Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Guys I have a 22-250 with a 1/14 twist and want it to be 1/12 twist which barrel maker would flute a #2 contour with this application??

GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I doubt if any knowledable maker or gunsmith would flute a two-contour. The two-contour is generally considered too light to flute.

Reminds me of a Weatherby barrel that I saw get "unwrapped" at the rifle range once. Not a pretty sight.

If you want flutes, think of a 3 1/2 or four-contour.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
+1 Give Chris at Pac-nor a call. He'll give you the straight poop.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ok guys thanks the reason I asked is because a friend said it could be done by a custom barrel maker, but I did fine out that Bansner flute his #2 contour brls on his customs..

S
S
Regarding barrels, just wondering which brand would be most used by shooters after accuracy over there.Im from australia and we find shilen or maddco two of the better ones.but there are others available.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kreiger, Broughton, Rock, Hart, Shilen, Bartlein (recent addition) are all generaly considered accuracy barrels here in the states.

Opinions vary on all but a guy couldn't really go wrong with any of them for what most people's abilities really are with a rifle.

Me

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If I wanted a new barrel in Australia, I would go to Dennis and Robert Tobler in Robertson, NSW. Tobler is as good as anyone and has considerable bench rest experience to back it up.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
If I wanted a new barrel in Australia, I would go to Dennis and Robert Tobler in Robertson, NSW. Tobler is as good as anyone and has considerable bench rest experience to back it up.

AGW

We're not in Australia! smirk

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280don

Mebbe so but this gentleman is:

Regarding barrels, just wondering which brand would be most used by shooters after accuracy over there.Im from australia and we find shilen or maddco two of the better ones.but there are others available.

Me

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would add Lilja to the list of very fine barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lilja will flute as low as a #4 barrel.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
be still my "Hart"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I did not mean to slight Lilja - simple oversite. I know they make some excellent barrels.

Me

S
S
Thanks .Main reason i asked was to compare what is available over there compared to what we can get here.Kreiger,Hart, Shilen and lilja are all available.Tobler barrels are not quite as popular as they once were in the bench rest or F class seen,just thought out of the above 4 there may be a favourite .I realise there is not much between them. Given the same cicumstances with a cartrige that is considered hard on barrels have you found one particular brand holds up better than the others.Maddco make excellent barrels over here but they are known to be reasonably soft.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Bench rest shooters tend to follow what wins so it is a fashionable sport as well as a practical one. You will also notice that if a shooter wins the coveted titles with a certian barrel brand, chambering and bullet brand, guess what....everyone is using them next year.

You can bet that Robert Tobler has not forgotten how to make a bench grade barre;, neither have the others. They are all good and sometimes availability of reamer, button in your favored twist, or experience with a particualr caliber can be an issue.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
S
i once had a gun smith tell me the defect we could both see in my barrel would not affect accuracy he then refused to let me look through his bore scope. Barrel was not screwed or chambered. He told me in his words, 'i have sold plenty of barrels with marks in them' i then told him i would like my money back and went and bought a shilen select match and lived happily ever after.

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Puddle
Lilja will flute as low as a #4 barrel.

Correct I called Lilja on yesterday and that's 2what they said Krieger said #4 as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You might get someone other than a barrel maker to flute something skinnier- but the flutes won't be very deep!!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by 280don

Mebbe so but this gentleman is:

Teal,

It is my understanding from his previous posts that he came here to live and work. My remark that we are not in Australia simply was an indication that I don't think the original poster is going to send to Australia for a barrel or have it fluted there?

So what they use over there is immaterial to the original question! Any of the Aussie dialog is little more than a thread hijack!

Popapi asked the original question, not skippy! And it didn't have a damn thing to do with Ozzyland!

S
S
Sorry mate.Will aproach the site differently next time i have a question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.