Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I think I saw on here somewhere that you are using a Luxe Megahorn tipi...is that true, and if so how do you like it?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Interested in the response as well

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have not used it in severe weather, but during ML season and summer pack ins, it has worked great. Easy to setup , and roomy for me. It takes a little practice to get it setup like the one in the advertisement, but after that it is great. I upgraded the tent stakes for the four main corners. The tent itself seems to be made well. All up it weighs 8 pounds with those new stakes. I bought a Kifaru SS , medium size box wood stove for it.That stove is 5&1/2 pounds. These tents are about 1/2 the price of a similar sized Kifaru tent and are made better , in my opinion, than the Seek Outside brand, although the Kifaru is supposedly made out of better American made material vs Chinese.

With no stove, it will sleep three, but a bit tight. With the stove, it will sleep two+ gear but again it will be tight in order to keep way from the stove.The stove jack is set in higher than Seek Outside,so you need a 9 foot stove pipe.I came up with a good way of putting guy line on the top of the stove pipe.You need them because the light weight stoves will not anchor the pipe down every well.

In snowy weather,you would probably want one of their inner tents or floor tarp or?

As with all these nylon type tents,you do get condensation,but the wood stove takes care of that fairly well .
I also bought a Klymit Static V insulated pad and pillow, DesertWalker lightweight cot and a REI lightweight camp chair..

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collec...ucts/megahorn-tipi-tent-wood-stove-jack.

Here is mine set up last summer without the stove .As you can see,I did not have it stretched out as well as the commercial photo.

[Linked Image]

With the stove and guy lines.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/31/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks to the Op for the question and SS for the info, something like that is in my future . I love my buddies wall tent and big stove, but it takes 2 horses to pack those

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the products Luxe makes. I have an Octopeak with Stove jack that I’ll run with a Lite Outdoors stove and I have a Hexpeak for early season solo use erected with one of my trekking poles. The quality is very good and after owning Seek Outside tipis I’d say the quality is very similar for a better price.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
RE the stove pipe: on the website they recommend total height of stove + stovepipe of 7 feet. Yours looks considerably higher than that....and am curious as to how you attached the guy lines to the stove pipe.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by riverdog
RE the stove pipe: on the website they recommend total height of stove + stovepipe of 7 feet. Yours looks considerably higher than that....and am curious as to how you attached the guy lines to the stove pipe.

I wanted the pipe longer to draw better, but it could be shorter by about a foot.Since I wasn't using a Luxe stove I had to wait to get everything together.I'll probably cut that down this year. I have some photos of the the guy attachment here some where.I'll see if I can't dig them up.I bougt a 3" flex plumbing coupling from Home Depot and use three tinnerman nuts to slide over it.That clamps onto the stove pipe. Then attached about 6" of hardware chain to the tinnerman nuts along with a hook to attach the para cord to.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for all the good info.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guy line attachment.( I didn't have the stove pipe perfectly square in this photo)

[Linked Image]

SS flex coupling.

[Linked Image]

Tinnerman nut and chain.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/31/19.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Saddlesore, one more question if you please. How steep/upright are the sidewalls when you have it set up tight? I have a Kifaru 8 man (20 years old now) that has curved, low, sloping sidewalls that make it difficult to put a sleeping bag very far out to the side....not much vertical room and if there is condensation, rain, snow the nylon stretches and sags and contacts the sleeping bag and my face. Everything gets wet. From the photos it looks like the Megahorn has relatively straight and steep sidewalls, which might give more usable space even though the square footage is smaller.

Also, the stovepipe set up is very well done...I was thinking you might’ve just ties on the the loop on the retainer wires.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think the Megahorn has a little more vertical,but not much. With two guys, you can get away from the walls fairly well. Stick four in and you would be right up against them . But I think you would get that same effect as you did in the Kifaru. About all these nylon type tents act the same.They can't compare to a good roomy wall tent.

I bought mine as a primary tent for one guy. A lot of room and a stove.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a car/trunk camp situation, with the large Luxe (possibly even the new dome version) do you think one could run a "normal" size/style of woodstove?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 625 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,443
Posts18,507,807
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.