Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by mathman
I would just go back to the press and try to seat the primers all the way. You don't have to pull them for that. Use appropriate caution of course.

If the rounds with raised primers do chamber, that indicates you're bumping shoulders back too far on your brass and creating excess headspace. Measuring shoulder bump and adjusting the sizing die appropriately will let your brass live longer, and will prevent showing false pressure signs.

He's using virgin brass at this point.

OK, but that doesn't necessarily mean unsized. Plenty of handloaders, myself included, size every case before loading even with new brass. But you're right, the factory new brass is likely to have the shoulders bumped back a bit more than necessary, so it may not be the OP's die setup at fault.

Either way, it's still an indication that headspace is likely excessive, unless the OP has very sensitive fingers and is noticing just a few thousandths protrusion.

I wonder if Yondering is ........Yo I'm pondering !!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunReader
I would just go back to the press and try to seat the primers all the way. You don't have to pull them for that. Use appropriate caution of course.

If the rounds with raised primers do chamber, that indicates you're bumping shoulders back too far on your brass and creating excess headspace. Measuring shoulder bump and adjusting the sizing die appropriately will let your brass live longer, and will prevent showing false pressure signs.

Wait a minute! Do you want to rethink that? These are loaded rounds!

Do NOT try to reseat primers on loaded rounds!

The best way to do that is put a #9 bird shot in the primer seater for additional fun...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Thank you for some comman sense.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Having the round loaded or not doesn't make the primer any more or less likely to go off. Some of you guys really are a bunch of old ninnys.

I did say "use appropriate caution". That doesn't mean to be terrified and never do it. If you're the kind of person who can't trust themselves not to hammer on a primer at the press maybe you shouldn't do that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When a piece of newly primed brass comes out of the priming tool, the first thing that happens is my index finger slides over the head of the brass and new primer. If it is not seated correctly I catch it immediately, not after I’ve primed a tray full of brass. Don’t remember who I learned that from, but I’ve been doing it so long that it’s automatic. Don’t even have to think about doing it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't believe I would try to seat a primer on a loaded round deeper. If it is a bolt action just load and shoot them and use a primer pocket uni-former on the next reload cycle and they should seat ok.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If the primer pocket is defective (too short), I don't know that trying to use a press would work if you tried it.

However, this talk of re-seating a primer on a loaded round reminds me of some interesting history. In Hatcher's Notebook, Gen. Hatcher set off some loose rounds, I believe .45 ACP and perhaps .30-06, under a cardboard box. I believe he was trying to put to bed the "Hollywood myth" of throwing loaded rounds into a campfire and killing or wounding everyone in proximity, (Funny, that image reminds me of more than a few threads here on our "campfire"!)

If I recall correctly, he used a battery to heat up and "cook off" the primer. Also if I recall correctly, none of the bullets penetrated the box because so little pressure was generated in the case before the bullet left the case. I also recall some brass fragments being a result, but none with much energy. I wonder what a round held only by a shell holder, i.e. not in a die, would do if one managed to function the primer of a loaded round when attempting to re-seat it?

I'm certainly not advocating the practice, but it might not prove quite as devastating as we imagine. I'd darn sure be wearing "eyes and ears."

I'd have more definitive information, but my Hatcher's is in remote storage.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
What I do with virgin brass is I neck size only on the first firing and I prep the brass before loading it. I uniform the primer pocket, deburr the flash hole, chamfer and deburr the case mouths. After the first firing of the brass I bump the shoulders .001 back each time I load them.

Good Shooting,

George
B
BEN243 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I shot the loads with the slightly raised primers this morning. I shot a 5 shot group that measured an honest 1/2" in my original 1962 Rem700 BDL with it's original 20" barrel and wood stock. Although that rifle has always been pretty accurate, that's the best group that I've shot with that rifle in a many years. So I guess that answers my question whether shooting those loads were safe and worthwhile to shoot. Thanks to all of you that replied to my original question. Ben

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.