Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You can leave the land with the Feds, but I think a bunch of the civil servants running it can be let go and privatize that aspect of it.

Average NPS salary is about $66k a year, not to mention medical/retirement etc etc.

that might have a lot of merit...…...bob

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I may be guilty of myopia but I don't believe the feds or the states " own " any land. The citizens own it and the govt. administers it. They have been known to phug things up every now and then.

Our Parks are a National Treasure not a foreign tourist attraction. That a U.S. Citizen is charged the same admission as a smelly furiner that squats on the toilet seat offends me greatly. Limit visitation to US citizens, remove gift shops and restaurants, the only structures should be crappers at primitive campgrounds.

Pizz on the weak, lame and lazy, pitch a tent, take a hike, eat a hot dog and have the time of your life.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Citizens own it and upkeep but no say in what is done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I may be guilty of myopia but I don't believe the feds or the states " own " any land. The citizens own it and the govt. administers it. They have been known to phug things up every now and then.

Our Parks are a National Treasure not a foreign tourist attraction. That a U.S. Citizen is charged the same admission as a smelly furiner that squats on the toilet seat offends me greatly. Limit visitation to US citizens, remove gift shops and restaurants, the only structures should be crappers at primitive campgrounds.

Pizz on the weak, lame and lazy, pitch a tent, take a hike, eat a hot dog and have the time of your life.

mike r

Yep...

Pizz on older Americans, small kids, crippled Americans... They shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the splendor of national wonders.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
F’ National Parks, Reserves, Monuments and any other Federal land grab.

Bassturds act like they’re doing you a big favor; but in the end,they just make up a bunch of rules and hire the dumbazzes that flunked the TSA exam to enforce ‘em.

We are SOOOOOOO lucky those nice federal workers take care of us like they do.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by luv2safari

mike r

Yep...

Pizz on older Americans, small kids, crippled Americans... They shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the splendor of national wonders.

This older American walked at least 200 miles in National parks last year w/ his gimpy old lady, it just takes a little longer. I ran amuck in parks when I was 5 years old and my dad taught me how to feed the bears in Yosemite and Yellowstone. Strap them crips into a raft and float em down the Grand. The only limitation is your imagination. Make sure they have the appropriate PFD.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

mike r

Yep...

This older American walked at least 200 miles in National parks last year w/ his gimpy old lady, it just takes a little longer. I ran amuck in parks when I was 5 years old and my dad taught me how to feed the bears in Yosemite and Yellowstone. Strap them crips into a raft and float em down the Grand. The only limitation is your imagination. Make sure they have the appropriate PFD.

mike r

LOL...you can't imagine my newest limitations. They'll catch up with you eventually. My limitations are unpredictable...good mostly, but when things start happening from out of the blue I could be somewhere I can't get back from.

That said, I'm honestly happy you can still do it.

What are you putting in for this season. I just got the new NDOW big game seasons book today. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

mike r

I like the cut of your jib.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You can leave the land with the Feds, but I think a bunch of the civil servants running it can be let go and privatize that aspect of it.

Average NPS salary is about $66k a year, not to mention medical/retirement etc etc.

In just about every case where this is done, the cost to the taxpayer remains the same while the actual workers earn less. If the goal is to take the money from those doing the work and put it in the pocket of the contractor then privatization is a great idea. Guys who go after government cotracts don't do it because they want to see the government get more for the money. They do it to get a chance to cut a fat hog in the butt. GD

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Perhaps we should defer to the Constitution on this question. Maybe I missed something in it, but I don't see anything within the Constitution that permits the federal government to own any land for national parks, forests, BLM, monuments, etc.
Article 1, Section 8, clause 17 limits the federal government to owning land only for the seat of government (not exceeding 10 square miles), and to purchasing land, with the consent of the state legislature in which such lands are to be purchased, for erection of fort, magazines, arsenals, dock yards, and other needful buildings. The 10th amendment: "The powers NOT delegated to the United State by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

Now the question would seem to be--isn't it beyond the scope of federal power to own such lands as mentioned by the OP?

Should we give the lands that made up the Louisiana purchase back to France then, since the Gov. never had the authority to buy it? I've saw the argument that the Constitution doesn't allow the feds to own land made but never really understood it. During the years between the end of the revolution and the constitution being written, many of the states had already traded their western land claims to the feds, so it's hard to say that the writers of the constitution didn't intend the feds to own land when they already owned it before the constitutional convention was conveneed.

I can see and understand the argument of why the fed's shouldn't own land and how it would be better off with the states, but I don't see the logic in the "Can't" own land argument

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Gus

is all wilderness owned by Parks?

No.

No, most is in the National Forests. In fact, several of the big National Parks don't have designated wilderness.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The states couldn't afford them.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Gus

is all wilderness owned by Parks?

No.

No, most is in the National Forests. In fact, several of the big National Parks don't have designated wilderness.

national forests pay an annual fee to counties where forest lands are located rather than a real estate tax.

can anyone imagine the feds paying land taxes to the county school system?

anyways, how does one value wilderness. nothing is harvested.

so, what are the other items of worthy value?

do private lands accrue the same value?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gus

Not true. You can fish, hunt, pick mushrooms etc. in wilderness.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Gus

Not true. You can fish, hunt, pick mushrooms etc. in wilderness.

that is true. good point.

how about fires? how are they handled?

can they be legally suppressed in wilderness?

maybe their value outweighs the risk of escape?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The NPS is the most mismanaged bunch of yahoos in the Guberment.

Bonafide $1,000 to buy a hammer knuckleheads or $1m to build an outhouse.

And their scientists are just clueless puppets.

Don't believe me... study a map of CWD... it ALMOST ALWAYS starts on NPS land due to absurd overpopulation of animals.

The Parks are Magnificent... the management is pitiful.

NFS and BLM are totally different... I have never been disappointed there.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Gus
how about fires? how are they handled? can they be legally suppressed in wilderness?

Fires on NP land are much easier to handle than on designated federal wilderness land. NP land allows dozer lines and chemical retardant, wilderness either doesn't or requires special dispensation. Wilderness generally requires hand digging of fire line and allows water, but not retardant, drop.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
when any kind of organization becomes possessed by incest, inbreeding, and group think, the only hope for renewal is retirements, layoffs, and other attrition such as complete re-organization. but, that's hard to accomplish. the status quo holds onto a lot of inertia.

but once movement forward begins, then everyone is full of increased hope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually I don't find the idea of a full time government employee in the park service earning $66K a year insulting.

that seems pretty reasonable in the scheme of things

I'm sure there is alot of waste to be cut, but $66K salaries don't raise my eyebrow

Last edited by KFWA; 03/18/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 52 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,670
Posts18,534,157
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.