Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm looking to build an all around hunting rifle package. I'd like to hunt out west, but mostly hunt in Mississippi. Most of my shots are well within 100 yards and 15 yards isn't uncommon.

I'm probably going with a Tikka stainless lite in 6.5 Creedmoor or possibly .300 Winmag.

I was going to go with an adjustable SWFA, but I have been contemplating a fixed power... so the 6X.

How is a 6X at short range?

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have used a 6x42 in Leupold and Meopta I’m thick woods with no problem. The closest was with the Leupold on a deer at about 10 feet and it worked perfectly

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I also prefer the #4 reticle in both

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have used a 6x42 in Leupold and Meopta I’m thick woods with no problem. The closest was with the Leupold on a deer at about 10 feet and it worked perfectly

That's pretty close. I'm worried about having too little field of view.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I haven't made a shot at 10 feet, my closest shot with a 6x power was about 25 yards. I am also with pacecars on the #4 reticle. 6x power does show detail in the shade and at dusk and dawn in the woods.

I do have some variables but the simplicity of the 6x keeps it relevant for me.

As far as the field of view, At 25 yards the deer pretty much filled the view. The location of the shot was very precise. Field of view would matter to me if I took running shots but I don't take running shots. I am therefore willing to trade field of view for detail in low light. That is each hunter's choice to make, I think.

Last edited by GrimJim; 03/23/19.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of my hunting is at short range in thick woods. I've never had a FOV problem with 6X scopes.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

I shot a moose at about 15 feet with 6x36 it was just crosshairs against fur, until I opened my other eye. If you were likely to shoot a running deer 6x wouldn't be my choice but as long as its standing or walking it will be no problem. I have several rifles with either 6x36's or 6x42's and have a 6x42 meopta waiting for the next build.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I use a 6X on two 7mm-08s and have shot as close as 20 yds and as far as 300 yds(paper) without any issues with a standard duplex.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I also hunt in MS. I have a Leupold 6x42 with heavy duplex. I have not had any problems getting on deer from 20 to 130 yds. I have a Meopta 6x42 with #4 reticle but have not yet used it for hunting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My two primary hunting rifles have 6x Leupold scopes.

The 30-06 has the 36mm version, the 25-06 has the 42mm version. I've used those rifles on elk, bear, mule deer, pronghorn, coyotes, and wolf. I find those 6x Leupold scopes to be quite good. Ranges from fairly close out to over 300 yards, no problem.

Recently put a 6x SWFA scope on my precision 308 Win as well. My goodness, that's a lot of scope for the money!

Regards, Guy

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For the closer ranges at which you are expecting the majority of your shots, a 4x would be (and is) my choice. Much easier to use overall in those situation than a 6x.

And in the open "out West" most any thing will work adequately.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's a 6x Meopro and a Coke bottle at @12 feet.

If you know how to mount a rifle, you don't have to 'search' for stuff through the scope. If you're a 'searcher' through the scope, any magnification will be a problem at 10 feet.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys for the thoughts. I got a little more thinking to do.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm very pleased with my 6 SWFA. Crystal clear at 10 yds. I went with 30 mm Warne mediums and scope clearance is about 3/16" on my 6.5X55 Tikka

Honestly though if I wasn't dialing for shots over 400 yds I'd go with a Leupold 6X36 for the big weight savings

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 03/23/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Here's a 6x Meopro and a Coke bottle at @12 feet.

If you know how to mount a rifle, you don't have to 'search' for stuff through the scope. If you're a 'searcher' through the scope, any magnification will be a problem at 10 feet.

[Linked Image]

If your scope is mounted so you naturally look through it when you mount the rifle and keep both eyes open, a 6x is no problem at close range.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
6x is my preferred scope for woods hunting. Enough detail to pick out small limbs and thread needles through openings, good in low light, enough field of view to see an entire deer at 25 yards, enough power I don't feel hindered at longer ranges. 4x works as well but given the choice I prefer 6x.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will work just fine but if I had one rifle that I was planning to use for years In both thick and open my choice would be a 2.5-8.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

Then open your other eye!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just get a 6x and forth and kill stuff. It works for me. 10 yards to 300.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Over the years, I've found that there is a lot of merit in the 6X42 Leupolds. I have two, currently. As far as magnification goes on deer, my longest shots were all done with 4X scopes.... As far as close shots, I killed my last buck, on the run at a tad over 25 yds. What I think makes the Leupold 6X42 work is their long eye relief and their large eye box. Far more important than some extra field over view. The large eye box makes it easier/faster to acquire the image, and the longer eye relief makes it easier to see past the scope when getting on a running buck. BTW, I've zeroed and rezeroed my FX3 6X42 many times, either to shift to a 300 yd. zero or for different loads. Never had it fail to move as it should, not once. Another advantage comes when the buck is in cover. Easier to find a hole in that cover to shoot through. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.