-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The picture makes several of those things look like you say. Grabbing the ear is special, too. Over the years I have posted quite a few bear pictures. They are still there. Blacks, browns and interior bears. That is not a picture I would want any part of.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
HR IC

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The picture makes several of those things look like you say. Grabbing the ear is special, too. Over the years I have posted quite a few bear pictures. They are still there. Blacks, browns and interior bears. That is not a picture I would want any part of.

Trust me dbag if we’re in the same picture frame someone is snapping clips your ass getting beat. Hint.

And I don’t hunt with crooks. Rehint

Last edited by fredIII; 04/05/19.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by fredIII
ya

This.

[Linked Image]

Stiller, Manners, Brux, Nightforce, 300 grain Berger’s and a bear to shoot.

💋beavers is fun.

There is just so much wrong with that image it is impossible to know where to sokak

The biggest thing wrong is that YOU are not in the pic....... huh ?

You ASSUME the rifles to be loaded.......huh ?

You ASSUME the rifles are pointed AT the subjects (people)......huh ?
2 D pix don't reveal 'depth'.

I DOUBT that any of those things are true.

Jerry

Everything was empty and nothing was pointed at anyone.
I assure you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The point is it looks like it is...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Trust me dbag if we’re in the same picture frame someone is snapping clips your ass getting beat. Hint.

And out comes the internet tough guy... impressive. Not.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

And out comes the internet tough guy... impressive. Not.

Trust me isn’t a internet thing. You useless KÛNT

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The point is it looks like it is...

All your pictures look like you suck cock! Do you or does it just APPEAR as such. LOL. Good time to deflect if possible.
Rehint I don’t hunt with Thieves

Last edited by fredIII; 04/05/19.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
After a very, very close black bear encounter (shoot in defense of life and limb) up in the NW corner of Saskatchewan while moose hunting, I thought a Browning BAR Lightweight stalker in 338 win mag would make a great bear defense gun, no bolt to work. The amount of ground covered by the bear after the first shot into the ground in front of her to try and avert her charge (we unknowingly walked into her cubs) was amazing! I hardly had time to work the bolt in time for the second shot at about 7 feet! Thankfully, she was no match for the 250 grain Barnes TSX out of my 338 win mag at point blank range. I would have really liked to have avoided that whole situation, but we were on the heels of a big bull and moving fast, and we just didn't see her or her cubs. We walked right into the cubs as we came over the top of a hill. The second year cubs let out their alarm bark and were up a tree almost as fast as you could move your head to follow them. A quick look around and we saw momma coming at us like a shadow moving along the ground. Anyone that thinks they can out run, or out climb, a bear has never been in this situation, their speed is just incredible! It worked out in our favor this time, but who knows what the ending would be if it ever happens again! After settling ourselves down, and cleaning out our pants, we continued after the bull moose and ended up seeing him at about a thousand yards as he came up out of the lake he just swam across. He was in fact a nice big bull, but no luck this time, we had already used up our luck for the day. We went back to the bear and my guide skinned it out and we hung it up in a tree (dark by this time) and came back the next day to haul her out. The guide, and his family, processed every ounce of the bear. And yes, I had, and used, my bear tag on it. She just wasn't the bear I had hoped to use it on. Anyway, I still think a BAR in 338 win mag would be an asset.

Couple of questions, #1 why did you have to shoot the bear?? Those situations are usually handled by the guide. Please dont tell me he was unarmed....#2 how could you tag a sow with cubs? Its OK to kill a sow in a DLP situation, but they dont make you tag it, nor are you usually allowed to keep the hide. There are exceptions to this, but they are rare and almost always involve a boar, not a sow with cubs....

Im not arm chair quarterbacking here....obviously the bear had to be killed. I've been in that same situation more than once myself. Just a few years ago I had to kill a sow grizzly and her cub. My only point is that sows with cubs are protected so why would you tag it?? I also dont understand what the guide was doing......maybe he didnt have time??? Maybe he was unarmed?? Cant imagine that but I know a few guides who dont pack rifles so its possible...

Last edited by yukon254; 04/05/19.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
BTW Dean, a friend of mine in BC has been carrying a BAR in 338 for many years. He has taken a lot of bears with it over the years. Not my choice, but its a decent choice just the same.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

A pards bear from a couple years ago, came up behind him. Sako A7 300 win 180 Hornadys.... he was a little wound up when he called me, look close you can probably see powder burns on it’s face!! 🤣🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Judman
[Linked Image]

A pards bear from a couple years ago, came up behind him. Sako A7 300 win 180 Hornadys.... he was a little wound up when he called me, look close you can probably see powder burns on it’s face!! 🤣🤣

THAT picture says a thousand words! I had a two-year old black bear sneak up on me once. He also tried to get me from the rear. Luckily I heard him in time and had a 12-gauge with buck handy. Even that buckshot didnt do that kind of damage.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
yukon254, guide had a rifle, just the way the bear came at us put the guide behind me. But I honestly don't know if he had a shot or not, I was focused on something else! It literally happened faster than I can type this. I shot it, I just automatically tagged it. I've hunted up there more times after this happened, and hope to get up there again. Lots of moose, bear and wolves up there, and the fires in Alberta, from a couple years ago, have even pushed some deer into the area.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For me it would be one of my 35 Whelens, 45-70, or my just acquired 400 Whelen. I'll be getting a 338 Win. Mag. from my Uncle, it will be a good one too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 35400Whelen
For me it would be one of my 35 Whelens, 45-70, or my just acquired 400 Whelen. I'll be getting a 338 Win. Mag. from my Uncle, it will be a good one too.

The 400 Whelen is an interesting round. How are you making brass for it?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 35400Whelen

The 400 Whelen is an interesting round. How are you making brass for it?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/834001/quality-cartridge-brass

I think Hornady has basic brass as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did not realize it was now that easy. I was talking with Michael Petrov during and after his work to make brass without fireforming. He had to get brass at the first drawing and size it from there. It complicated things...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 400 has been on my brain a few times. Seems like a neat old cartridge. Might be pretty easy for JES to turn one up without too much drama. As long as brass is there I can’t see it being too bad.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
The 400 has been on my brain a few times. Seems like a neat old cartridge. Might be pretty easy for JES to turn one up without too much drama. As long as brass is there I can’t see it being too bad.

I’ve pondered it as well, or the 375 whelen/skovill...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not much shoulder to play with! I got to handle Michael's 400 and the brass at the various stages. It is an interesting thing for sure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Judman

I’ve pondered it as well, or the 375 whelen/skovill...

This ^^^^^ I believe the 375 is about as far as is reasonable for consistence head space, and that's pushing it.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,930
Posts18,498,641
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.