-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took a long time to think about this and I'm still confused.

I guess I'm just a Savage collector. Period.

Have the three variations of pistols in .380, my 99 collection is way to widespread to put in order but the majority of it is 1895's and 99R's, I think I have one of every rimfire they made before 1940 excluding a 1914 and a 23AA but I'll find them. Also have a full set of 219/220 but still need a 32-20 barrel and a handful of pre-40 shotguns like my 430 in 20 ga.

See, nice and simple.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it were easy, everybody would do it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like to think of my 303 Silvertips as the bullets that were made for the Lone Ranger. Who probably should have hunted vampires as he was aptly armed for doing so.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, well, had a guy like The LR who dressed, acted, and carried flashy guns and gear shown up in Deadwood Gulch circa 1880, he wouldn't have made it out of town alive. That TV show was a wonderful morality play the likes of which is sorely lacking on the tube today. As a kid I would've cheerfully rode with him, but give me a S&W Schofield loaded with soft and splattery lead bullets for saloon gunfighting, and a Sharps rifle for putting meat on the campfire. As an adult I would've probably left him to his Lone Rangering whilst I consorted with a couple bar room floozies. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I daresay we all, with a couple exceptions, have waxed and waned over single make collecting in our lives.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/29/19.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I collect tomato stakes, here is a pic of the first one.
[Linked Image]

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I daresay we all, with a couple exceptions, have waxed and waned over single make collecting in our lives.

Oh man, I have no shame in my personal expressions of all things Savage - unless you happen to toss in an 03 Springfield or Krag or two. Then I have no shame in that as well. And that's a great picture of David with an all American classic - the 99EG!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I collect tomato stakes, here is a pic of the first one.
[Linked Image]

So I have to ask. Do you still have that EG?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think I am a collector . you fellers got them in my mind found a 1977 mod in 300 and was happy just what needed to hunt with and not worry about messing it up .3wk later found a 1948 mod in 300 with the correct mount & scope cheaper now got two thanks guys

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, it went down the road while I was in college.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh well, we can’t keep them all but with you on the EG.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am a hunter of firearms that are great looking shooters. I like guns that scratch my itches, and I get the itch for additional Savage 99s more than any other. I own a measly eight Savage 99’s. All pre-mil, none with tang cracks or drilled through the letters. No gray rats or anything that Bubba’s had his grubby hands on. I bought a handful of my 99’s from members of the Fire. Steve Brown has sold me some particularly nice specimens. But I need more... And so I continue hunting. I’m always ready to buy my first 22HP or 38-55 if I see one with the right condition/price tag. I’ve been trying to track another nice pre-war R. A stith scope would be a big bonus, but not required. I have a terrific pre-war R in 250 and it does something for me. I don’t know if I can duplicate that sensation, but I’m willing to try. If you have a nice pre-war R that wants to see a different part of the country, please shoot me a message.

My grandfather had a couple 99’s: mater stake EG 300 and another in 303 that was probably a G. I was allowed to look around his collection and could even handle the goods- as long as I wore gloves! He had a ton of guns, but the Savage 99’s always stood out to me as being super neat. Even as a teen, I found the Savage 99 to be utilitarian and sexy at the same time. It was my grandfather who got me into guns and it was surely a Savage of his that gave me the itch which led to my addiction.

Now in my mid 30’s, I am envious of what was surely the good ol’ days of nice Savages all over the place. I’m in southwest Ohio and they just don’t show up around here. Probably because you aren’t allowed to hunt with them (unless it’s a 38-55). So I resort to hunting for guns on the web. I enjoy hunting for guns that check all of my boxes. I don’t know if I was on the trail of a gun or looking up the answer to a question, but I’ve been checking out the Savage forum on the Fire for about 5 years. Finally, the need to see a picture required a membership a couple years ago. I like being a silent partner. I check out the forum at least once a day. I don’t know everything about Savages, but just about everything I know came from the forum. I own and relish Mr. Royal’s book, and I think it’s pretty cool that he is an active member on the Fire.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
44mc, you won’t stop with just two. When you made the decision to buy the second one, the hook was set. You may say “but I can stop anytime I want”..HA! Been there, done that.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally posted in August of 2015....

Been a few threads lately that make me assess levels of "Collector".

#1- Brutally serious collectors whom only want absolutely as close to perfect specimens in the safe, no tolerance for anything less.

#2- One rung down from #1 collector, who will tolerate some cosmetic blemishes, but in original condition, no noticeable field use.

#3- Those who want original condition, but will live with cosmetic blemishes from being used for their design intent, rarity factored in, and will still hunt them with care as that is their intended purpose.

#4- Those who like original grey rats with field use and character, and can tolerate a few minor alterations and will regularly shoot them and hunt em.

I understand the mentality of the #1 collector, am am glad there are a few of them around to insure the future of totally unmolested Savages remain so future generations can see them in all their glory.

The #2 collector is barely distinguishable from #1, but still won't take them out hunting even if the weather and terrain conditions aren't conducive to a flawless outing.

#3 is what I consider myself. EVERYTHING in my safe WILL go out and fill my freezer. I shoot all mine in rotation on a regular basis. I have heard, and said " If only this gun could talk". I understand the need for #1 and #2, but can't help but feel for the #1 people whom have NEVER shot their dream specimens. What the hell good is a pristine Savage 1895, 1899 or 99 that won't shoot for sheit. How do you know if you never put lead down range? Last year I took flak from co-workers for filling my freezer with my 1899-B. They said how can you take a 115 year old sweet gun out to the woods? It filled the freezer, and you know what? I looked as good when it came in as it did when it went out. I guess a #3 could be considered an "acquirrer.

#4 are folks who don't have thick wallets and still appreciate Savage levers for what they are. Dammmm good looking and dammmm fine shootin irons. Won't hesitate to refinish a sadly in need of stock, or reblue etc... to make it look like its former self.

I might be way off base, but I'll bet a pound of bologna a majority of folks on this sight relate to #3 and #4. As previously stated, #1 and #2 have their place, but economic reality's and personal convictions prevent a healthy amount of us from being #1 or #2.

Just my 2 cents. I might ruffle a few feathers, but it won't change my attitude or thoughts as to what I have put in text, but welcome difference of opinion.
Jerry

I posted this a few years back and it covers a lot of the same territory. I hesitated to do this, cause I didn't want to step on this thread, but a lot of the old timers weighted in. Glad to see RAS revisit it, and the difference 4 years made in responses.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 14,476 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,305
Posts18,545,419
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.