasing. But that would apply to just about any rifle make....

Sometimes you just have to take your chances and pay to play... so far I haven't been disappointed...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ihookem
I bought a 700 youth in .243 Win about 8 yrs ago and I never got under 3" @ 100 yds. Trade it in for a Tikka T3 Light and get 1 " or so @ 100 yds.

I will second this, I have a new CDL in 270, not a fan, got best groups with SST but overall not as tight as my other rifles. CZ and Savage both punch one hole or tight clovers I have never got that in my Rem 700

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.