Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I wonder about the xdm myself, wish there were more reviews on the gun and its performance. I would want to disable the grip safety as well, foolish idea in my opinion.

I have sold dozens of them to customers. Not a single lemon among them so far.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Got it.
I had a few years back a G20 SF that I retrofitted with Meprolite adjustable tritium sights and a 6" KKM barrel. I liked that rig! I got rid of it years ago but kept the KKM barrel. I wonder if it would work in the G40? 😎

With 6" barrel, I'd think it would.

DF

Caution -
It'll physically fit, but if it was a G20sf barrel it probably has the gen 3 guide rod cut, which is smaller than what the G40 needs. The difference is just a radius cut in front of the locking lugs and is the spot where the guide rod sits; the head of gen 4 guide rods is bigger than the gen 3 guide rods.

Because of that, gen 4 barrels are reverse compatible with gen 3 guns, but not the other way around. You can cause some problems using that gen 3 barrel in a gen 4.

However, if you're pretty handy with tools or know a local friendly machinist, enlarging that radius is possible.

Yondering,
Good info there, I probably ought to check with KKM before I try the swap. I love the barrel, it turned that G20 of mine into a hunting machine. I was very impressed with the accuracy-from slow factory 'target' loads all the way to hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood stuff.

Just had a thought. Why don't you contact KKM and see if they would alter your Gen 3 barrel to work with a Gen 4 gun.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another "vote" for the EAA Witness! I have two, a "stainless" like the one in the earlier poster's photo, and a blued version. Like them both - a lot. Also have a 10mm RIA 1911. I really like the 10mm round, but had a bad experience with a G20 and a case blowout - so I'm "off" of 10mm Glocks.

Mike Holmes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering

Got it.
I had a few years back a G20 SF that I retrofitted with Meprolite adjustable tritium sights and a 6" KKM barrel. I liked that rig! I got rid of it years ago but kept the KKM barrel. I wonder if it would work in the G40? 😎

With 6" barrel, I'd think it would.

DF

Caution -
It'll physically fit, but if it was a G20sf barrel it probably has the gen 3 guide rod cut, which is smaller than what the G40 needs. The difference is just a radius cut in front of the locking lugs and is the spot where the guide rod sits; the head of gen 4 guide rods is bigger than the gen 3 guide rods.

Because of that, gen 4 barrels are reverse compatible with gen 3 guns, but not the other way around. You can cause some problems using that gen 3 barrel in a gen 4.

However, if you're pretty handy with tools or know a local friendly machinist, enlarging that radius is possible.

Yondering,
Good info there, I probably ought to check with KKM before I try the swap. I love the barrel, it turned that G20 of mine into a hunting machine. I was very impressed with the accuracy-from slow factory 'target' loads all the way to hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood stuff.

Just had a thought. Why don't you contact KKM and see if they would alter your Gen 3 barrel to work with a Gen 4 gun.

DF

Good idea! I will get in touch with KKM and see what they have to say.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Another "vote" for the EAA Witness! I have two, a "stainless" like the one in the earlier poster's photo, and a blued version. Like them both - a lot. Also have a 10mm RIA 1911. I really like the 10mm round, but had a bad experience with a G20 and a case blowout - so I'm "off" of 10mm Glocks.

Mike Holmes
I've had a lot of different 10mm's. Two were 20's. I've always feared what you describe and so I no longer have a 20.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Mike Holmes
I've had a lot of different 10mm's. Two were 20's. I've always feared what you describe and so I no longer have a 20.

I had some concerns that way also after shooting a fair amount of Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo in my 20s/29s. I had a few cases that were visibly bulging. That was the main reason I bought that KKM barrel.
I have heard, however, that Glock has more case support in the current 10mm offerings than with the Gen 3 and prior models?
?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Mike Holmes

Is the G40 different?

And, does the KMM barrel correct whatever deficiency the G20 may have?

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Mike Holmes

Mike was that a handload? Also what gen G20 had the case failure?
How accurate is the 10mm witness?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine shoots like a match gun. I get 1187 fps from a 200 XTP and 1503 fps with a 135 Nosler JHP.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here is a rented today Gen 4 G20 against a couple of 9's, my spare P365 is shooting plus a gen3 17, the g20 was shooting S&B 180 fmj 20 a box junk ammo. Once I overcame my fear of the wrist breaking recoil in the G20 and fighting back tears due to recoil trauma, it turned out that the G20 shot pretty good. All the targets are sideways cause I was holding the gun on its side like in the movies. Top target is the 10. Fotis if the shorter XDM 10 will out shoot a glock let me know, I would be very interested.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Yondering,

Yeah, KKM makes great barrels, quality stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Here is a rented today Gen 4 G20 against a couple of 9's, my spare P365 is shooting plus a gen3 17, the g20 was shooting S&B 180 fmj 20 a box junk ammo. Once I overcame my fear of the wrist breaking recoil in the G20 and fighting back tears due to recoil trauma, it turned out that the G20 shot pretty good. All the targets are sideways cause I was holding the gun on its side like in the movies. Top target is the 10. Fotis if the shorter XDM 10 will out shoot a glock let me know, I would be very interested.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Curious why you feel the S&B 180 gr fmj is junk ammo?

I think the stuff is pretty righteous, myself. Just bought another five hundred of them from SGAmmo a few weeks ago.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

Got it.

If not, you can sell it to me.

It is the only aftermarket barrel I have ever tried in my Glocks, and it did quite well. In fact, I'm sort of kicking myself for ever selling that Gen3 G20-it was a great 'host'.

I never sold my Gen3 G20 SF. :-))

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well if it makes you feel any better I thought it was pretty accurate out of the gun. It was cheapest, and it was FMJ so....

I called it junk for dramatic flair in my post. Actually I have no idea how good it is compared to other.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought the S&B first because I like their .45 acp and 9mm. Have not found any reason to change.

Please flair away. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I bought the S&B first because I like their .45 acp and 9mm. Have not found any reason to change.

Please flair away. smile

It's good ammo for the money. Not bad cases for reloading, either.

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seems alot of you like the 10mm!

Been googling the Springfield XDM ans EAA Witness. Like the looks of the Springfield a bit better but need to get a G20, XDM, and Witness in my hands to see how they feel. I've shot a couple of the bigger glocks and the grip feels weird to me. I have rather average size hands so maybe thats the issue. I'm curious how XDM/Witness feel.

Probably going to sell my Ruger SS Security Six 357 to fund a 10mm. Just need to determine which one I shoot best.

Keep the conversation going.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I like my SF G20. Although I would like to try the Springfield.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bobmn
I would consider a 1911 with a 460 Rowland Clark conversion if I was concerned about "big brown inland growlies". A 230 grain flat nose hard cast lead bullet at 1200 fps is approaching 44 mag territory.

OP, I would invest in the time to research the .460 Rowland. You talk about follow up shots. The Clark Comp is very well designed.

My on target follow up shots with the .460 is better than any other big handgun I shoot. All the way down to include .357 Magnum revolvers. Much faster than the 10mm's I have.

Look at the video's. Don't take my word for it.

You can get the kit for the Glock also.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You can see how horrible the gen 4 glock 20 shoots with its abortion of a trigger, looking at my 30 feet targets with 180 grain S&B ammo. Its just sad that they still are revered as "perfection"...sad, sad, sad....OTOH I really want to try the SA 10 I have held it and it seemed nose heavy to me, which may be a good thing, the grip seemed like it had less circumference, and the grip seemed more in line with a 1911 grip angle, the trigger was mushy feeling and I don't know how to fix one of those triggers....

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.