Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pixarezzo

I do like the Dire Straits song "Romeo and Juliet" as well as Led Zeppelin's "The Battle of Evermore". Those have got to count for something.

Man...you must be as old as dirt to bring those old groaners up...

We must be about the same age...............grins

best,
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Michener I find offensive... His diverse writing style occasioned by having a staff of writers compiling while he edited and linked sections I find weak, uneven and flat irritating. I would rather get bamboo shoots under the fingernails than ever consider suffering through another page of his drivel... Literally took Cheasapeake to the bandsaw and turned it into something worthwhile... landfill!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bible is a tough read, course I'm not much on fiction.......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aragorn ... said "Alas, poor Yorick"

PRICELESS!!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I take it you'd rather write fiction than read it? grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
James Joyce's Ulysses.....rather eat a bullet.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
"Give me a good book of French poetry"
=================================================================

I didn't have to think too long and hard for an answer....Ms. Penny did it for me!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It's a real easy read, if you're acquainted with the author. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finnegan's Wake, too abstract
That Dark and Bloody River, too sad and depressing

Last edited by Muleskinner; 04/14/07.

Mule
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by isaac
"Give me a good book of French poetry"
=================================================================

I didn't have to think too long and hard for an answer....Ms. Penny did it for me!!

Is that your unreadable book? I could teach you to appreciate it. But first I have to work on Steelhead and the Bible... shocked crazy

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Anything by Tolkien or Hubbard, and of course"Ulysses", but the worst by FAR is "Warrior" by Capstick (he took an excellent biography of a fascinating WWI/Africa character and made it so boring that I'd rather memorize the log tables than try to read it again.

�Give me four lines of any man�s writing and I can justify a hanging.� Cardinal Richelieu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Does anyone else have books that they find totally unreadable?
<snip>
John

Black Women's Lives: Stories of Pain and Power by Kristal Brent Zook

I heard a movie review by the author while listening to NPR. She *sounded* like she had her head screwed on straight. I bought the book. I think it was February (African-American History month) and I don't TRY to be a Neanderthal.

The Intro was OK.

The first chapter was about an African-American woman who was a big shot in the TV industry. Bill Cosby had personally pulled her wagon and shilled her to the major studios after she graduated. She produced/directed several "edgy" shows that were artistic successes. Edgy, "artistic successes" are adjectives used to describe commercial flops. She had a huge entitlement complex and is very angry that studios cancel shows that do not make money. It is all a conspiracy to keep black women repressed.

The second chapter was about a lesbian in a big city who went out and antagonized drug dealers when she got bored. She is dead now. KBZ writes her up as some kind of martyred saint. I guess that is Big City Liberal PCness.

And the book goes on, and on, and on with all of these kinds of fabricated heros. I stalled out two thirds the way through it.

There were a couple of good chapters. One was on a union organizer in a fish packing plant in Mississippi. The other was a school principal that banned sugar in her school because the students (and teachers) were obese and could not sit still. The book would have been more readable by a wider audience if she had started with these people.

Another thing that made me want to puke was the number of gross techical errors. The author presented as a Professor of Journalism at Columbia University. Maybe I am naive to assume that research is a component of journalism. Example, the child of one of the sketches died in Iraq when hit by a "toe missile". Maybe I should cross-post this to Big Bores....apparently it is possible to get a projectile that is large enough to make solid toe hits lethal. I could go back to the book and sift out about three similar errors per chapter, but I just don't have the energy to open that book back up.

-Joe

PS: Senate was going to make March Hispanic History month, but a lobby of Big City mayors insisted that March would have to be shorted to 28 days before it was done.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found a few simple standards that seem to work for me.
If the pointed headed perfessors think it's great, it's going to be tedious.
If the women folk think it's 'wonderful' it's going to be incomprehensible.
If the twirps in Hollywood think it's a whole new way of looking at something, it's going to be silly.
If it's on the NY Times best selller list chances are it's compost.
Jim

Last edited by arkypete; 04/14/07.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anything on Oprah's list is a must advoid.

I can say that Handloading for Competition is hard to read - not content but style.

The only "classic" I ever found ritveting was Moby Dick - the rest rubbish. I believe most HS students would do better to read Sherlock Holmes with an eye toward the social and behavorial tendencies in that book than say Walden or Beowolf.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Moby Dick.

One of the classics. A great book but not for me. I just could not wade through it. Well, take that back, I did read through it all the way but it took me three years.

BCR

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ben Hur, by Lewis Wallace. Wallace had the habit of over describing stuff. He would litally go on for 2 pages about the flowers on a hillside. If you left out the padding, the book was 50 pages long.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Rich Media, Poor Democracy
The Fourth Turning

Both have interesting information but are written flat as a board.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeMama
� the number of gross techical errors. The author presented as a Professor of Journalism at Columbia University. Maybe I am naive to assume that research is a component of journalism. Example, the child of one of the sketches died in Iraq when hit by a "toe missile". � I could go back to the book and sift out about three similar errors per chapter, but I just don't have the energy to open that book back up. �

I may still have the first edition of an obscure book that was very readable but so shot-through with all kinds of errors that after a while, disgust gave way to hilarity. For years, my son and I used that book as a game. We'd open it at random with eyes closed, "stab" a finger onto a page, then look to see whether the fingered paragraph was free from errors.

Never found one that had no error � no stupid mistake � no wrong word (like lay for lie, healthy for healthful, incredulous for incredible, or centurion for centenarian, for example), no misspelling, no grossly bad sentence structure, no wrong punctuation, etc.

Too bad. Its contents were worthy. The author knew his subject well and in the main presented it well. He should've been able, as a high-school teacher, to do a better job, and the publisher should've had the draft edited before he published it. I think that later editions were done better.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Last Of The Mohicians.

I had to force myself to finish it and did so because I wanted to know the story.

James Fenmore Cooper had to have the worst writing style I've ever tried to read.

It is a great story, too bad Louis La'more didn't write it. ;-)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
The Last Of The Mohicians.
I had to force myself to finish it and did so because I wanted to know the story.
James Fenmore Cooper had to have the worst writing style I've ever tried to read.
It is a great story, too bad Louis La'more didn't write it. ;-)

You're superbly qualified to thoroughly enjoy what Mark Twain wrote about Cooper's writing. It's been published (often) as two essays:

� "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses"
and
� "Cooper's Further Literary Offenses"

The first is easier to find and more enjoyable for readers. Any good librarian should be able to get it for you. It has been anthologized much more often than the second.
The second is more interesting for writers.

I wish I knew where to lay my hands on my copies. I'd get a kick out of reading 'em again.

grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 60 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.