Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
A big thumbs down for post #19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

samberbean No one gives a sh it.

Nichols

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am hoping he meant Nickel AG http://www.nickel-ag.com/, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I do not foresee the end to the increasingly useless questions about obsolete technology, so I am going to take my leave from this discussion.

ILya

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by koshkin
I am hoping he meant Nickel AG http://www.nickel-ag.com/, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I do not foresee the end to the increasingly useless questions about obsolete technology, so I am going to take my leave from this discussion.

ILya

I’m always amazed at how guys that don’t squat about optics want to debate you over your statements. Absolutely ridiculous.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
S
Sorry to hear you're going ILya, as you did explain quite a lot and I am glad of your help. I'm not sure what your reference to Nickel AG was about. I am familiar with the brand's website but, since they only seem to sell by mail order at extremely high prices, I may never try one of their scopes. They are not great correspondents, though, and it took me an age to get them to admit they didn't even know what the B in B.Nickel had stood for. I imagine their scopes are pretty good but recall some other forum members saying that when Hertel & Reuss got hold of Nickel Marburg around 1970 the optical quality dropped. Can't say I've noticed with my later ones but that's not the matter I obsess about.

By the way, in regard to the different and proprietory technology you've mentioned, I've finally discovered how Pecar was able to offer replaceable reticles in their constantly centred, Champion line. Apparently their erector set remained fixed in the outer tube but they used a constricted ring around the FFP reticle to create a field stop at that point. This was how I imagined image-movement worked when I first heard about it 50+ years ago, and it explained in my mind why there might be a lessening of FoV and an increase in tunnel vision, as one of the scribes of the time suggested. Since the Champion came later, however, I don't suppose that was the reason. I don't know whether those deficiencies exist in these Pecar scopes but a mate has one he is going to lend me, to find out. Such a system should at least be more robust.

As to the 458 Lott business, Kingston, I've asked some guys on another forum and hear that since there are at least two mainstream companies chambering that calibre and at least two others loading the cartridges, the numbers of rifles could exceed 1000. Apparently the custom gunsmith D'Arcy Echols has made at least 20 himself. Add to these guys the ones who have long-throated 458 Wins, which allow greater powder capacity, and I think the application for super-strong scopes is definitely there (if not here smile )

I must say I have never come across quite so many trolls with so little to contribute bar venom. If you think the discussion should go in another direction, do as prairie goat did and talk about the aspects you think matter.

What is an optics forum really supposed to talk about? Is it limited to who paid most for their scope or at what range you can see a bee's dick with it?

What's the matter with your signature line JGRaider? I see this high-minded, almost Godly, statement when I first open your posts but it disappears when I look back. Is it ashamed of the hypocrisy you may be accused of?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sambarman338
but that's not the matter I obsess about.

maybe your are picking up that no one else is obsessed with what you are obsessed with.

S
S
Finally, Jimmy, you are right. And since ILya has left the field, I might do likewise. If told, I've forgotten what his own qualifications were but at least he had a go and provided some good arguments, rather than lame and vacuous insults.

Adios

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
S
Thanks Kingston, most unexpected.

In regard to your thoughts on wearing tweed, I assure you the guys I know who hunt sambar with .458s are not rich, and are anything but snobs. Not only don't they wear tweed but one has written a long article on why we should wear blaze-orange camo. That's not a popular colour here, either, even though scientists have long said deer only see colors at the ultraviolet end of the spectrum.

The same man (Ken Pearce), who wrote a very successful book on sambar hunting called Walking Them Up, told me my cover needs a more-obvious reticle in the scope. So, when I have time, I add one (see link) by hand for people who request it. Though as-printed copies are being retailed in the USA, you could ask the publishers for the $US32 posted price. Members who want a signed and/or reticle-enhanced copy, should tell Bunduki that, pay for it, and then PM me with your address.

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/15671

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by TWR

When I was thinking on one, I read a couple of reviews from guys who used Frank Proctor's and they thought the scope was stretching it for use on 8x. One even said if you were gonna use it as a 1-6 it would be fine but if you wanted the 1-8 spring for the ATACR. Sound about right?

No. And yes. The whole use of a LPV is that 1x is more important than high power, but at times you need a bit of magnification though not at the at expense of close rangespeed. On an M4 close range speed is 70-80% of the task, medium range target ID and targeting is the reminder. Low power must be as close to 1x, with as wide a field of view as possible, and with a reticle that works. High power needs to be usable- that’s all. Even the ATACR isn’t as “nice” at 8x as say the 2.5-10x is on 8x. It’s a give and take. If I planned to, or need to be on more than 1x the majority of time, then the 2.-5-10x, 3-9x, 3-12x, etc come out with an offset red dot.

For what a 1-8x is most used for, I actually prefer the NX8.

Well I finally found one in stock at a local dealer, dude was asking $200 more than list price so anyway. I liked everything about the scope the optics were a chit ton better than my old NF 1-4 the FFP reticle works well, the illumination is stellar, and I loved the capped windage turret! I did not think it got too dark in the store at 8x? I even adjusted the ocular to focus on the reticle better, its a great scope. Just after looking at it I just cannot bring myself to buy it with the uncapped elevation turret. Damn want to buy one but I guess got to wait.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Well I finally found one in stock at a local dealer, dude was asking $200 more than list price so anyway. I liked everything about the scope the optics were a chit ton better than my old NF 1-4 the FFP reticle works well, the illumination is stellar, and I loved the capped windage turret! I did not think it got too dark in the store at 8x? I even adjusted the ocular to focus on the reticle better, its a great scope. Just after looking at it I just cannot bring myself to buy it with the uncapped elevation turret. Damn want to buy one but I guess got to wait.

What's your problem with a uncapped elevation turret jimmyp??

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For a rough use rifle that has the potential for being in car seats, on the floor of a truck, carried in a bag, used a lot and for only a 1-8 I have no desire for an uncapped turret. Further they make a capped elevation turret in this model but will only sell it to LEO and .mil

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Very excited for these.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you're someone who needs the extra x's that would be interesting. More x's than I need and the extra weight puts it over the top for me......but it should be a rugged/compact package for that power range.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Jay, I didn't think I needed nor wanted more X's, until I tried more X's. Man its nice for long range work. There's no hunting situation where I'd turn up the power, but for playing it sure is nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody want a good deal on a Vortex Gen II 4.5-27? wink

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
NF hit a home run with this line. Now if they'd make a few tweaks (which they won't) to the 2.5-10x42 I'd have all basis covered and be a happy man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ctsmith:

You still shooting that 300WM ya got from me??

Last edited by 300MAG; 04/04/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What are the details on the new scopes? Can’t see them without logging in to schitt azzed snipers hole.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,085
Posts18,521,874
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.