Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Good Day,
Just acquired a 99 Take down in 30-30. I believe it to be a model G and shop said it is a 1927. No beauty queen but also, no extra holes or cracks and the bore looks good. So the sights are nice but a bit difficult to pick up quick as I am no spring chicken.

Wondering about a tang or peep sight as I have never had one and shoot open sights on muzzle loaders only.

So it looks like these sights are not readily available but what should I be looking for and does anyone have one that they would part with?

Also, would I have to monkey around with front sight if I could find a peep or tang sight.

Thanks a lot
Smiley

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Smiley1954
Good Day,
Just acquired a 99 Take down in 30-30. I believe it to be a model G and shop said it is a 1927. No beauty queen but also, no extra holes or cracks and the bore looks good. So the sights are nice but a bit difficult to pick up quick as I am no spring chicken.

Wondering about a tang or peep sight as I have never had one and shoot open sights on muzzle loaders only.

So it looks like these sights are not readily available but what should I be looking for and does anyone have one that they would part with?

Also, would I have to monkey around with front sight if I could find a peep or tang sight.

Thanks a lot
Smiley

I am itching to try this 30-30 I just put together. I'll get back with a report when I do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
man Roy! where did you get that fore arm wood? Sexy!

OP. best place to find a choice of tang sights for the 99 is Ebay. they pop up almost daily. not inexpensive but they are there.

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/06/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Another good source is Ken "Sightman" Bean.The stuff I've bought from him was quality condition and I felt fair and competitively priced. Last time I talked to him he said he was trying to sell the business. I don't know of many folks knowledgeable enough to buy it. His number is 717 755 9070. He's in York PA.

Another option is one of Mikes "Lightfoot" no drill mounts. Mike is a member here and you can PM him, his user name is Lightfoot. The front mount goes in the rear sight dovetail, and the rear uses the factory holes for the tang sight. I put 0ne 0n my 1927 F and love it.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I could be wrong, but isn't that butt stock a bit familiar?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cooooould beeee........ grin

Total parts gun.

Last edited by Fireball2; 04/06/19.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Roy, one of these days I'm going to sprinkle some Tinker Bell Dust on a 1915 250, and it's gonna make even your eyes pop. The plans are in the works, but I just dropped 10K on a portable building for my hunting camp.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look forward to that Joe! I was just burnin up parts and next thing you know here's a 30-30. Not w/o it's challenges let me tell ya!

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Total parts gun.

Glad you could put it to good use!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good Day,

Thanks a lot
Smiley

Mr. Smiley1954 - I may have a marbles tang sight in need of some repair I could cut loose if you are interested in a project at the right price.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
PM sent

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Total parts gun.

I would rather have good looking parts gun (shooter of course) than a beat up sling studs, after market d & t grey rat.. my .02

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Peep sights for these guns are still being made. Maybe try to search around on the internet and you'll find a bunch. There are a lot of them on eBay everyday..... buying one that needs repaired is almost always going to end up costing more.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. The new offerings by Lyman and Marble's are chintzy pieces o' crap. Best to spring for a vintage one, if you know what's good for you.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker

I really have no idea Tom. A guy gets it where he can right? laugh

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker

I really have no idea Tom. A guy gets it where he can right? laugh

i remember those days! grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
PM sent

I just PMd' ya back.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 26 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.