Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Excellent - excuses and personal attacks! Come on, explain how great a shot you are and how horrible I must be.

Keep 'em coming!

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Excellent - excuses and personal attacks! Come on, explain how great a shot you are and how horrible I must be.

Keep 'em coming!

How far does a running elk move at 150 yards between the time you pull the trigger and the bullet gets there?

Is there 100% certainty of that shot?

Is it an “ethical” shot, simply because it’s inside of some arbitrary range?

I know guys who shoot hundreds and thousands of rounds a year at targets between 400 and 800 yards. I know NO ONE who practices shots at moving targets (with a scopes rifle). Yet, somehow, a shot over a couple hundred yards is “unethical”..... even though it’s been practiced extensively.... and a shot at a moving critter is perfectly acceptable... even though it’s unpracticed.

Llama... your hardline stance shows only a lack of true understanding of the subject matter at hand. Shoot more, listen better, and pontificate less.... maybe you’ll learn something.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Oh of course, it's not the unethical excuse makers who need to learn. It's me, for exposing the excuses. Got it.

Keep that nonsense coming - you're only exposing yourselves laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do you really believe that no 600 yard shot is ethical unless the animal is asleep?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you can demonstrate 100% first round vitals hits at that range, in unknown wind field conditions, on a target that moves at animal speeds whenever it feels like, then go for it.

If not, just admit you're OK with gut shooting animals from time to time and move on.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 04/08/19.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you can demonstrate 100% first round vitals hits at that range, in unknown wind field conditions, on a target that moves at animal speeds whenever it feels like, then go for it.

If not, just admit you're OK with gut shooting animals from time to time and move on.

Have you ever taken a shot and missed?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Oh of course, it's not the unethical excuse makers who need to learn. It's me, for exposing the excuses. Got it.

Of course.... you can’t answer a logical question.

Shoot at enough critters.... near or far.... and schitt happens. There’s never a 100% certainty.... ever. If you think there is... take up golf.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Of course.... you can’t answer a logical question.

Shoot at enough critters.... near or far.... and schitt happens. There’s never a 100% certainty.... ever. If you think there is... take up golf.

If you ever read "Traditional Bowhunter," you'll see that TJ Conrads (an acknowledged authority on traditional bowhunting and the publisher IIRC) pegs that number at 80%. Of course 80% is ethical if you get close.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

Have you ever taken a shot and missed?

On targets/steel, sure. On big game animals, nope. I don't take shots I'm not 100% sure I can hit the vitals.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Definitely a Leupold user....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There’s two kinds of hunters..... those who’ve missed/lost game.... and liars.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was hoping just for some good excuses here, but Dogshooter went above and beyond and provided a top notch rationalization too - "Everyone's done it, and if you say otherwise you're a liar!"

Rationalizations AND excuses. You guys are delivering and creating a top notch thread here. Keep 'em coming!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That was my first thought but I think with old righteous bob it's more like an old-timer, one of the best hunters I ever met, told me.

"Any hunter who's never missed a shot either ain't hunted much, or ain't trying hard enough."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

You can't honestly demonstrate 100% first round vitals at 100 yds,

No one can.

It's our goal, but not guaranteed, by anyone at any range.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

bob, since you're one of those rare individuals who've never missed a shot I'll go in a different direction. There are a couple of flaws in your logic here, one already pointed out by Jordan. And that is, there are plenty of times when animals aren't moving and 0.6-0.7 tof is not an issue. Or to put it another way if it's an issue at 600 it'll be an issue at 150 and all it takes is experience to recognize the situation and hold off at either distance.

Second, you directed your "conditions" to me but your statement was absolute. Right now I propbably wouldn't take a 600 yard shot on a big game animal because I haven't been shooting enough lately. But I'm not arrogant or vain enough to think there's no one else out there who could make that shot with confidence. I've shot with a few of 'em.

You should probably get out and shoot with some good long-range shooters before you conclude that there's no one out there who could make a 600 yard shot.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

That was my first thought but I think with old righteous bob it's more like an old-timer, one of the best hunters I ever met, told me.

"Any hunter who's never missed a shot either ain't hunted much, or ain't trying hard enough."

Originally Posted by Kenneth

You can't honestly demonstrate 100% first round vitals at 100 yds,

No one can.

It's our goal, but not guaranteed, by anyone at any range.

As I posted above he is an idiot, reading his BS makes it obvious

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I just tickled three rocks from 1100 to 1109 yards the last half hour before sunset with 27 minutes and 3 minutes left wind with my 7 Mashburn and 160gr accubonds at 3200, what a little sweetheart! smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was hoping just for some good excuses here, but Dogshooter went above and beyond and provided a top notch rationalization too - "Everyone's done it, and if you say otherwise you're a liar!"

Rationalizations AND excuses. You guys are delivering and creating a top notch thread here. Keep 'em coming!

Yet..... you can’t even answer a simple question..... I’m shocked.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Never argue with a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Not sure why that saying popped in my head reading this thread...

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Lmao.....

Posers on the internet never aren't hilarious.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.