Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 87 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 86 87
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Did 16.5 miles on trails on the bike on Sunday, and jacked up my back cleaning up the damage from the "bomb cyclone". Finally starting to feel better so hoping to get some miles in this weekend!

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Did 16.5 miles on trails on the bike on Sunday, and jacked up my back cleaning up the damage from the "bomb cyclone". Finally starting to feel better so hoping to get some miles in this weekend!

I see a road trip in your future to Oregon you and Jeff Obama will be shredding some trails

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I've got a pretty nice hardtail (decent forks front) 27.5", need to get out it more- it's been over a year

6 miles on snowy trails w/ Tiny E- about half nicely packed, the other half slushy

If you haven't yet tried it, modern road bikes might get your attention. They are the Ultralight of cycling. It's pretty cool to be powering something that is about as efficient as is possible. I'm not geeked enough to have the numbers at hand but good modern carbon fiber road bikes like my SL4 Roubaix Expert are LIGHT. Also, extremely refined, high quality machines. To quantify that a bit, when climbing I appreciate how they've engineered the frame to be really rigid in the ways that transmit power to the pavement; it feels like power in = power out, though obviously that's not the case. On downhills, the frame again is rigid where it must be and supple in other areas and the bike just carves 35 mph turns like it's on a rail.

It doesn't suck. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back is still jacked. Worse today than yesterday as of this morning. Hot hands duct taped to my back and Motrin for the day.

I was able to fling a few arrows yesterday but still laying low. New bike came but I didn't even take it out of the box.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

I see a road trip in your future to Oregon you and Jeff Obama will be shredding some trails

Yea.... no.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Treadmill, stair master, hike, pick-up heavy plates, pull on rubber bands.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 miles with Tiny Elvis; we went earlier today and found the trails much more firmly snow packed, only a few spots where the snow was soft

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Added a 3.5mile Merlot hike.
(Things were so much easier when I was the natural.) smile

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Finally found a pair of LaSportiva Akasha’s in my size at REI. Almost as good of a price as Mike. $69.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Finally found a pair of LaSportiva Akasha’s in my size at REI. Almost as good of a price as Mike. $69.

Nice find! smile

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good week for me, got to the gym every day with some new workouts to do, courtesy of the trainer. Also finally got a good pair of custom orthotics built by a guy who really knew his stuff, including fused ankles. He pointed out how fusion changes the gait and differnt muscles that I need to work on strengthening, and some that need more stretching.

And shot rifles with a bunch of new hunters on their way to getting their HE cards.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had to get a HE card to hunt elk in Colorado some years back. It was a strange and, to my mind, quite random and unsafe process. For example, the folks running it were basically a rural family who contracted with the state somehow; it was just set up on their property and was very informal. There was a frightening lack of muzzle awareness among the mostly-young attendees. Basically there was no range officer, just a whole lot of loaded rifles waving around, and as they tried to demonstrate different hunting scenarios, what constituted "down range" changed repeatedly and without clear unambiguous delineation. Hopefully it's better in CO and for that matter, better here now.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That does sound strange and nothing like any class I've been associated with. There's nothing random or unsafe about the classes I've seen. And it sounds like you got some bad instructors who didn't follow the program. Do you recall how many hours you spent in class?

First though, no one contracts with the state for this, all HE instructors are volunteers. Sometimes a paid CPW employee like a DWM will sit in and help, but HE is not their job or focus.

Second, all new instructors have background checks and attend a weekend-long new instructor course and go over the basics of the program. Plus, range safety. Then they get assigned to an experienced team and they go through an apprentice period, and have to attend more seminars to keep their status as instructors.

In class we can only spend about 3 1/2 hours on firearms and safe handling. We drill the four basic rules into the students and tell them that the best way to fail the live fire exercise is to point the muzzle in an unsafe direction. We have replica firearms (non-firing) with all the basic action types and the students have to demonstrate safe handling of those before we ever get to the range. I've taught over 1,000 studens and never seen a student point the muzzle in an unsafe direction, they know better by the time we get to the test.

When we do the live fire we are one-on-one with any students who are inexperienced with firearms. We do our shooting in an indoor range at a gun club and they have their own RSO looking over our shoulder, and they are sticklers. In fact, I forgot to put my glasses on before I walked into the range and he stopped me at the door.

Anyone who had poor muzzle control would be shown the door in a hurry.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well we were two hours and 10 degrees to late getting out today- 5 miles with some sloppy snow (not all sloppy, but most)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
CNN was on at the gym today and I couldn't help but notice that Mr. Mueller determined that our president is not a russian spy.

Very motivating.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You've gotta be schitting me, I hadn't heard.

They don't show CNN at my gym, we're predominantly heterosexual.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes. Per Mr. Mueller, our president is without guilt.

Very motivating.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
we're predominantly heterosexual.

And I accept you as a brother regardless.

We are all brothers.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
11 miles today. Mostly dry and mud with sections of snowpack/slush.

Ed T

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
That does sound strange and nothing like any class I've been associated with. There's nothing random or unsafe about the classes I've seen. And it sounds like you got some bad instructors who didn't follow the program. Do you recall how many hours you spent in class?

First though, no one contracts with the state for this, all HE instructors are volunteers. Sometimes a paid CPW employee like a DWM will sit in and help, but HE is not their job or focus.

Second, all new instructors have background checks and attend a weekend-long new instructor course and go over the basics of the program. Plus, range safety. Then they get assigned to an experienced team and they go through an apprentice period, and have to attend more seminars to keep their status as instructors.

In class we can only spend about 3 1/2 hours on firearms and safe handling. We drill the four basic rules into the students and tell them that the best way to fail the live fire exercise is to point the muzzle in an unsafe direction. We have replica firearms (non-firing) with all the basic action types and the students have to demonstrate safe handling of those before we ever get to the range. I've taught over 1,000 studens and never seen a student point the muzzle in an unsafe direction, they know better by the time we get to the test.

When we do the live fire we are one-on-one with any students who are inexperienced with firearms. We do our shooting in an indoor range at a gun club and they have their own RSO looking over our shoulder, and they are sticklers. In fact, I forgot to put my glasses on before I walked into the range and he stopped me at the door.

Anyone who had poor muzzle control would be shown the door in a hurry.

To be clear, I took the class in OR. It sounds like it's a more formal and MUCH better-run process in CO. Hopefully, what I experienced was the exception.

I think.... maybe 3-4 hours total? It's been a while. The folks doing it (a husband and wife, it appeared) certainly were well-intentioned. But I'm a stickler for sobriety and muzzle control when it comes to being around others with guns; the latter had me skeeved out more than once at the class.

Replica guns would've been AWESOME.

Got my card, and whacked an elk in CO so it was all good.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 20 of 87 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 86 87

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,706
Posts18,494,396
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.