Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was offered over 40 jobs in the Army like a dumbass they churched up wheel mechanic. We got to AIT and found out we’veere just glorified parts changers. We weren’t going to be rebuilding motors type chit. Only DEPOTS do that oh and they are all civilian... I almost went 13M ie rocket jockey but passed.. whatever your son scores have him research whatever job they offer him.. they will do whatever to church it up.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a nephew that graduated OU in nuclear physics.... Navy ROTC.... Was a nuke engineer on a 'boomer' for a few years, then taught classes for a few years on what you needed to know to be a nuke engineer.... now polishing a chair somewhere in Va. Been in about 15 or so years, gonna get his 20 and then he'll decide what to do. He's a Lt. Commander and up for Commander this year.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I do remember the Navy guy trying to get me to go into the nuke program based off my ASVAB even though I hated math.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ironbender
[align:left][/align]My boy is thinking about joining the navy. What is a 'good' ASVAB Score?

Don't worry about the score. Tell him to pick a job and stick to it.

If they don't want to give it to him go to college.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Don’t you have to make a minimum score to be accepted for certain jobs.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ironbender
[align:left][/align]My boy is thinking about joining the navy. What is a 'good' ASVAB Score?

Don't worry about the score. Tell him to pick a job and stick to it.

If they don't want to give it to him go to college.

Good too see you took time from your bible study to visit us here at the campfire.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know how it is now, but it sure used to be that way.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I scored a 99. I had a bachelor's degree with honors with multiple military science classes. The Army ROTC battalion commander was going to write me a letter of recommendation for OCS, plus I could max out all of the PT scores. But....I had herniated a disk in my back when I was 18 and had to have it surgically repaired. The recruiter did everything he could but they wouldn't even send me for a physical. It bothers me to this day. I really wanted to serve my country in the military. Dad volunteered for military service in WW II in 1943 when he turned 18. He was deemed physically ineligible also. Like father like son.

what happened with me was i got a dui when i was 17 also, when i decided to enlist the marines at 19 and they found out they said all the could do was try and get me a waver. a yr later later they called and said the waver went through. in the mean time i got engaged and was fixing to get married and she wasn't going to move around, so i declined.

You'd of been a General by now

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I do remember the Navy guy trying to get me to go into the nuke program based off my ASVAB even though I hated math.

We had this air force goof that use to worry the piss out of me and a couple of buds. Nuke sub this and that, blah blah blah. Calling leaving 4 minute mesages on my mom's answering machine. lol

This dude smelled like he NEEDED a signee or he was gonna get bussed down to paint-chipper boy. More desperate than a kirby vacuum cleaner salesman.

Dude wore his blue pants up to his fuggin armpits.

I see him from time to time now, he sells used wash machines for his father in law's appliance business.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I scored a 99. I had a bachelor's degree with honors with multiple military science classes. The Army ROTC battalion commander was going to write me a letter of recommendation for OCS, plus I could max out all of the PT scores. But....I had herniated a disk in my back when I was 18 and had to have it surgically repaired. The recruiter did everything he could but they wouldn't even send me for a physical. It bothers me to this day. I really wanted to serve my country in the military. Dad volunteered for military service in WW II in 1943 when he turned 18. He was deemed physically ineligible also. Like father like son.

what happened with me was i got a dui when i was 17 also, when i decided to enlist the marines at 19 and they found out they said all the could do was try and get me a waver. a yr later later they called and said the waver went through. in the mean time i got engaged and was fixing to get married and she wasn't going to move around, so i declined.

Commandant of the Corp!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Mine was either a 93 or 96 with a GT of 135. I remember my GT score because it is on my 2-1. Drove the Army recruiter crazy when I said I wanted to be a Ranger.

GT was 133 and was Airborne Infantry. I don't think they had a Ranger option back then. There might have been the 1st Battalion, maybe not? I remember when they opened the 2d Battalion for sure. I was young, dumb, full of.... and knew absolutely nothing; went in totally blind.

79S, I never saw very low GT scores in the Infantry units I was in, and I was in a few. But heck, in the early 70's if you could walk upright and eat with a knife and fork you were officer material.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
And for most part after you took the asvab and you had recruiters calling, isn’t because you scored high on it. All that means you passed it and you are at that point qualified until they get you too meps for your physical. The biggest issue with recruiting is not finding people to join, its finding qualified applicants.. the biggest roadblock or disqualifyer s the asvab. Now a recruiter will be able to give a more accurate summary. But the rule of thumb if you fail the asvab the chances of you passing it on the second try are slim to none.. most recruiters will give up on you once you fail it the first time..

well they told me i could get pretty much whatever i chose , but then again they could of been bullchitting me. they did keep after me for a while.

i did tutor on of my buddy's to help him pass it the second time.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

we'd of already won all these wars.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Mine was either a 93 or 96 with a GT of 135. I remember my GT score because it is on my 2-1. Drove the Army recruiter crazy when I said I wanted to be a Ranger.

GT was 133 and was Airborne Infantry. I don't think they had a Ranger option back then. There might have been the 1st Battalion, maybe not? I remember when they opened the 2d Battalion for sure. I was young, dumb, full of.... and knew absolutely nothing; went in totally blind.

79S, I never saw very low GT scores in the Infantry units I was in, and I was in a few. But heck, in the early 70's if you could walk upright and eat with a knife and fork you were officer material.

All that is required is CO score of 87 to get infantry.. There are 10 scores in the Army- GT, GM, EL, CL, MM, SC, CO, FA, OF, ST

The only time a GT score comes into play is for any medical MOS and when it comes time for recruiting duty, drill sergeant duty and instructor duty.. EL and ST are used for signal MOS. CO is used for all combat arms jobs except cavalry scout (lol all the Infantry boys will get that joke) but everyone has a min score. Also when you go to Meps they are going to try and sell you the mos that is criticaly short... sometimes people score so bad in the Army they are offered 3 mos they are as follows 92G,92A and 92Y lol..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
And for most part after you took the asvab and you had recruiters calling, isn’t because you scored high on it. All that means you passed it and you are at that point qualified until they get you too meps for your physical. The biggest issue with recruiting is not finding people to join, its finding qualified applicants.. the biggest roadblock or disqualifyer s the asvab. Now a recruiter will be able to give a more accurate summary. But the rule of thumb if you fail the asvab the chances of you passing it on the second try are slim to none.. most recruiters will give up on you once you fail it the first time..

well they told me i could get pretty much whatever i chose , but then again they could of been bullchitting me. they did keep after me for a while.

i did tutor on of my buddy's to help him pass it the second time.

There end game is to get you to the Meps station.. then they can turn the heat up first the guidance counselor gets you. When you start waffling they call your recruiter. They are usually around the Meps station. So they will magically appear give you a pep
Talk make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, send you right back in to see the guidance counselor to seal the deal. If they have candidates walk from the meps without committing it’s going to be a long day for that recruiter.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think those recruiters lie to get kids to sign up. Our school had everyone take it. The recruiters kept calling the house. Navy guy told Dad I made the highest score in the state that year and could pick anything. He and I both were skeptical. I was smarter then most but I knew I didn't make the highest in the state there were kids in my school I figure scored higher.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I got a 99 and gmat I think was 140 something . Maxed PT.

Was in airborne then ranger school after finishing basic. After graduating was told (ordered) to take dlab language test by commander and next thing you know they sent me to DLI to learn Chinese and after a few months something happened with the Russians in Germany if I remember correctly and switched our class over to learn Russian. Tough school over 60 percent did not grad.Not a bad gig in Monterey California

Navy nuke program is a great program and tough to get into and pass. Probably one of the toughest military schools.

Last edited by ribka; 03/19/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My DUI when i was 17 was when my uncle was head of the Houston /New Orleans sector for the FBI, he handle it for me and it was suppose to come up on my record only as negligent collision and property damage, I side swipe three cars and hit a fence in a dry county. They found out, thous the waver. Ha the sheriff ask me if my Dad"s name was Roger Hunter also, he told me he had my Dad in there for bootlegging, when my Dad was young. That was the first time i ever got arrested. To this day it don't show up on my record as a DUI.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The marines have it down pat well when I went to
Meps they did. A Marine recruiter would show up give them poor turds some false motivation. Usually consisting of you ready to be a Marine type chit.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by sbrmike

This was 1977. Only the 1/75th back then. They activated it in 1974. I didn't go that route.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 18,585 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,962
Posts18,539,707
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.