I don't make candy all that often. It is exacting, time consuming, and for me, prone to failure.
I was talking to my Mom the other day, about my younger days, and she reminded me that I used to love Divinity, and how often she made it.
Well that did it. I broke out my 4 quart French solid copper 'sugar pot', and waded in.
The results are beyond belief. Fluffy, sweet, full of black walnuts and dates.
This recipe is adapted from one in the old Joy of Cooking book.

Put three cups sugar, 3/4 cup water, and 3/4 cup clear Karo syrup in a heavy, deep pan.
Heat, while stirring, until the sugar disolves. Stop stirring.
Cook over medium heat until the syrup hits 290F. I use a digital candy thermometer. It takes a long time to get that hot, but once you reach about 265, it really peaks quickly. Do not heat it above that point. Do NOT stir the syrup as it boils.

While the syrup is heating, beat three jumbo egg whites to a firm peak. I throw in a 1/4 tsp each of Cream of Tartar and kosher salt.

When the syrup hits 290, remove the pot from the stove, and with the mixer on high speed, ladle about half a cup of the syrup into the beaten egg whites. Keep the mixer going on medium + speed. I use a 6 qt KitchenAid Professional mixer.
Put the pot back on the heat, to keep the the remaining syrup hot while you beat the syrup into the egg whites.

Repeat this step until all the syrup is incorporated into the egg whites.
Add in one teaspoon of top quality vanilla.
Add in the nuts and dates

Continue to beat until the mixture loses its gloss, and becomes firm. You have to work quickly now, while the mixture is hot.

Pour into a very lightly buttered dish or pan. It will get very sticky and hard to work with as it cools.
Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
When cooled to room temp, score with a knife into pieces, and cover with plastic wrap. I always eat at LEAST two pcs while it is hot, to do quality control.

The Divinity is better a day or so later, when it softens a bit, and takes on that ever so slightly grainy, chewy aspect.

Sam......