Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
There were ROTC basic camp cadets going through the same time we were going through BCT. While they were seperate, the barracks were close to ours. They were undisciplined and our Drill Sergeants derisively referred to them as our "future leaders". I developed a low opinion of non-prior service ROTC graduates that I kept for a long time after, even as a Rifle Company Commander with three ROTC commissioned officers under me.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by EIB0879
There were ROTC basic camp cadets going through the same time we were going through BCT. While they were seperate, the barracks were close to ours. They were undisciplined and our Drill Sergeants derisively referred to them as our "future leaders". I developed a low opinion of non-prior service ROTC graduates that I kept for a long time after, even as a Rifle Company Commander with three ROTC commissioned officers under me.

I was pretty fortunate at APSU in clarksville just outside of campbell.
Probably about 50% of my cadets where e5 e6 2cyr green to gold active duty cadets. 25 % prior service 4yr college types and the rest traditional progression cadets.

But i know exactly what you are saying
Seen it and lived it also.

It was always a good thing usually to get prior service 2lt,s
Made life better

Brand new 2lt,s alot of em with out prior service and some academy grads
Like raising up a kid
Trail and error.
Standing on the rugg with em with a company commander
Hoping they see a senior nco taking heat with em and just hearing a company commander say to em
Listen to your nco,s and learn from em till ya get a base under ya .

And then I don't have to stand on a rug with ya.

Dont know how many times I did movement to daylights
And a billion halts for map checks.

They either grow and learn and become good officers
Or wither on the vine and get sent to a S shop away from the line

Not all for that reason but alot.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The ASVAB has changed since I took it in the 80's; back then I scored in the 120s and had my choice of any MOS in the Army - then I got bamboozled by the recruiter!

Now a percentile score rh 80's is a good score - 90's is pretty much all MOS.

I work in the school system now - we had a young man score a 96 - got Nukes in the Navy - most of our guys are below 50 and can't get in.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a senior, in homeroom they asked who wanted to take the ASVAB.
Explained what it was, and what it was for.
I took half a day, and you "had to miss classes".

My ears perked up.

So, I got out of class for a half day.

Scores were really good, got all kind of offers from everyone. But the Marines?

Anyway, our worthless guidance counselor had to talk once to every senior to "help them decide on the future".
Telling me my scores were the highest in the school, including college prep and academy hopefuls, and that maybe
they had underestimated me and should have had me doing different classes.

I just laughed, and said, "When I took Vo-Tech you all stuck me in the loser box. I never said I was stupid, I wanted vo-tech".

From 30 years later,
Vo-tech was stupid,
General classes were stupid,
Not pursuing the military opportunities was stupid.......

Must have been lucky guesses on those tests!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Mine was either a 93 or 96 with a GT of 135. I remember my GT score because it is on my 2-1. Drove the Army recruiter crazy when I said I wanted to be a Ranger.

GT was 133 and was Airborne Infantry. I don't think they had a Ranger option back then. There might have been the 1st Battalion, maybe not? I remember when they opened the 2d Battalion for sure. I was young, dumb, full of.... and knew absolutely nothing; went in totally blind.

79S, I never saw very low GT scores in the Infantry units I was in, and I was in a few. But heck, in the early 70's if you could walk upright and eat with a knife and fork you were officer material.

All that is required is CO score of 87 to get infantry.. There are 10 scores in the Army- GT, GM, EL, CL, MM, SC, CO, FA, OF, ST

The only time a GT score comes into play is for any medical MOS and when it comes time for recruiting duty, drill sergeant duty and instructor duty.. EL and ST are used for signal MOS. CO is used for all combat arms jobs except cavalry scout (lol all the Infantry boys will get that joke) but everyone has a min score. Also when you go to Meps they are going to try and sell you the mos that is criticaly short... sometimes people score so bad in the Army they are offered 3 mos they are as follows 92G,92A and 92Y lol..

I don't recall my ASVAB score at all, but do remember my GT was 143. I had gone in during the "Unit of Choice" program and I wanted to enlist in the Rangers.....can ya believe it? LOL It took a Full Bird Colonel at the Detroit MEPS two days to arrange it, but he managed to get a slot opened up in the 1st Bn, 75th for me, as an 05B.

As luck would have it, blew my knee out bad in AIT near the end, and was told I would have to recycle if I wanted to continue on to Jump and there were no guarantees my knee would even heal well enough to get through jump school anyway. I sure as hell had learned enough by then that I didn't want to be a "Leg" in an airborne unit, so made the painful decision to drop my UoC selection (A decision that I have regretted ever since) and the Army shipped me right to W Germany and the Pershing Special Forces......LOL

Probably the only reason I recall my GT score is because I was a driver/bodyguard for a Field Grade officer for a time and he would tell folks from time to time that our GT scores were only 3 points apart! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe it was Deflave that summarized it best - pick a job in the military that you want (preferably one with value outside the military) and go after that, and that only.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by joken2

Thanks for the link.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This always cracks me up. A 110 GT is needed to go to OCS, be a medic, go to flight school, get a slot at sniper school, or go MI. A ROTC Cadet has no GT requirement only a good GPA in basket weaving. I've seen Cadets fail the ASVABs to be a bullet catcher, but can still commision as an officer.

ASVAB has some SAT type questions but also has a bunch of common sense type question, so it measures over all intelligence, not just book smart. A 130 or higher equals a very high IQ score. That absolutely does not mean the recruit has the ability to succeed or lead. It's like the kid that says, "yeah I was going to be a Navy SEAL but I punched the drill sergeant."

It's a long ways between talking about acheivement and reaching it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Google shows minimums in the 30s except for CG - 40.

Are they tater peelers?
Usually all are tater peelers for a short time early in their military career. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I took it in September of my senior year of high school 1980.
I don't know the score, but the recruiter said I had the best score he had seen.
I met my first National Guard drill in October and went to basic training the next June, 5 days after graduation.
I was in a dental unit. Stayed in 7 years while getting my pharmacy degree.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably have done ROTC while in college and went full time after graduating.

But, it's been a good life. Wouldn't we all like the advantage that cats have. With 9 lives, we might get it right at least once.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Back when I was a kid if you could read, "this side towards enemy" you were good to go as far as the military was concerned.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Without reading through all of the comments.

Lots of folks confuse the AFQT with the GT score. The AFQT is the overall score from the ASVAB with a range of 0-99. Anything 50 or above is good for the Army. Qualifies for different things like bonuses and extra $ for college. Generally someone has to score at least a 31 to qualify for the Army.

Then there are different line scores with the GT (general technical) score probably the most looked at. The GT score is derived from the math, word knowledge and I think the paragraph comprehension subtests. A GT score above a 110 is good. I think the max is 135, but I am not sure. Its been a while since I dealt with ASFAB scores.

A higher AFQT score usually translate to a higher GT score.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rogue
This always cracks me up. A 110 GT is needed to go to OCS, be a medic, go to flight school, get a slot at sniper school, or go MI. A ROTC Cadet has no GT requirement only a good GPA in basket weaving. I've seen Cadets fail the ASVABs to be a bullet catcher, but can still commision as an officer.

ASVAB has some SAT type questions but also has a bunch of common sense type question, so it measures over all intelligence, not just book smart. A 130 or higher equals a very high IQ score. That absolutely does not mean the recruit has the ability to succeed or lead. It's like the kid that says, "yeah I was going to be a Navy SEAL but I punched the drill sergeant."

It's a long ways between talking about acheivement and reaching it.

ASVAB tops out at 99, yes?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 222ND, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 17,550 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,995
Posts18,540,238
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
3 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.