Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

This is a good question. Savage collecting means a lot of things to different people.

Some just like 99s, some like only pistols, or rimfires, or etc. Some don’t like pre-mils. Others do. There are a 1000 different variables.

For me it breaks down like this.

Zero interest in any Savage pistol.

Only rimfire I like is the 29A.

I really like 99s. My favorites are those built from 1914-60. I don’t mind honest wear, but I totally hate anything not original to the gun. I won’t buy an otherwise mint gun, if it has add on sling swivels. Well, I might buy it so I can trade for something better. The one single exception I have to non originality is notches in the stock to mark game taken with the gun. That is definitely character marks to me. If I kill something with a gun like that, I add a notch. I like stith mounts and receiver sights. Don’t like tang sights. I like post mils in 284. Not a fan of brush guns, but I like my saddle gun in 250. Engraved guns do nothing for me, but I like and pursue Spiegel guns. I don’t buy guns under 90K serial number, with the exception of my one single 1895.

I got more stuff but I will add it later.

You?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had always had an interest in 99's, but was sidetracked for a number of years by Winchesters. That eventually became no fun, as prices of anything interesting got ridiculous. Had one or two 99's at a time, that I had sort of fallen into. One of the last years I went to the Missouri State Trapshoot, Bass Pro had a booth on vendor's row. They had several 99's including a Spiegel, which was little understood at the time. They had a .250 with checkered stock cheeks and fancy wood, and I had my Visa card. They rubbed on the card, and I took the rifle home. I lettered it, and discovered some interesting history. I was pretty much hooked, and between this site and my deer hunting/trapshooting buddy getting interested in Savages, I was doomed. Over the years I picked up an 1895, a couple of prewar and postwar F's, a G, a couple of T's and so forth. I did pick up one pistol, an A H Fox, and a 23C to kind of round things out. I also strayed as far as a Stevens 425.

Shortness of funds when I was younger, and now old age have kept me from having a bunch more Savages.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
At this stage i mostly look for the harder to find model 99’s. In the beginning i bought whatever i saw but that changed pretty quick. I dont like anything with the tang safety no matter what caliber it is. I have a few bolt guns and pump 22’s but everything i have is Savage.

Joe

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
RAS, you saw some of my collection at Savage Fest 2018.
I like 1899's pre-1914. (the 90k thing is over blown) Some of the most elegant craftsmanship occurred then.
Otherwise I have most other models to 1950, but nothing after that except anniversary models. Thinking about the 125th lately.
I have all models/variations of production pistols. .25's, 38's & .45 are something else.
I like vintage savage pins, fobs, coins and dodads.
Only 1 1905 .22, no shotguns, combos or bolts.
All Murray' books, Bill West, Daniel Stern, James Carr and more.
Probably some other stuff but I'd have to crack the safes and look around the man cave.
So I still have lots of room to grow.... smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have two. A 1913 1899H in .303 and a 1930 99E in .300. Both are hunting rifles. I love all things Savage but my main motivation is that I love hunting with a 99.

Darryl

From the Great White North
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
First off, I don't consider myself a collector, per se. I admire Savage lever guns for their utility in the game fields, first and foremost. As I age, I spend less time hunting and more time just bench shooting so that is a factor- I don't know what my Savage future holds in store for me in that regard. I certainly don't acquire them to be building a "collection". My interest in guns is far too varied to devote my limited resources to concentrating on merely one make- one make that in truth isn't even my favorite make. '03 Springfields would bear that burden.

What I do admire is the souls who inhabit this forum. You guys have kept the Savage fire burning in me far longer than my previous history with one-make rifles would have predicted. For that I thank you. You guys led me to buy far more Savage lever guns than I would have done on my own. Enablers!

I have zero interest in Savage pistols. I find them to be unnecessarily complicated, their grip angles to be awkward, and I have yet to meet one with a decent trigger pull. Again with ergonomics/utility driving my interest in firearms. For an American pocket pistol from that era I vote for the 1903 Colt hands down. For a pre-war design overall you would have to look long and hard for one better than the Walther PP/PPk IMO.

Savage .22's? I like the various pumps for their mechanical ingenuity and novelty and should really acquire more of them. As it is, a couple Remington 12C's scratch the .22 pump itch at the moment. I really dislike the 1919/23/etc. line of .22's. Not for their relatively mundane accuracy (although my 19-33NRA will nip at the heels of a my Winchester 52A of the same period) but rather for their one piece receiver/barrels and general funky styling. Again just personal foible, I've long been spoiled by Winchester 52's and Springfield M2's in that regard. Mea culpa.

I'm being long winded, sorry. My favorite levers: circa 1912 to 1940, takedown if possible, no scopes please, tang/receiver sights all the way. Biggest no-no: recoil pads, second biggest: scope mount holes. Sling swivels wouldn't deter me from an otherwise pristine rifle- but reference my first paragraph, I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter and sometime hunter. Condition not a driving factor, but like everybody else the nicer the better. I find worn honestly used gray rats to hold a certain charm of their own- almost a little more so than a totally mint new-in-the-box gun. Post-war guns have little or no interest, and post-mils are right out there in NeverNeverLand.

One absolutely positively never to be compromised trait of any rifle, not just Savages, is bore condition. The bore is the heart of a rifle. It is the reason all the rest of the gun exists. A truly minty M1899C in .32-40 at an affordable price would get a bye from me- if it's bore was like a sewer pipe. I mean, even a high grade rifle's utility is no more than as a tomato stake if it has a crappy bore and won't function up to the standard at which it left the factory. What's its reason to exist at that point.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a broke collector with 7 of mine at auction right now. Just stomping on the rats. Hope to replace them with more condition. I think I like anything pre WWI best.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My interest is limited, and I don't plan on buying more. I've touched all the bases I wanted to. I've got six now, but unfortunately sold the first one I had bought. From oldest to newest I've got an 1899 F in .303 Savage from 1912, a 99 G takedown in 300 Savage from 1927, a 99 R in 300 Savage from 1950, a 99 EG in 300 Savage from 1952, a 99 F in 308 Winchester from 1956, and a 99 F in 300 Savage from 1957. I sold a 99 E in 300 Savage with a 24" barrel from 1961, but wish I'd kept it.

Other configurations might be interesting such as a pre-war .30-30, but I barely have time to shoot what I have. I've no interest in owning rifles I don't have time to shoot. I'm not afraid to make them shootable. The 1952 EG I added a Redfield 70A receiver sight to, but had to chop a lot of wood out of the stock to make it fit. I don't feel bad about that, because the otherwise excellent rifle had refinished pitting on the left side of the receiver.

I like them and enjoy shooting them, but I've exhausted my interest in getting more.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Im a "GUN COLLECTOR"!!!! mostly lever guns,and most of my lever guns are savages. And like Joe said most collectors are gun poor. crazy Don

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Pre 1945 holds the most interest for me. But am guilty of owning of owning several post 1945 & even three or four tang safety guns. Think I have quit buying, that is until something like the 32 40 B that came along last week. My first 32 40. Guess their is a few still out their with my name on them. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like hunting with them just as much collecting them, 99’ are my favorite,
have a few bolt action savage’s, a 170, and just picked up my first pistol a model 101. I like the guns that haven’t been altered, but wouldn’t pass up a gun in nice hunter condition, ones from the 30’s -50’s probably my favorite. Paul

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I am an accumulator. There is no rhyme, reason, or theme to my meager accumulation. If I find it interesting, and the price is good, it comes home with me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am an accumulator. Long story as to how I became infatuated with the Savage lever action but suffice to say it happened a long time ago...…..almost 60 years ago as a matter of fact. I buy the ones no one else wants. Give them the love and attention they deserve and just appreciate the firearm that manufacturers can no longer afford to manufacture. Plus, more than one white tail buck has laid down in front of them including this past deer season. I just love them. Grabbed two 1895's last fall at an auction that no one was aware of what they were and the seller of them was mortified as to what I purchased them for. Win some, lose some. This time I won big time.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess I’m a bit like my wife; we both enjoy the hunt. She enjoys garage sales, Savers, etc; I like stopping at the gun shops, gun shows, Cabelas, and the internet. I like pre-60s, with an affinity towards 1899s and pre-war 99s. Have a couple 1907s, just to have a couple.

I don’t really need to buy more, but if something nice pops up at a decent price I’ll take a shot at it. At some point I will enjoy passing some of the few nicer ones I have on to folks that will really enjoy them; Let one go to RAS last fall that made him happy and made me happy to see him happy.

I have really enjoyed taking an old 1899 303 and a 300 EG with a Stith-mounted first series Weaver K4 to the deer stand that last few years.

I guess it really does not matter what I find or stow in the safe. To me it is a hobby and activity that I enjoy .. the people, the learning, the sharing, the hunt, the shooting ... it’s all good.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 03/23/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a good question...

Pistols - Yes. Probably will never own a .25, .45 or engraved unless the price was right.

.22's - made in the 40's and earlier are all good (better add the 29-B). 29-A's, 23AA with condition are hard to pass up.

Lever rifles - I try not to buy post 60's rifles. Mostly interested in pre-WWII rifles. Rifles from the 30's, 40's and 50's have to be nice condition to get my interest. Pre-WWI can have less condition as they, in general, saw more use.

Ammo -I like the older boxes.

Savage sights - I have more than I need. They are a collection of there own.

Other Savage stuff (non-firearm) - yes

The only firearms that I have tried to collect all versions of has been the .32ACP, 99-H's and the Late 99's.

I think I've enjoyed collecting data, learning whats correct and what's not, as much as I have collecting firearms. It's a lot cheaper and can prevents you buying things that you will regret!

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guns made between the wars are the most desirable to me. There are exceptions though. The pre WW l H's and SRC's, the post war F's in 250 and 300 are a few.

They all have merit and I wouldn't argue too long or to hard against anything not listed above. Heck, the post mil pre 65 guns that are cut checkered are even starting to grow on me. I never would have said that 10 years ago.

I've owned about all of the standard grade models at one time or another other than the 95 and an SRC F.

The list of what I would buy today is short. A pre war checkered F in any caliber, A pre war 250 EG with a 22" barrel, a cut checkered 284 F or DL.

That's about it. Anybody see anything on that list that they want to part with let me know...

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was happy to find a 1977 99 in 300 sav I could afford 2 weeks later got a 1948 300sav with the stihl mount with the weaver scope .I think I am good

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I forgot to add my top priority gun to find next.

1899F SRC with over 90K serial #. I will go with any cal, but prefer 30-30. I will find one someday.

Honorable mention is an R in 358.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had one 30-30, one E in .300, two EG 250/3000, two EG .300, one R in .300, two G in .300. I bought each one to hunt with. I only have one now, the last G. I doubt I will buy another 99 unless it is just too good of a deal. Really unlikely because I am not actively looking.

The desire to have a good shooter was planted by my Dad, Grandfather, and at least four uncles who hunted with 99s.

I built a nice Mauser in 30-06 for an all around gun and have used that for the last 25 years, but kind of got bored with shooting deer at 250 yards.

My real passion is bowhunting with traditional gear - at very close range- but I wanted a nice traditional deer rifle like my fathers for close range hunting so I could be involved in hunting with my grandkids. So, I bought a G from one of you guys. It’s not perfect but I am very happy with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a very nice RS .250-3000, let it go to finance building my shop. Hope to one day own a nice TD .250-3000.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 14,545 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,304
Posts18,545,389
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.