Print Thread
Hop To
M
marty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've heard that there is a knock off product like Round-up at about half the price. I haven't heard what the name of it is though. Supposedly the pattent has expired and others are able to blend their own products to the Round-up specs. Don't know if it's true. . . just what I'd heard. If it's true it would help keep food plot expenses down some. So does anyone know the name of this new product?

Bob

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
look for "Glyphosate" on the label as an ingredient. That's it. BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I beg your pardon.

Roundup

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's funny. How polite for this outfit. grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Monsanto hammers homeowners on their prices. Small quantities of roundup are priced way high. The other day, I saw a gallon at the same price as 2.5 gal for the same concentration.

Another brand name is Honcho, also made by Monsanto. It's a slightly lower concentration than Roundup, but it still works out at a much lower price. The only problem is that it only comes in 2.5 gal jugs so far.

Dick

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alright, since we are on this subject, I got carried away with the grass seed last year, now I have grass growing in my edging rocks, any ideas on how to get rid of it? Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Tractor Supply has their version of RoundUp that is priced about half of what RoundUp usually costs. The ingredients are identical.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I buy a product at our local Co-op called Eraser. Works just as well, if not better, than Roundup. It takes just a little longer, though, maybe 2 weeks to thoroughly kill the weeds, but it will absolutely kill them.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by marty
I've heard that there is a knock off product like Round-up at about half the price. I haven't heard what the name of it is though. Supposedly the pattent has expired and others are able to blend their own products to the Round-up specs. Don't know if it's true. . . just what I'd heard. If it's true it would help keep food plot expenses down some. So does anyone know the name of this new product?

Bob

I looked at side-by-side comparisons at TSC (Tractor Supply Company) a chain of stores based in Tenn. The knock-off was not that much cheaper. One of the interesting things about Round-up is that one gallon cost $79 and 2.5 gallons cost $98. The makers of Round-up are fighting for the market.

You can make Round-up go approximately 3 times farther if you pre-treat the water and supplement it with 2,4-d amine formulation.

There are commercial materials on the market for pre-treating the water. If you want to keep life simple, add approximately 1 heaping teaspoon of swimming pool pH reducer (sodium bisulphate) to each gallon of water...stir until dissolved. THEN add the Round-up and 2,4-d. A goodly squirt of dish soap will help the material wet-out to the leaves.

The sodium bisulphate does two things. One is that it reduces the pH (duh!), that is makes it more acid. The other is that the sulphate ions grab the ions that make water hard (calcium, iron, etc.). Grabbing calcium and iron means that those ions will not grab your expensive ag chemicals and make them ineffective. Citric acid is another good, if expensive option. Koolaid is a common (and very expensive) source of citric acid if you just want to spray a few weeds in the yard.

We also found that mowing the grass/weeds before spraying exposes fresh leaf ends and the herbicide really gets into the weeds and hammers them.

We found that we could mix Round-up at one-third strength (when supplemented with full strength 2,4-d) and still get good burn down. It does not happen overnight. It may take two weeks before stuff looks dead.

Key points:
-Treat the water BEFORE adding the ag chemicals
-Follow all the label recommendations (temperature, actively growing) except concentration.
-Supplement with 2,4-d...which is dirt cheap. Amine does not stink and will not kill the neighbor's grapevines and tomatoes. Ester formulation stinks terribly, wreaks havok on non-target plants but is a little "hotter" and less sensitive to water chemistry.

-Joe

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use "Eliminator" and works great. It's 1/2 the price and twice as strong. That makes it a fourth the price, I think....

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marty

I use a product called "Hi-Yield" (yellow and red label)that I get at the local farm store. I'm sure there's one in
Chippewa. If they don't have it I'm sure that hardware store that sell's reloading supplies behind Burger King will have it.

It's less than half the price of Roundup and does wonders on weeds.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Roundup
I beg your pardon.

Roundup

laugh laugh laugh .....Oh, that's just great......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's always good old diesel. Very effective, biodegradable and cheap compared to Roundup.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hows about vinegar to acidify?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As has been said there are a number of brands that are the same as Round Up. Two that the local Co-Op sells are Forester and Aqua Neat. The key as said before is to look at the ingredients on Round Up and the percentages. You are looking for Glyphosate as was mentioned above. The other key is the percentage. As I remember regular RoundUp is around 41% with other formulations higher or with sticker added. The two brands mentioned above are 56%. I can't wait until Garlon comes off patent. It works great on blackberries but is over $250 per 2.5 gallons.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
"I can't wait until Garlon comes off patent."

Is that Patent NοΏ½ 5643853?
Could you make it in the bathtub for personal use if you do not sell it.

Patent number: 5643853
Filing date: Feb 28, 1995
Issue date: Jul 1, 1997

Abstract
Thiol compounds are employed in conjunction with compounds which modulate self proliferation, both as to plants and mammals. The thiol compounds find effect in enhancing the effectiveness of auxin like compounds, either as herbicides or in enhancing root formation. In addition, thiol compounds...
More about this patent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What those guys said...Glyphosate...grin...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Violator22
Alright, since we are on this subject, I got carried away with the grass seed last year, now I have grass growing in my edging rocks, any ideas on how to get rid of it? Les

Fire............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hows about vinegar to acidify?

A.) Vinegar is an expensive way to reduce pH
B.) Vinegar will not "grab" Calcium and Iron ions.

It is not just a pH (or acidity issue) and each ag chemical has a favorite pH. Most, but not ALL, like a lower pH. The materials chemically decompose in the tank more slowly, and lower pH "slingshots" them through the waxy layer on the outside of the leaf more quickly.

-Joe

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
M
marty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all the info guys!! Will have to check out the farm supply store.

Bob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 338rcm, 7mm_Loco, 17 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,453
Posts18,507,958
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.