Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"The Boy Scouts of America was formed in 1910, and it has been reported that since its inception, the leaders of the Boy Scouts kept secret files on thousands of cases of sexual abuse. In 2012, the Los Angeles Times reported that after a review of 1,600 confidential files from 1970 to 1991, the Scouting officials quietly urged admitted offenders to resign and likely covered the tracks of these predators."

This is going to result in an avalanche of legal claims. Similar to the Catholic Church debacle, but without the deep pockets to withstand the assault.

https://abusedinscouting.com/

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
no surprise here

Sam......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, I have never been to a Catholic church but the massive scandals there are well known.
However I was in Boy Scouts for years. One or two years as a Cub, then three years in Boy Scouts, and then Explorer Scouts for two more years. I had a dozen or more Scoutmasters or advisors, or helpers. I went on more campouts than I could count, where we spent the night camping out in the woods in north Georgia.
I went to summer camp at Camp Bert Adams three or four times, each time was there for a week.

I knew dozens, probably hundreds of Boy Scouts. And I never heard of any of this pedophelia stuff going on.

As for the Catholics, the rules are that a priest cannot bang women. I never read the part of the Bible where Jesus said, "If thou bangest a woman, that means that You Hate God."

I don't know how the Catholics came up with this idea but, no sex with women for a priest? What in the world. Of course, the majority of men who would agree to this are gay boys or perverts. So sex perversion in the Catholic church is to be expected.

But, most all of our Scoutmasters were real men. Mostly WW2 veterans, we had a Marine Colonel for a scoutmaster for a while, these guys were real men, usually had a wife and children, and usually had a son in the Scouts.

Of course in any group with thousands of male Scoutmasters, you are going to get a pervert or two but I would really be surprised if this pedophelia has been widespread in the Boy Scouts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
no surprise here

+1

Last edited by mtnsnake; 04/06/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm on board with the point about "our" scout leaders being WW2 vets with families. However, there were queers back in WW2, which my dad told me were reported lost at sea when they would be tossed overboard. So, queers have always been a small percentage of the population and of the Boy Scouts, and that is why this legal action will open up an avenue for victims to come forward, so we shall see.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I think the vow of celibacy ( a crime against nature!) is with the idea that priests should not have anything split their attention- say between God and family. Russian Orthodox has it right. Roman Catholic does not.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was in Boy Scouts for years. One or two years as a Cub, then three years in Boy Scouts, and then Explorer Scouts for two more years. I had a dozen or more Scoutmasters or advisors, or helpers. I went on more campouts than I could count, where we spent the night camping out in the woods in north Georgia.
I went to summer camp at Camp Bert Adams three or four times, each time was there for a week.

I knew dozens, probably hundreds of Boy Scouts. And I never heard of any of this pedophelia stuff going on.

That was sorta the idea, they kept it quite.
Most the victims, even the ones that did report the abuse at the time chose not to talk about it until they were adults and found that others had been abused the same as they had.

The data base the LA Times originally posted is still online and search-able so you can easily look up what was going on in areas you were familiar with.
At the following link the files still have all the original report attached to them.

This data­base con­tains in­form...ca on sus­pi­cion of sexu­al ab­use.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The BSA admits to over 5000 cases. That means almost an undoubted 10X that unreported or covered up or quietly handled some sort of way. I was a scout in the 60s. My father was scout master and several other WW2 veterans who were fathers of scouts took us on outings. One was a Marine veteran of the Pacific and he abused us with forced marches called hikes and sub zero campouts, but the worst immorality we had was dirty jokes around the fire. There's always perverts though, trying any avenue they can find, such as youth pastors, dance teachers, karate coaches,scouts, priesthood, you name it. Ask any long time law officer, it is amazing how much child abuse there is.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone but me see the politics in destroying the Boy Scouts?

The Boy Scouts is largely a gender specific club that teaches largely conservative or traditional family values. What better way to destroy it than to create a story of large widespread pedophilia?

Same with Catholic Church, who is a big threat to abortion on demand.

Not saying both organizations have had real issues with perverts. But both are GREATLY overblown for the sole purpose of destroying organizations that are a direct threat to promoting liberalism.

It’s Communism 101.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But, most all of our Scoutmasters were real men. Mostly WW2 veterans, we had a Marine Colonel for a scoutmaster for a while, these guys were real men, usually had a wife and children, and usually had a son in the Scouts.

Yes, mostly WW II veterans. One of our assistant scoutmasters had been on a Luftwaffe bomber crew. Shot down and captured by the Russians, wasn't released until the 1950s, and he was one of the lucky few to get out of Russia alive. Hated Russians, said they were animals.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds just like the Catholic Church. Wonder if any priests are Scoutmasters ? Are if any of the higher ups in the BSA Organization are Catholic? 😜

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/06/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As for the Catholics, the rules are that a priest cannot bang women. I never read the part of the Bible where Jesus said, "If thou bangest a woman, that means that You Hate God."

I don't know how the Catholics came up with this idea but, no sex with women for a priest?
Just FYI

Matthew 19:10-12

The disciples said to Him, "If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry." But He said to them, "Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. "For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

Revelation 14:4

These are the ones who have not been defiled with women, for they have kept themselves chaste These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes These have been purchased from among men as first fruits to God and to the Lamb.

And finally, 1 Corinthians 7 has a lot to say on the subject.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by RAS

The Boy Scouts is largely a gender specific club that teaches largely conservative or traditional family values. What better way to destroy it than to create a story of large widespread pedophilia?

Not saying both organizations have had real issues with perverts. But both are GREATLY overblown for the sole purpose of destroying organizations that are a direct threat to promoting liberalism.

It’s Communism 101.

Good point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeHunter
Originally Posted by RAS

It’s Communism 101.

Good point.

Agree

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS

The Boy Scouts is largely a gender specific club that teaches largely conservative or traditional family values. . .

The Boy Scouts has already destroyed itself from within by authorizing open homosexuality (both leaders and scouts) and integrating and forcing girls into the ranks of the "Boy" Scouts. This is not "gender specific" nor "conservative or traditional family values." IMO

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by RAS

It’s Communism 101.

The Boy Scouts has already destroyed itself from within by authorizing open homosexuality (both leaders and scouts) and intergrating girls into the "Boy" Scouts.

PREZACTLY!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A child is 100x more likely to be molested by a teacher than a priest.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
A child is 100x more likely to be molested by a teacher than a priest.

I haven’t seen any data to support that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 49 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.