Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody running a Whiskey 5 scope in 3-15x44 or 5-25x52? I know the Sig Tango 6 tactical line is supposed to be good, a bit heavy at 32oz for their 3-18x44 illuminated reticle scope...

The Whiskey 5 5-25x52 weighs 29oz (rounding up from 28.8) It’s their more traditional hunting line offering, but the only significant differences I can tell is the color being all black compared to the tactical coloring of lighter blue/gray, and less weight.

Just curious what the thoughts, and experience is on the guts and glass....Thanks, Beav 😎

Here’s a Tango 6 3-18x44

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 so far so good! Mine are the 2 x10 x42 illuminated older style with 1" tube

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Dan...Nice shot placement on the swine 😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Sig Whiskey 5 5-25 with the milling reticle. I really like it. Heavy? yes but worth it. Nice glass and I have no issues with the eye relief. And I really like the reticle.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks BMTN....😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I went all in and bought a few Sig scopes that had a lot of solid user reviews on build, dialing, glass, and useful features. A couple of the scopes arrived today. The last scope a Whiskey5 5-25x52mm delivers next week..

Here’s what I found after opening the boxes and examining each of the two scopes.

FIRST: Sig Whiskey 5

Is a hunting scope in 3-15x44mm. Mine came with the illuminated Tri-Plex reticle known as the “Hellfire” it also has an illuminated leveling system that shows you (2) lighted triangles, one on the left, and right side of the main cross hair when looking through the scope. The triangles continue to be seen until your scope is properly leveled, then the triangular lights go off.

Independently the center red dot stays on at the brightness you select by turning the illumination dial located on the left side of the scope as apart of the parallax selector. Parallax and illumination move independently of each other and are easy to distinguish between which is which without having to move your head off the scope to see what your doing. The illumination selector is the top part of the dial which controls BOTH the red dot and the LEVELING triangles.

The power ring was firm, yet easy enough to turn that you don’t have to look down while applying torque. I’m sure this was by design to prevent any unexpected moving while carry it slung over your shoulder or moving it on top of a hunting pack as you are trying to adjust your pack and rifle for a shot in the field.

The diopter adjustment ring has knurls that were easy grab and adjust for my eye by simply looking at my white freezer while turning the ring until I could see the crosshairs is bold black.

For scopes that come with illumination, you simply unscrew the top cap cover on the first ring knob controlling brightness by turning it counter clockwise. Once the cap is removed insert the CR2032 battery into the opening and replace the cap screwing it back down.

Now the scope is powered for center red dot and triangle leveling indicators. The level indicators can be set for “Fine” and “Course” detection. Or shut off completely, only giving you the ability to see the red crosshair dot. To adjust the leveling lights you simply depress-push in on the screwed in cap (basically) applying pressure to the center of the cap and hold for 3 seconds doing this maneuver while looking through the scope. You will see a left and right triangle flashing. One flash sets for “Fine” leveling which is 0.5 degree tilt and two flashed sets leveling for “Course” which is 1.0 degree tilt. This system was designed to help long range shooters keep their scopes balanced and level...

I was glad it had the ability to shut it off completely for my use in the field. Side note: The leveling system may help during scope installation as long as you know your rifle is level and squared up before mounting the scope.Then using the lighted triangles to assist in installing your scope properly.

The color is Matte Black with bright white markings on the power ring, and turrets which is a nice for seeing in low light with older eyes..

A nice feature on this scope is the push button locking turrets system where you push a small button on the elevation turret to unlock it then rotate your knob to your sight-in zero. Once done, you simply release the button on the turret and it locks securely into place. The windage turret is capped and must be removed to access the windage dial, then replace the cap after adjustments are made.

Both elevation and windage turrets were solid, with defined clicks, no mushiness or sloppy loose feeling to them...Turret clicks were also audible. And, comes with zero stop similar to the Bushnell LRHS scope.

Glass clarity...We know this is a subjective analysis based on my eyesight, scope viewing experience, and what I have readily available to do comparisons against this scope. Let’s start with what Sig did to their glass to make them clear...HDX High Definition/High Light Transmittance Glass...Now in English. It’s just a higher grade of HD glass by using a coating called “Spectracoat” which provides a wider broadband with anti-reflection to give excellent light transmission while reducing glare. The lenses are also coated with “Lens Armor” to protect against abrasions, scratches and glass nicks.

For the clarity comparison I mounted the Whiskey 5 on my 6.5 CM, I made all the necessary adjustments and found 4” inches of eye box relief to be easily obtained for full viewing of the windshield from top to bottom-side to side.

At 3:30PM I rested the scoped rifle on my table and went through the power levels looking at things from 30 yards out to 400 yard fir trees. Near and far with slight adjustments to parallax clarity was very bright, clear with crisp edges. I could see excellent definition on the tree limbs, pine cones and crystal like detail on a crow just past 400 yards. Very good clarity...

I then took my 7WSM with Leupold VX6 in 3-18x44 that is not an “HD” model and did the same. The Whiskey 5 was better than the VX6 in producing a brighter more crisp picture...Not better by a mile, but still better...

Then I took my 28 Nosler with a Zeiss V6 5-25x50 on top and repeated the same view sampling. Keeping the power level no higher than 15 on the Zeiss for accuracy. I found the Zeiss to be better in picking up faint details of the tree branches, limbs and a better degree of light gathered producing an excellent, very clear picture of what I would look at.

I did the same test again at dusk and found the Whiskey 5 and the Leupold were about the same at a distance of 150 yards. But at the 400 yard fir tree, again the Whiskey 5 produced a clearer, better definition than the VX6.

The Zeiss bested both in lowlight. But, IMO it should, it cost 3 times as much as the Whiskey 5 and half again as much as my Leupold.

Yes, I could hunt heads with the Whiskey 5 in lowlight at least to 400 yards at 6:45PM

Weight with the added electronics in the Whiskey 5 is 25 oz. At over a pound and half the scope feel solid, sturdy, and well built.

The Whiskey 5 comes with a coupon for one free ballistic matched turret (cds like Leupold) But based on the validation dates it tells me that program offering the free turret has expired...This will cause a phone call to them to ask WTF. It’s a new scope bought from a reseller. More to come on my findings.

Warranty: Is a lifetime, transferable, no worries, no receipt or box needed guarantee to fix or replace for any reason except abuse, theft or cosmetic damage not effecting usability...A solid warranty-Unless your running electronics such as illumination. With electronics you only get 5 years from the date of manufacturing...That I can see leaving a guy with a blown red light being told hunt the scope as is without lights or your paying for repairs or being rolled into a newer scope at a reduced price point...

Now I just need to shoot the scope at the range for tracking and repeatability. The price point for this scope at full retail runs between $899-$999 But, If you look around you can find this exact scope for $625 shipped. $625 isn’t a lot to pay for what this scope is offering a guy in the field...That’s If everything works in the end correctly....😎

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/q7mm6jsh/B71-ED7-E5-E4-A6-492-E-95-D4-D74663-B8-FAE3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/RVfbp1By/4-C0-DCB31-E38-C-4-C7-C-B2-F9-81802999-F5-A2.jpg[/img]

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Actual shooting for a performance “review” is way overrated .... Let us know how it performs when you C-Clamp it to the gazebo at the local playground.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know, right?...I was thinking of setting up a target down this city street I’ve been living on for the past 6 weeks. Long story,,, surgery on our dog, etc...I’m still city bound for another 4 weeks while our mutt heals up from a hip replacement.

Speaking of Mutts, How about I send you this scope? You run it,,, give it your unbiased review... That would “Carry the Water” for most folks here, including me. And, if the scope has promise we all benefit.

😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don’t do 40oz riflescopes..... only 40oz of Malt Liquor.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You have a couch in your front yard I bet....😂😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sure do...... with my cuhnt stuck on it...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice

I take a lickin', and SOMEHOW, Keep On Tickin'!!!! smile
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Sure do...... with my cuhnt stuck on it...

🤣🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I don’t do 40oz riflescopes..... only 40oz of Malt Liquor.

YUK! grin grin

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Mickeys is good stuff...ice cold baby!

GOD Bless America
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good write up Beaver. Thanks.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

+1

A bit heavy for me. Seems a lot of scope for the price.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1

A bit heavy for me.
Seems a lot of scope for the price

DF

Those were the takeaways I got as well.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

+1

A bit heavy for me.
Seems a lot of scope for the price

DF

Those were the takeaways I got as well.

I know there is a good big of negative stuff on Leupolds, but I really like my VX-6 2-12x42 scopes. The glass is almost Alpha Euro quality and the duplex is about the best I've seen. Now, I don't do a lot of twisting, but some who use the CDS seem to like it. For sure, it's a lot lighter, fairly sleek and streamline for a 30mm scope.

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like my Leupolds. I use them more strategically on some rifles now, but all that sit on lower recoiling, less dialing rifles have a home.

We’ll have an independent field test on the Sig scope in a few weeks...I’m looking forward to what the results show from the test.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 23 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,796
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.