Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
In 1939, Germany was more of an immediate threat than the Soviets. The old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" came into play here. Deal with the immediate threat and deal with the other one later. That's also why the Allies took a "Germany first" strategy and left Japan for after Germany was defeated.

An immediate threat to who?

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
No one can say if things would be better in Europe if WW2 had turned out differently.

But it's obvious that Europe is ruined today.

Patton seems to have had at least an abstract understanding of what was to occur as a result of how the war in Europe played out.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I doubt that he understood that it would also come to America, however.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Oh,...and jorge,...no Russian victory in WW2,...no Castro.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by JoeBob
This idea that Churchill was some sort of genius who recongnized the danger of Hitler by himself is largely an invention of Mr. Churchill himself. What he was, even if he was rather eccentric personally, was a traditional British statesman in a rather conventional mold. As such, he followed the traditional English foreign policy all the way back to the late Middle Ages.

England/Britain always opposed the strongest continental power and usually painted the rulers of these powers as threats to all things decent. They did it with the Kaiser. They did it with Napoleon. They did it with Louis XIV and various other French kings. They did it with the Dutch. And they did it with Spain. England always tries to pull down the top dog on the continent if that power looks to be gaining too much influence. It is how they keep the balance of power.

And what’s more, as US influence wanes and the Cold War era recedes, you see them returning to it. Brexit is an example. A big part of the opposition to it is that the real English see it as a Franco/German racket to control Europe and that, of course, to the traditional English mind threatens England.

And it worked. It was called the "Pax Britannica", but it took a certain level of competence that for example, was lacking in August of 1914. All the rulers you mention started crap forcing the Brit's hands....but more importantly their national interests. ALL OF THEM had plans to invade the British Isles. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I agree Churchill wasn't the only one who recognized the danger of Hitler but he was the only one with balls to talk about it. Churchill didn't "ruin' the empire, wars outside his control did it. To suggest Hitler was going to stop at the Channel (even though he publicly sold this) is at best incredibly naive. Totalitarians HAVE to continuously expand in order to survive, PERIOD.

Of course, they had plans to invade England. England declared war on them and sent armies to the continent to fight them. See how that works.

Smart assed retort notwithstanding (not to mention glossing over the other moments in history), the German General Staff had those plans in the works WAY before war was declared(very nicely color coded too). War was declared because Hitler reneged on the deal to stop with the whole Sudetenland deal and knew the line was drawn in Poland, yet he did it anyway. Last I checked the Germans came across into France, See how that works...

What do general staffs do? Do you think that the plans contained in the Pentagon for an invasion and occupation of Outer Mongolia indicate an instruction by the political powers of the United States to prepare for that eventuality and an intention to do so, or rather are indicative of an obsessive compulsive desire to plan and prepare for any possible contingency by staff officers with nothing better to do?

Actually you should know your history better. France and England invaded Germany in WW II before Germany invaded them.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/20/19.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
This idea that Churchill was some sort of genius who recongnized the danger of Hitler by himself is largely an invention of Mr. Churchill himself. What he was, even if he was rather eccentric personally, was a traditional British statesman in a rather conventional mold. As such, he followed the traditional English foreign policy all the way back to the late Middle Ages.

England/Britain always opposed the strongest continental power and usually painted the rulers of these powers as threats to all things decent. They did it with the Kaiser. They did it with Napoleon. They did it with Louis XIV and various other French kings. They did it with the Dutch. And they did it with Spain. England always tries to pull down the top dog on the continent if that power looks to be gaining too much influence. It is how they keep the balance of power.

And what’s more, as US influence wanes and the Cold War era recedes, you see them returning to it. Brexit is an example. A big part of the opposition to it is that the real English see it as a Franco/German racket to control Europe and that, of course, to the traditional English mind threatens England.

And it worked. It was called the "Pax Britannica", but it took a certain level of competence that for example, was lacking in August of 1914. All the rulers you mention started crap forcing the Brit's hands....but more importantly their national interests. ALL OF THEM had plans to invade the British Isles. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I agree Churchill wasn't the only one who recognized the danger of Hitler but he was the only one with balls to talk about it. Churchill didn't "ruin' the empire, wars outside his control did it. To suggest Hitler was going to stop at the Channel (even though he publicly sold this) is at best incredibly naive. Totalitarians HAVE to continuously expand in order to survive, PERIOD.

Of course, they had plans to invade England. England declared war on them and sent armies to the continent to fight them. See how that works.

Smart assed retort notwithstanding (not to mention glossing over the other moments in history), the German General Staff had those plans in the works WAY before war was declared(very nicely color coded too). War was declared because Hitler reneged on the deal to stop with the whole Sudetenland deal and knew the line was drawn in Poland, yet he did it anyway. Last I checked the Germans came across into France, See how that works...

Not to mention that the UK and France had a treaty with Poland and Germany knew it. You don't renege on defense treaties.

Well, they certainly did because they let Russia invade Poland at the same time Germany did with no repercussions.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
let's just say I hold Buchanan's opinion on WWII in low esteem... Of course they were family. Saxe-Coburg Gotha. WWI was a total WASTE, perpetrated by the great unwashed and a war mongering Kaiser and a General Staff eager to play soldier. When Victoria reigned (the Pax Britannica), there were no issues or at least not enough to go to war on a global scale

“If grandmother were still alive, this war would have never happened”!

Kaiser Wilhelm II

I do not feel the Kaiser was as much a war monger as was perhaps his general staff, and he also stated that going to war with the Hapsburgs as allies was akin to being tethered to a corpse.

But colonialism makes for strange bedfellows.

I also do not feel that the great war was solely perpetrated by the great unwashed. But they certainly paid the price.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/20/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Soviet strategy was to let Germany defeat all of the armies to the west of the Soviet Union, then attack and defeat a German army depleted by their conquests, thereby gaining control over all of Europe having to defeat only one opponent that had already expended a great deal of resources. This plan was set back when Germany launched Barbarossa and gained the initial advantage and momentum before the Soviets attacked. Again, I suggest reading [uThe Chief Culprit][/u].

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i was watching another youtube yesterday on stalingrad, and the food ration for the german soldier. towards the end it amounted to about two slices of bread a day, and some fat once a week.
about 700 calories all in all. keep in mind the stress of combat and the cold.

this reminded me of a conversation with that german in law that served in russia. he was talking about living on erzatz bread made with sawdust and a spoonful of lard per week.

That conversation started from me telling him one day of my grandparents spooning concealed lard out of a pot with a cooked ham, and smearing the lard on black bread. They ate that before the meat.
Times were hard in the old country.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad, born 1908, Pocahontas County, Iowa, always told of taking lard sandwiches to school for dinner. His father had come over from Germany, alone, as a teenager.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i am connected to a facebook page for novot, slovakia. they have been posting pictures of the village and surrounding area given the heavy snows. choppers were flying low over the trees next to the roads to knock snow off, to prevent the trees from cracking and falling into the roads.
i am talking a LOT of snow. I cannot imagine trying to move mechanicized equipment in those conditions.
One of the local competitions they have this time of year is moving heavy timber in races with horses that are the size of clydsdales.
And to think hitler stopped issuance of winter clothing to his troops. idiot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Dad, born 1908, Pocahontas County, Iowa, always told of taking lard sandwiches to school for dinner. His father had come over from Germany, alone, as a teenager.

I asked my croat stepgrandfather one time why he came to this country circa 1902. He said he didn't really know what the United States was, but maybe he would have a chance. He said it was routine every winter in his village in croatia for people to die of the cold and starvation.
It took me a lot of my life being stupid, to realize how much those people taught me about how to lead your life and what was important.
my wife was born in texas to sharecropper parents. she was still a young girl in the late 40's living in morristown, outside of wickenburg, arizona in the desert. And couldn't start school in the fall as she didn't have any shoes. To think of not having shoes in the arizona desert?
I have a picture of my mother in the 20's having a so called picnic in the desert by buckeye, az. She had dark circles under her eyes, and was a scarecrow. Think of those pictures of the camps during WWII. Each generation here it got easier, but my mama who was a .75/hr waitress always made sure i got fed. Those memories and stories of the old country are probably what gives me little patience with the next couple of generations you see hollering on the evening news.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/20/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
[

I also do not feel that the great war was solely perpetrated by the great unwashed.

You are correct, it just turned over the reins of power to them and that is the mess we have today...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JB: If you think Hitler had no designs on France and or England, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
JB: If you think Hitler had no designs on France and or England, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Definitely France,...maybe England out of necessity,..but so what?

Would they be worse off today?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Today:

Germany under the control of a Communist female.

France under the control of a homosexual, Communist male,..riots ongoing.

England under the control of a female muppet that's trying to overturn the Brexit vote and return control of the country to the Bolsheviks in Brussels.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
,...Muslims running roughshod over all of them.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
[

I also do not feel that the great war was solely perpetrated by the great unwashed.

You are correct, it just turned over the reins of power to them and that is the mess we have today...

Concur, absolutely!

The Kaiser, in his dotage from the Netherlands sends Hitler a telegram congratulating him on the armistice with France in 1940. He states that now would be a good time to reinstall the monarchy. Hitler sent him no reply. But read the telegram and stated to those around him, "what an idiot!"

Additional edit

Neither Wilhelm the I or II heeded Bismarck’s words.

"The secret of politics? Make a good treaty with Russia!"

“The entire Balkans are not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier!"

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/20/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
How is Bratislava these days? I spent several months there back in 95. It was a little grim then but I’ve heard they’ve done quite well since.

I am on the other side of Slovakia in Kosice. I haven't made it to Bratislava yet. I hear it is nice. I am not much for the cities. I love the Tatras and have spent a lot of time snowboarding, hiking and climbing there. As soon as the fishing opens I am hoping to get some time on the rivers for Hucho hucho, Brown and Rainbow Trout, and Grayling. My next big trip is to Slovenia for Marble Trout. Maybe next weekend if the weather isn't great I'll take a drive over to Bratislava.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
England, France and Germany have certainly squandered their freedom and if Germany had successfully conquered England as well as France in 1941 - then all of the other countries they occupied - things would obviously be very different, although no one can say with certainty how. But I doubt 78 years under the Third Reich would have been a picnic, either. Folks forget just how repressive, totally controlled and brutal it really was. Listening to the wrong radio station was punishable by imprisonment. "Ihre Papieren, bitte" when traveling inside one's own country isn't a made up expression. There is a reason Nazi Germany is considered the modern archetype of the repressive police state.

Although, the next time we get a Democrat controlled Senate, HR and President at the same time we might get to experience that again...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 1,803 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,449
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.