Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
srhull Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Wondering how this scope performs in lower light conditions (legal light of course). I'm thinking about the future which always seems to get my wallet in trouble! Wanting a Kimber Montana in 7-08. Thinking this would be the ideal scope for this gun. My typical hunting conditions are not exactly what this rifle was built for but I want a Kimber and I want a 7-08 and I like stainless/syn. FYI I am in the South so stand hunting in hardwoods and open cuttover/field areas is the norm. I have no doubt this scope is great in daylight conditions.

Wondering if any of you'll have practical experience with this scope at legal sun up and sun down shooting times.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by srhull; 04/12/07.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I think this scope is the perfect sized scope for your small Kimber. Low light performance will be good especially at if you are zoomed to 5x or below. Another good option is the VariX II - 2x7 if you are interested in saving about 100 bucks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have the same scope on my SUCKS PB&J (700 Mountain 280 Rem)

'Tis phemomenal glass. Wish it were longer so I didn't need extension rings ... but your Kimber will not have that issue.

ALL the scope you will ever need ... and then some ... in spades.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Great scope I have 3 of them and will probably get more as time goes by. About perfect for hunting.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have mostly Leupy's on my rifles, including a VX-II 2-7 (on a 7mm-08) and VX-III 2.5-8 on my 338WM and 338FED. The are great scopes and see clear in any legal light as long as they are focused properly. There is no real trick to it - turn the ring. I really don't notice a difference in the two scopes.

The pairing of either scope perfect with a lightweight Kimber in a 7mm-08.

RH

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought the new vx3 in 2.5x8 last year and it is an excellent little scope!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, the fx3 6x42 is even better if you can handle a fixed x for your application.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Steve,

I did a lot of thinking and some experimenting about this during the last season, because I was pondering what scope to put on a custom 257 Roberts that was being built for me. I was wondering about both the scope and reticle. I hunted several days in Mississippi with two different rifles. One had the older Vari-X III 2.5-8 with the standard duplex reticle, and the other was mounted with the older M8 6x42 with Leupold's heavy duplex reticle.

As it happened, the shots I took were not at first or last legal light. But under conditions ranging from overcast to clear, I always tried to "simulate" whether I could take a shot or not -- both in woods and across food plots. And though I would never actually shoot late, I kept looking at this question for several minutes after legal shooting hours ended 30 minutes after sunset. For what it's worth, I became convinced that either scope would have permitted a shot even a bit past legal hours. The real problem would have been determining whether the deer was legal or not -- either antlerless or four points or more. Of course I don't think this latter problem is to be solved by the scope, but by binoculars, and I found that to be extremely challenging with 8x30 Swaros at very last light.

I am still conflicted about which scope I am going to buy and which reticle. I love the functionality of the 6x42, but think it may look like my petite 257 Roberts is mounted on the scope rather than vice versa. I think it is extremely difficult to beat the 2.5-8 as an all-around hunting scope. I have read a lot here about how important heavy reticles are in low light. My heavy duplex was some help, but I was not convinced it was necessary. I have a hard time loving that reticle when I shoot for groups at the range, even taking into account the tricks of shooting at the corner of a square.

I now lean toward a fixed power scope for this rifle, considering it to be a bit more "classic." Right now I am thinking that I will go with a Leupold FX II 6x36 with either the standard duplex or the post and duplex (that will present the same issues in shooting for groups as the heavy duplex).

Good luck with your choice! I sometimes feel I spend more effort on these decisions than they are worth, but I guess that is part of the fun.

I will be interested in reading additional responses to your question, especially from folks who pursue southern whitetails in similar conditions, and from those whose experiences lead them to differnt conclusions than mine.

Best,

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great all around scope, and perfect on a Montana IMO. I've had 3, and liked 'em all just fine......Still have one on my pre-'64 M70 in 30-06. Took 2 deer with it last November. Also had one on a 7-08 and a M70 fwt. 7mag. They're good, clear scopes, and low light performance is sufficient in all conditions that such a scope is appropriate for.......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You will not be disappointed. I have used that same scope in South Carolina where deer are hunted for 5 months out of the year, and because of that intense pressure, deer often come out very late and move very early. There have been many times when I was about to get out of my stand over looking a field, and, seeing no deer with my naked eye, scanned the edge with the Leupold to see what was out there only to see very visible deer. I remember one huge buck in particular whose large white horns just seemed to glow. I really can't imagine how you would need more scope or a large objective lens when these smaller scopes perform so well. Additionally, I would personally never limited myself to a fixed power. You certainly won't want 6x in very thick swamp and you will want more than 4x out on a large field (especially if you are hunting an area with antler restrictions). I have never understood why folks give up the versatility of a variable for a couple of ounces or some perceived increase in reliability.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I have three of 'em. All Vari-X III's from the early 90's. For my lightwieght Mt rifles, I think they're the ultimate scopes. They balance well on my rifles, they're not to big, fit easily into a scabbard on the rare occasion I still horse hunt.

Like WoodsyAl, I found out a long time ago most decent quaility scopes will let a person see a critter past legal shooting hours. One advantage to a varible is a guy can reduce magnification to see better under marginal light. Less magnification requires less light.

All of my Leupys have the standard duplex on them. I haven't found that I need any other recticle for hunting.

The VX-II 2x-7x would be a close second except for the stupidily stiff magnificaton ring. I've owned three of them--one from each of the last three decades, and each one is a little stiffer than the other. Having said that, 5 of the last 6 elk I've killed have been with an early VX-II 2x-7x.

The biggest bang for a guy's buck is still the VX-II 3x-9x. I have several of those too.

But I can't argue with the simplicity of a fixed power either........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I am thinking that I will go with a Leupold FX II 6x36 with either the standard duplex or the post and duplex

Be aware if you want the post & duplex 6x36, they evidently have been discontinued for 2007, and old supply may be drying up. I ordered that particular model a few months ago and was then told it was unavailable.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No, you don't reduce the magnification for a "brighter" image. If anything, you increase it.
Yes, I know, the image looks brighter at the lower magnifications. But you will see more during low light conditions if you increase the magnification as far as you can.
Even the dimmest twilight requires only a 5mm exit pupil. At the 2.5-8X36, that is found at 7X.
The heavier reticles are necessary for the marginal scope sizes, like the 32-33 mm's, and during the darker nights. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
Have the same scope on my SUCKS PB&J (700 Mountain 280 Rem)

'Tis phemomenal glass. Wish it were longer so I didn't need extension rings ... but your Kimber will not have that issue.

ALL the scope you will ever need ... and then some ... in spades.

Agree...this is the uberscope for funtion and value...the crown jewel of the VXIII line.

War Damn Eagle!

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I am thinking that I will go with a Leupold FX II 6x36 with either the standard duplex or the post and duplex

Be aware if you want the post & duplex 6x36, they evidently have been discontinued for 2007, and old supply may be drying up. I ordered that particular model a few months ago and was then told it was unavailable.

Many thanks for this alert. Perhaps my decision has already been made for me! I know I can order alternatives from the custom shop, but I am not convinced that is necessary for my application.

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
S
srhull Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks guys for all the help. Ultimately my plan is for this rifle to be my 4 month old sons first rifle. Nothing wrong with getting it now huh?!

I have some concern about the recoil of this light weight rifle at to early an age (when that times comes of course), but 7-08 is a tame caliber for the most part.

I can't say it won't get used either before he gets his time with it wink

Steve

Last edited by srhull; 04/13/07.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N

You might also try the Conquest 2.5-8x32. Could be another good rig for your setup.

Nerf
S
srhull Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I do like the 3X9 Conquest I have my my Sako a lot but the eye piece being so large, practically larger than the objective, on the 32mm it just looks to ugly to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have six 2.5-8x36's. Just put the last one on my new Kimber MT 7-08 yesterday. No problem with darkness - any darker and I'd be poaching.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
srhull Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
bigwhoop can i see picks of that rig? did you use Talley's?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.