Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm delighted. If only obviously.

Im sure you rubbed one out as soon as you heard.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
This whole argument never ceases to amuse! same with the sunday hunting arguments. the thought of lobbying to not hunt more is astounding to me.

There's already a gazillion days to hunt deer in Pa. Plus you could hunt small game and turkeys on that Saturday. Now you can't. Adding one more Saturday for deer ain't gonna do jack chit to increase hunter numbers.

All it does for me is cut family time over the Thanksgiving holiday, I'll have to travel on Friday instead of Saturday or Sunday to get from my daughters house in Berks county to my hunting grounds in Clearfield county. Sucks a big one.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Sunday hunting without approval from the legislature. Just how it is here. If they'd give that over to the game commission, then maybe a Saturday deer opener makes a bit more sense? I don't give a damn about Sunday hunting for deer anyway, but that's just my view, lots do want it.

The Monday opener was more to my liking for several reasons.

Sundays for pretty much everything else is fine with me, especially woodchucks and turkeys.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old traditions die hard and painfully. We always enjoyed the Friday ride to camp and taking our time getting ready for Monday. Saturday was a good day to go try for a turkey or some squirrels and grouse. 'Guess that's done. 'Can't believe they didn't get Sundays included in this. Kinda makes that first Saturday look like the ugly stepchild. Like I said, hard to see the old traditions die off, along with the old hunters.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA
I don't give a damn about Sunday hunting for deer anyway, but that's just my view, lots do want it.

Now wait a second....YOUR name was signed on the HUSH lawsuit! You dont give a damn about Sunday hunting? Pfft!!! Tell me thats not your name and signature Denny!

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please explain that better with actual dates as an example. did they shorten your season by a week by opening it the saturday before? I will be honest, I never understood how hunting was done on the east coast, even when I lived there. it was so screwed up as a whole I didn't even hunt. To me is seems like a soup sandwich that ya'll are trying to organize and rationalize. Where I live our season(s) run about the same every year. a few are the whole month of november (or october) regardless of when the 1st starts, and the regular rifle for west river runs so the last of the 3 weekends it's open is thanksgiving weekend. Now I get that people bank on these dates and expect them, but to whine about it opening the saturday before, or complaining that it's not closed on sundays seems absolutely retarded to me. I don't know the whole story, nor do I care except for what I see here when I scroll and it intrigues me enough to click. but as an outsider, it looks to me like the overall season hasn't changed aside from the saturday before the "normal" opener is the new one, so in effect you gained A day of hunting, on a weekend... and many are pissed about it. forget the whole "sunday hunting" which you still fight for keeping. I wonder what kind of stupid they put in the water there. You do realize the deer have no idea what day it is right? now if someone can explain it in a rational matter, I'm all ears, but this really seems like you all have been eating [bleep] for so long, that now when they offer you piss, you complain that it isn't more [bleep]. I honestly feel very sorry for you all to not know what it's like to live free, at least to the degree we are allowed out here. You have my prayers

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Please explain that better with actual dates as an example. did they shorten your season by a week by opening it the saturday before? I will be honest, I never understood how hunting was done on the east coast, even when I lived there. it was so screwed up as a whole I didn't even hunt. To me is seems like a soup sandwich that ya'll are trying to organize and rationalize. Where I live our season(s) run about the same every year. a few are the whole month of november (or october) regardless of when the 1st starts, and the regular rifle for west river runs so the last of the 3 weekends it's open is thanksgiving weekend. Now I get that people bank on these dates and expect them, but to whine about it opening the saturday before, or complaining that it's not closed on sundays seems absolutely retarded to me. I don't know the whole story, nor do I care except for what I see here when I scroll and it intrigues me enough to click. but as an outsider, it looks to me like the overall season hasn't changed aside from the saturday before the "normal" opener is the new one, so in effect you gained A day of hunting, on a weekend... and many are pissed about it. forget the whole "sunday hunting" which you still fight for keeping. I wonder what kind of stupid they put in the water there. You do realize the deer have no idea what day it is right? now if someone can explain it in a rational matter, I'm all ears, but this really seems like you all have been eating [bleep] for so long, that now when they offer you piss, you complain that it isn't more [bleep]. I honestly feel very sorry for you all to not know what it's like to live free, at least to the degree we are allowed out here. You have my prayers

You’ve obviously never been in the PA deer woods at dawn on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

For decades we got camp open on the Friday after Thanksgiving, visited a bit with camp neighbors, went small game or turkey hunting on that Saturday and got prepped for the Monday opener. Out the window now.

The "got to have it now" generation has no time for foreplay. This decision devastates a lifetime of tradition. This is only one season of many.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nothing says you HAVE to hunt that opening Saturday. Guys I've talked to plan to continue their driving/kibitzing/drinking on Saturday and Sunday and heading into the woods on Monday. Big deal. It just adds a little more flexibility to some people's seasons, that's all.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nothing says you HAVE to hunt that opening Saturday. Guys I've talked to plan to continue their driving/kibitzing/drinking on Saturday and Sunday and heading into the woods on Monday. Big deal. It just adds a little more flexibility to some people's seasons, that's all.

PA gets dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Hell, we just recently were granted the privelage to buy a six pack between noon and 5 on Sundays ...

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's the no Sunday hunting that makes this a dumb move,I'll likely skip driving 5 hours each way to hunt Saturday and not be able to hunt Sunday
NY did this a few years back but it wasn't as big a deal since you could hunt Sunday
IF PA was really interested in getting more people/youths involved they would allow Sunday hunting

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Exactly.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

You’ve obviously never been in the PA deer woods at dawn on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Nope, I sure haven't, nor would I want to from how it sounds.

It must be more magical than opening day in other places..... you know, with it being monday and all....

Like I said earlier, the deer don't know what day of the week it is.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Exactly.

When someone says they get less time with family because they have to leave for camp on Friday, I say BS. Do it as you always had.

Some seriously stuck individuals here. I bet the switch from paper to plastic gave a few wives black eyes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Paper or plastic? Now there's an issue worth pulling out the pistol over. grin grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe it's an apple and oranges kinda thing, comparing deer hunting traditions from one state to another? PA manages to sell roughly 900,000 licenses per year, despite a national trend of declining sales and the number of hunters, but that's down from what it was a few decades ago.

PA measures a tad over 46,000 square miles and still has lots of rural land, not to mention millions of acres of forested, mountainous land, primarily in the northern parts of the state. Within that acreage is over 2.5 million acres of public access land to hunt on, plus lots more private land open to public access with permission. We probably have roughly 700,000 people that hunt deer. Estimates put the majority of those out on opening day of firearms deer season.

Deer numbers are not spread evenly across the state, but there are areas with huge deer numbers, most areas have adequate numbers and still some areas that hold few deer. People argue endlessly about how many deer we have, but we seem to always rank high in deer/vehicle accident rates, so I'd say we have plenty of deer? Annual deer kill numbers from the various seasons, have stayed in the 300,000+ range for years.

Hunting camps were the thing here, going back to the 1920s, because the deer were primarily in the northern areas. Hundreds of thousands of hunters went to those camps to hunt each year. Not the big deal it once was, partly because deer are now more common in other parts of PA, but that camp thing is still an important part of our deer hunting traditions. May not be the same in other states, can't say?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
J
I couldn't agree more pa game commission just sees $$$$$

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by pahick
Intended to get more college students out to hunt, since the poor dears will be home that Saturday, but can't be around the following Monday. Maybe help a few more adults that can't get Monday off and kids whose schools no longer close on the first Monday. They are desperate to stem the loss of hunters and think this will help? Despite the fact that more than one poll indicated a clear majority of deer hunters didn't want the change.

Our current board of commissioners have decided old goats that still drive hours to hunting camps are dinosaurs of the past and no longer matter.

Even though we probably still make up a third or more of current deer hunters. One stat I read during the controversy leading up to this decision, is that only about 25 to 30 percent of deer hunters still travel to a hunting camp for rifle deer So this will benefit those who hunt close to home and the afore mentioned groups.

For decades we got camp open on the Friday after Thanksgiving, visited a bit with camp neighbors, went small game or turkey hunting on that Saturday and got prepped for the Monday opener. Out the window now.

Denny, im sure as President of PFSC you sat in many meetings. Your opinion, honest question, no BS.....did we, the average hunter ever have a say? Our emails mean nothing?

The average hunter is a whiny bitch and this thread proves it. LMAO. Some of you guys would squawk about getting hung with a new rope.

Camp is where you make it.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by pahick
During the "debates" on Sunday Hunting what was one of the biggest arguments? "I dont have vacation and work Saturdays" So the GC gives them Saturdays....the more I think about this schit the more pissed I get. If they wanted another Saturday give us a 3rd week. Reduce the doe allocation to reflect the extra week and BOOM everyones happy again. Again, this has not a damn thing to do with time, and everything with setting up Sundays.

Said it a million times, quit phuggin around with Sundays and put it on the ballot!! Along with disbanding the GC and combining agencies. Its time!

I assume you mean turning everything over to the polititions would be preferable?
In my 72 seasons of hunting in PA ive witnessed quite a few changes, and not all I agreed with including this one.
But this just might be one whose time has come. That said I don't think it will change much, especially in license sales numbers.
I don't think Sunday hunting will either other than for maybe a year, but it will no doubt shift the days some choose to hunt.
So we could look for the big exodus on Sunday afternoon instead of Tuesday afternoon?
That might not be all bad.
Bars at least initially will probably see more business with a weekend opener, especially those that offer freebees.
I mean where else is there to go to complain about seein no deer? lol

ARs and brown goes down weekends cant be very far off.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Holy schit...why would you want to with this many screaming children in the woods?

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.