Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Shot these today, starting left to right, all the same load. The flyer in the first group was a hard bolt close. Started with a clean barrel and waited about 7 minutes after the first group. Shot the 2nd group and was wondering what was going on. Waited about 30 minutes while I shot another rifle. Last 5 still not impressive. So how do i go from the 1st group showing so much promise to the next two showing no promise? Let's assume it's not the shooter and something is going on with the rifle.

Scope is a Leupold 6.5-20 Long range in NF rings and one piece base. Everything is tight and torqued to spec. Load is 51gr of H4831sc and Berger 87 VLDs about .010 jump. Weather conditions were fine, little breeze, distance 100 yards.

Attached Images
IMG_2475.jpg (89.33 KB, 165 downloads)
Last edited by Prewar70; 03/17/19.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why don’t I see any pictures?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Looks like I figured it out, just barely though.

Last edited by Prewar70; 03/17/19.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have you shot this rifle with a different scope? I would try that next. You probably checked the action screws?

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yes everything is snug and torqued, action screws as well. I was thinking scope, but I had this on another rifle with no issues but that doesn't mean things can change. Just wondering if there were other thoughts as to what might be going on.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too much coffee? Not setting your rifle on the bags the same each time? Last time I saw this, my nephew was setting his sling stud on the bags and it was throwing everything off. Got him setting it right and his groups tightened right up.

Is the action bedded? Sure looks like something is shifting around.... Was the flier in the first group the last shot in the group?

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 03/17/19.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I was shooting off a bipod with a leather rear bag for all the shots. Rifle is bedded and is well built. You mentioned swivel stud and I did shift the rifle height a little on the second two groups. Maybe the stud was catching in the bag? Worth taking a look at for sure. The flyer was the 3rd shot in the first group. Based on the first group the load would appear to be very good. For now I’m going to load more and bring a second scope and pay attention to the rear bag and swivel stud. I’d welcome any other thoughts and ideas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to check and double check everything when this happens. I was referring to the front sling stud, but if you were using a bipod it doesn't really matter much. Might try a front bag instead of the bipod just for giggles to see if something weird is happening with the bipod mount or stock flex, or.....

Groups just don't go south like that unless something is loose, or some other cause that should be reasonably obvious once you find it... at least in my experience...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try it without the bipod, just on bags. Put the front bag way back, about under the front of the receiver. If that works mo better, you may need a little relief in the barrel channel.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Barrel copper and or carbon fouled up in a hurry, your cleaning techniques were not good, left carbon in the barrel from previous firing?
Wind picked up? Changed directions
load is no dam good?

Different lot# of bullets
different lot# of powder

brass variations for a number of reasons

5 shot groups really heat up a barrel in this caliber, you are looking for bug hole groups, let the gun cool on 3 shot groups, repeat the group for consistancy.....

If nothing much changed related to brass, components, being of the same lot #, then one of three things happened

1.your barrel fouled
2.or wind changed directions

3.Years ago, I used regular cloth shot bags with washed play sand, and I was able to shoot very small groups, rear protector bag of course. If you are not shooting an Atlas or similar high quality bi pod, then the Bi pod issue is huge is highly probable.

.I hope you will buy a Lyman bore scope if you don't have one, carbon build up is something you are going to be chasing.

Last edited by keith; 03/18/19.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are a bunch of things I'd ponder.

I'd consider the possibility that first group is a fluke, a result of a very small sample size.

I'd also look at all 3 targets overlaid as a single group as a more representative view of the rifle's accuracy.

I'd consider that hard bolt close ... why? Could the rest of the shells have the same issue though to a less noticeable degree causing them all to be fliers?

Is this a brand new, unproven barrel? Why is the load what it is? What else have you tried? If this is just something you put together because it was somehow recommended, but never tested in this rifle, then this sort of accuracy is not at all surprising. You're going to need to do real load development with different powders, different charges, and varying seating depths.

Also understand, if this is a new gun, some guns simply are not accurate with boat tails but are with flat based bullets ... and vice versa.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
+1 in spades

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of good information being offered here. I'm taking it all in.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hard bolt close suggests a super tight case, neck or throat especially in cold temperatures. Re-size the cases a little deeper.
But first, as mentioned by others, make sure the bore is clean and if you have a skinny barrel, let it cool after just 2 shots. They always 'walk' on the third shot. Also, don't forget to clean the throat, neck and chamber wall with a larger diameter -wet with cleaner- nylon brush after you clean the bore. rotate the brush at the shoulder area to get in the edges.
My favorite recipe for a good bore scrub is make about 10 smooth full-length passes back and forth with a caliber specific bore brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool and soaked in Hoppe's No 9 cleaner. It should take a little extra effort to run it through.
Then, wrap a piece of white paper towel around the brush and give it a squeeze. See how much dirt you took out. I actually found flakes of steel in one of my barrels using this method.
Follow up with a wet and dry patch. The dry patch should go through easily with little resistance. You can actually feel if the bore is clean and it should squeak.
Works for me.

Last edited by custombolt; 03/20/19.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wouldn't say they always walk.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks mechanical or something happening at the bench. What’s brass feel like sized, but no bullets?

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To each, his own Mathman, mine do in my featherweight barrels when I don't botch the shot.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't say never, but there are plenty of counterexamples to always in this situation. Think of the population of Melvin Forbes NULA rifles with their skinny barrels.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Did you check cartridge run out? I would follow the previous advice but shoot more groups to see if there is a pattern. The first group could have been a fluke. Also if the barrel is new it may still be getting smoothed out.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by custombolt
Hard bolt close suggests a super tight case, neck or throat especially in cold temperatures. Re-size the cases a little deeper.
But first, as mentioned by others, make sure the bore is clean and if you have a skinny barrel, let it cool after just 2 shots. They always 'walk' on the third shot. Also, don't forget to clean the throat, neck and chamber wall with a larger diameter -wet with cleaner- nylon brush after you clean the bore. rotate the brush at the shoulder area to get in the edges.
My favorite recipe for a good bore scrub is make about 10 smooth full-length passes back and forth with a caliber specific bore brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool and soaked in Hoppe's No 9 cleaner. It should take a little extra effort to run it through.
Then, wrap a piece of white paper towel around the brush and give it a squeeze. See how much dirt you took out. I actually found flakes of steel in one of my barrels using this method.
Follow up with a wet and dry patch. The dry patch should go through easily with little resistance. You can actually feel if the bore is clean and it should squeak.
Works for me.

I like this cleaning routine. Thanks for posting it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 12 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.