Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Let me just set the record straight. I'm no saint, no "let me sacrifice everything so that this man that I love can have yet another firerm" kind of girl. In fact, if you had told me that I would be buying my husband three NICE rifles in as many years, I guess my first thought would have been, "Why? Has the world run out of jewelry, lawn furniture, and other sensible things for me to buy?"

I'm not rich either. Ever ask a little kid how old he is? Chances are, the number of grubby little fingers he holds up is roughly the same number as my income, dollars per hour, after Uncle Sam has ravaged my paycheck. Oh, and I work just two half-days a week. The only time my banker is really excited to see me is when she accidently mistakes me for someone else.

So... why another rifle? Honestly... I had no choice! There was no financial windfall, no lonely spot in the rear corner of David's gun safe... there was just David. And a bone spur.

It was a big bone spur, and it looked like a fang on his shoulder bone. A little matching one was just a bit further in. Routine surgery was scheduled, and it was clear that he wouldn't be able to shoot for a while. When at last the doctor did allow it, word was, it would have to be something a bit easier on him than his current repertoire of rifles would be. David took all this in stride, because excuses to buy new firearms come in all shapes and sizes.

He began sort of casually researching this new gun purchase by asking questions of those of you who had similar surgeries, and got lots of input on lighter loads, what rounds are comfortable to shoot post-surgery, and so on. Finally, his attention came to rest on a Kimber. I don't remember which Kimber it was, but I do remember the price. It was a lot.

I think David knew it would be tough to swing it, but it sure was a pretty gun. I'd catch him tooking at it in the magazine late at night when he was supposed to be just "reading the articles" of that darn gun magazine. He looked at this thing like it was the Hoochie Mama from Heaven. He looked at it earnestly, lovingly, even reverently. He looked at it the way he used to look at me. Then he'd stare off into the distance, sigh, and go back to doing our taxes, or whatever it was he'd been doing before.

One day, I accompanied him to a gun show. I like to look at the antiques they sometimes have there, and I suppose I like to keep an eye on him a bit. He has a history of going to gun shows ostensibly to sell some old thing, and coming home with a new old thing. Anyway, as David is off and wandering, our friend Tom D. approaches me and asks if David is there, and says he's got the perfect gun for his recovery period. I asked a few questions, and the price was right. Tom is as honest as they come, so I bought the thing, sight unseen. I was so unfamiliar with the caliber (it's a something-something 250-3000) I had to write it down! I later found my note, thought it was a phone number I needed, and tried to call it! So much for being knowledgeable about guns!

I guess I bought the gun in self defense... self defense of our little budget... but also because the look on David's face is worth it every time. Now, Honey, if you're reading this, about that lawn furniture...

Huntress

"I pressed on, taking fresh trouble for granted..." Captain Juan Francisco de Bodega y Quadra
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinLady, you gots CLASS!!! Pick out good lawn furniture grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lawn furniture that goes well with the new jewellery rightwink

Please don't feed the trolls!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Huntress

A message for your Husband. Boy, you'd better plan on treatin' dat dere woman right? Y'hear? grin

Bolivar

Often the intelligence of others is incorrectly gauged by how closely their opinions match our own.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good for you! I am in the midst of building one for my wife!

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A classy cartridge certainly deserves some classy lawn furniture, hint, hint!!!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Marry me!! wink

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Swedishgirl,

That's what has marriages flourish, and endure.
It's a two way street; he takes good care of you, and you take good care of him, or visa versa. Doesn't matter who goes first. But, that needs to continue till the final curtain comes down.
Good for you!!!!

Don

Edit to add: Welcome to the Campfire. This place needs good people like you.

Last edited by DMB; 04/15/07.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, he is a lucky man!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice job! With the budget and all mentioned, it still reads to me like a thoughtful act, one without regarding returns. Although a nice pendant wouldn't hurt, as my Mrs. pointed out one Christmas time.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
It is not lost on me that I scored heavily in the wife department!

;-}

DWW

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And it is obvious you take care of each other.

It also will not hurt him to use the little rifle even after he recovers. In fact, it will probably help him feel better in his, ah, golden years....

Good hunting to both of you,
JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
David................now i remember the surgery you refered to.......hope your not going to test fire that rifle headed your way espeially not with the loads sent with it.....ill tell yah now it aint going to be fun with your shoulder grin congrats on the wife shes a keeper

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That is one of the sweetest things I have heard in a while. I thought I was the only one that had a wife like that. Good job girl. reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post.
Thoughtful and very well constructed.
You need a column........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swedishgirl67
Let me just set the record straight. I'm no saint, no "let me sacrifice everything so that this man that I love can have yet another firerm" kind of girl. In fact, if you had told me that I would be buying my husband three NICE rifles in as many years, I guess my first thought would have been, "Why? Has the world run out of jewelry, lawn furniture, and other sensible things for me to buy?"

I'm not rich either. Ever ask a little kid how old he is? Chances are, the number of grubby little fingers he holds up is roughly the same number as my income, dollars per hour, after Uncle Sam has ravaged my paycheck. Oh, and I work just two half-days a week. The only time my banker is really excited to see me is when she accidently mistakes me for someone else.

So... why another rifle? Honestly... I had no choice! There was no financial windfall, no lonely spot in the rear corner of David's gun safe... there was just David. And a bone spur.

It was a big bone spur, and it looked like a fang on his shoulder bone. A little matching one was just a bit further in. Routine surgery was scheduled, and it was clear that he wouldn't be able to shoot for a while. When at last the doctor did allow it, word was, it would have to be something a bit easier on him than his current repertoire of rifles would be. David took all this in stride, because excuses to buy new firearms come in all shapes and sizes.

He began sort of casually researching this new gun purchase by asking questions of those of you who had similar surgeries, and got lots of input on lighter loads, what rounds are comfortable to shoot post-surgery, and so on. Finally, his attention came to rest on a Kimber. I don't remember which Kimber it was, but I do remember the price. It was a lot.

I think David knew it would be tough to swing it, but it sure was a pretty gun. I'd catch him tooking at it in the magazine late at night when he was supposed to be just "reading the articles" of that darn gun magazine. He looked at this thing like it was the Hoochie Mama from Heaven. He looked at it earnestly, lovingly, even reverently. He looked at it the way he used to look at me. Then he'd stare off into the distance, sigh, and go back to doing our taxes, or whatever it was he'd been doing before.

One day, I accompanied him to a gun show. I like to look at the antiques they sometimes have there, and I suppose I like to keep an eye on him a bit. He has a history of going to gun shows ostensibly to sell some old thing, and coming home with a new old thing. Anyway, as David is off and wandering, our friend Tom D. approaches me and asks if David is there, and says he's got the perfect gun for his recovery period. I asked a few questions, and the price was right. Tom is as honest as they come, so I bought the thing, sight unseen. I was so unfamiliar with the caliber (it's a something-something 250-3000) I had to write it down! I later found my note, thought it was a phone number I needed, and tried to call it! So much for being knowledgeable about guns!

I guess I bought the gun in self defense... self defense of our little budget... but also because the look on David's face is worth it every time. Now, Honey, if you're reading this, about that lawn furniture...

Huntress

I would like you to meet my wife Betty, Betty, this is Swedishgirl... laugh

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Rattler,

After discussions with Ernie, and based on the recommendations of dogzapper and Mule Deer, I'm going to make it a switch barrel 375/270 WSM.

Still not sure I'll get to shoot it this year, even with the 270 WSM barrel, but I'm planning on next year, for sure!

Last edited by David_Walter; 04/15/07.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by DMB
Swedishgirl,

That's what has marriages flourish, and endure.
It's a two way street; he takes good care of you, and you take good care of him, or visa versa.

You know, Don, I read something like that somewhere... about if marriage takes 100% effort, and both parties are giving 60%, then your marriage has an over-100% chance of success. I like that idea.

Whoops... didn't mean to girly-up your cool forum. Sorry, guys! Won't happen again!

Huntress

"I pressed on, taking fresh trouble for granted..." Captain Juan Francisco de Bodega y Quadra
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Great post.
Thoughtful and very well constructed.
You need a column........

Make me an offer!!! (Oh, and THANK YOU!!)
Huntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife has never bought me a gun. However, she does have a history of coming home from a trip with a sly smile on her face, a fancy little box or some such, and the phrase "honey, I owe you a gun......". I never check the bank statement those months...... wink Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 47 invisible), 3,439 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,552
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.