Print Thread
Hop To
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Rifle length gas, 18" or 20" length, 1:8 twist, low profile gas block, target crown, simple and lightweight rifle.
Going on a flat top DD large pin upper.
Best barrel deals? Best BCG and bolt deals?

Experience? Recommendations?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just put together a 6.5 Grendel upper using a Saturn 5R barrel from Brownells. I used the 24" barrel but they also have an 18". The barrel comes with a headspaced bolt. I used a Brownell's upper, an M16 full auto bolt carrier assembly from PSA, a Midwest Industries handguard and an Odin Works adjustable gas block.

Brownell's 6.5 Grendel barrel

I've only had it to the range once and it was shooting moa with Hornady Black 123 gr. ELD-M ammo. I'm sure I can improve on that with handloads.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ballistic Advantage or Faxon from Armorally.com, add a toolcraft BCG, go enjoy.

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice! Thanks!
Thinking of the 24", and chopping/recrowning to 18" so to have the rifle length gas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WTM45
Nice! Thanks!
Thinking of the 24", and chopping/recrowning to 18" so to have the rifle length gas.

Disclaimer applies of not knowing your budget, of course, but you could always have Precision Firearms turn you a criterion blank to your gas/length spec. They don't have rifle length on their webpage, but I know others have gotten rifle length from them in the past. Calling or attending a gun show they sell at would be an easy way to get that squared away. They're a bit more than the BA/FF route, but then it's also a custom-turned barrel on a DAMN fine blank.

IC B2

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by armedferret
Originally Posted by WTM45
Nice! Thanks!

Disclaimer applies of not knowing your budget, of course, but you could always have Precision Firearms turn you a criterion blank to your gas/length spec. They don't have rifle length on their webpage, but I know others have gotten rifle length from them in the past. Calling or attending a gun show they sell at would be an easy way to get that squared away. They're a bit more than the BA/FF route, but then it's also a custom-turned barrel on a DAMN fine blank.

Sounds like a good route! Thanks!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would buy one of these when there back in stock. Where I bought mine accurate and reliable.

https://www.ar15part.com/20-6-5-Gre...itride-Barrel-p/2065gnu1x8fsexrlccdd.htm

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/21/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had craddock precision custom chamber a 16” Grendel barrel from a criterion blank. Pretty reasonable price and lead time. I decided I don’t want a Grendel and sold it before ever using it though...

They’ll make you one in whatever configuration you want using criterion, rock creek, or Bartlein blanks. I’d go with them over precision firearms myself if I wanted a higher end Grendel barrel, I seem to remember reading about PF having really long lead times.

I had a Lila that I paid a bunch for that was a disappointment.

If I was building a lower upper I’d try Brownells satern, or maybe a Faxon or ballistic advantage. I’d also check JSE surplus to see if they have any Wilson barrels I like

Also Wilson Combat is selling Grendel barrels, ive seem lots of reports on their 6.8 barrrels shooting well so these may be a good option

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
I had craddock precision custom chamber a 16” Grendel barrel from a criterion blank. Pretty reasonable price and lead time. I decided I don’t want a Grendel and sold it before ever using it though...

They’ll make you one in whatever configuration you want using criterion, rock creek, or Bartlein blanks. I’d go with them over precision firearms myself if I wanted a higher end Grendel barrel, I seem to remember reading about PF having really long lead times.

Depends on what you ask for. They disclaim on their website with a long lead time, which helps weed out the morons who want the best of everything to include "I gave you money and i don't have the barrel 10 minutes later rawr rabble" BS, but frequently will have a lot of things stocked and ready to go. If you're in their gun show circuit, they'll also often spin one up at the show while you wait sometimes. He's good people.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put together two uppers using Blackhole weaponry barrels in 6.5 Grendel. One is 24 inch and a 20 inch and they shoot 123 gr ELD match in tiny little groups. The 18 inch with a little more load work I think I can put 5 shots in less than .375. They are both a easy .750 with 5 shots.

I would'nt be scared to build another one. I do like there barrels as I have a 17-223 and a 20 Practical and they shoot great.

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1lessdog
I put together two uppers using Blackhole weaponry barrels in 6.5 Grendel. One is 24 inch and a 20 inch and they shoot 123 gr ELD match in tiny little groups. The 18 inch with a little more load work I think I can put 5 shots in less than .375. They are both a easy .750 with 5 shots.

I would'nt be scared to build another one. I do like there barrels as I have a 17-223 and a 20 Practical and they shoot great.

BHW no longer does Grendel barrels, they only do 264LBC which uses a different bolt face depth. Granted, as long as one gets the right bolt face it should shoot VERY well, but it's also worth noting the main reason most have gone away from the LBC chamber is because of extraction issues with the thinner extractor claw (the deeper .136" bolt face on the Grendel/Type II vs the .125" LBC/Type I provides much more reliable extraction across varying conditions). If it's just a range toy, then it's not as big a deal, but for those taking their guns afield for hunting and such the .136" bolt face depth is becoming much more preferable.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by armedferret

(the deeper .136" bolt face on the Grendel/Type II vs the .125" LBC/Type I provides much more reliable extraction across varying conditions). If it's just a range toy, then it's not as big a deal, but for those taking their guns afield for hunting and such the .136" bolt face depth is becoming much more preferable.

We'll have to disagree on that point. A quality extractor on a .125" bolt works perfectly fine, and the .125" bolt has more support for the lugs. In my experience the claim about "much more reliable extraction" of a .136" bolt doesn't hold up at all.

The real reason the .136" bolt depth is more popular is because that's what AA standardized on for the Grendel chamber, but the same chamber cut for a .125" bolt works just as well with the same ammo.

It really doesn't matter if it's called the Grendel or the LBC; yes there are minor throat differences but it's more about marketing and licensing than anything else.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 264 LBC from BHW; I've been real happy with their barrels.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 64 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.