Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 87 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 86 87
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cascade
Another 65 mile bicycle ride yesterday. Not bad for a 62 year old with a 30 year old riding buddy. I'll take it. Been kinda remiss on getting to the gym lately though. Cycling somehow seems more important & more fun right now.

Keep on truckin' all! We're just competing against ourselves, until hunting season hits. Then it's The Ridge I'm working against.

Have to admit, I surely do feel good when I'm in decent condition.

Guy

Yep! Got two premium backpack hunts I've got a shot at this year. I have enough points, probably, for a Hells Canyon bull elk tag. Maybe get flown in to Lord Flats then go from there? Then a lesser but still real chance at another Steens deer tag.

65 miles is a respectable ride at any age! Any issues in your knees when you bag big miles? Any IT band issues towards the end of rides?

I did a 1-1/2 hour mountain bike ride today. It was hard. The steepest sections were full granny-gear but they were so long I couldn't stay sitting. Standing up is key for hard climbing for me on my road bike. When I'd stand up climbing these steep old dirt roads I'd lose traction on the rear wheel (from unweighting it) and it'd spin out on me. I'd kinda forgotten about that.

I also need to decide if I want to stay with flat pedals or go with one of the MTB shoe/clips setups. I'd rather stay flat pedals but I think being clipped in would help on the steep climbs by smoothing out the power at the wheel? Either that or I'll spin out and fall over from being clipped in... only half joking... smile

Also got a creak in the bottom bracket or maybe a pedal that I need to chase down. But in general the bike is great so far. Those huge 29" tires and front air shock and relaxed "rake" make it really stable and predictable going downhill. I didn't have the guts to do a 2-wheel drift yet but I was tempted.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been on clipless pedals for 20 years, I have trouble riding now without them, lol. The continuous power cycle you have with them, along with the added control you have over the bike with them is incredible. Check out your seatpost for the creak, it may sound like it's coming from somewhere else, but often it seems to be the seatpost. Put a light coat of grease on the part of the seatpost inserted in the frame and make sure it's tight. I've fixed more than one bottom bracket creek that way.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by battue
The one good thing about Fla is you can drive up 95 N in a rented mini van and do 90-95mph. At which speed, finally you will not be a slow moving hazard. I had to ask a policeman, just how fast can I go there without getting a ticket? He said 89 will be fairly safe to avoid being pulled over. He also said, they really don't like to pull people over, in that every one slows down and a traffic jam builds up quickly.

Yeah they don't bother with that schit much.

But it's far from the ONE good thing.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Another 65 mile bicycle ride yesterday. Not bad for a 62 year old with a 30 year old riding buddy. I'll take it. Been kinda remiss on getting to the gym lately though. Cycling somehow seems more important & more fun right now.

Keep on truckin' all! We're just competing against ourselves, until hunting season hits. Then it's The Ridge I'm working against.

Guy

65 miles is a respectable ride at any age! Any issues in your knees when you bag big miles? Any IT band issues towards the end of rides?

Knees are okay. Better 30 years ago, but okay. Dunno what an "IT band" is, so I guess it's okay too. smile

I stayed with flat pedals on my mountain bike, but ya, clips would help smooth out the climbing. I spin out too sometimes, climbing with the mountain bike. Haven't ridden it yet this year. Going out on the road bike in a couple of hours, but not 65 miles. Maybe 40 - 50 miles. Something like that, and fewer hills.

Guy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The one good thing about Fla is you can drive up 95 N in a rented mini van and do 90-95mph. At which speed, finally you will not be a slow moving hazard. I had to ask a policeman, just how fast can I go there without getting a ticket? He said 89 will be fairly safe to avoid being pulled over. He also said, they really don't like to pull people over, in that every one slows down and a traffic jam builds up quickly.

You better slow down when you hit the FL-GA border. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Perhaps, but in Fla you need a gold chain necklace to keep up. And a good pair of shuffleboard sneakers. White naturally....

They issue those as soon as you register to vote in Broward or Miami-Dade.

But that doesn't make you full d-bag.

Your male friend videoing you in the gym for your instagram post makes you full d-bag.

LMAO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah they don't bother with that schit much.

But it's far from the ONE good thing.

They make enough of them in Pa. Truth being, more than I can handle.

laissez les bons temps rouler
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps, but in Fla you need a gold chain necklace to keep up. And a good pair of shuffleboard sneakers. White naturally....

They issue those as soon as you register to vote in Broward or Miami-Dade.

But that doesn't make you full d-bag.

Your male friend videoing you in the gym for your instagram post makes you full d-bag.

I'm torn - which is the bigger d-bag, the bro Instagram or the selfie Instagram?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Guy

Knees are okay. Better 30 years ago, but okay. Dunno what an "IT band" is, so I guess it's okay too. smile

I stayed with flat pedals on my mountain bike, but ya, clips would help smooth out the climbing. I spin out too sometimes, climbing with the mountain bike. Haven't ridden it yet this year. Going out on the road bike in a couple of hours, but not 65 miles. Maybe 40 - 50 miles. Something like that, and fewer hills.

Guy

Yeah, I did not "need" to know about IT band stuff... haha... until I did. It's a band of hard tissue on the outside of the knee/quad, basically a spread-out tendon coming from the outer quad. If it goes out on ya during a ride it's excruciating to open and close the knee, regardless of whether you are putting power through or not. It's cured, pretty much, by aggressive rolling on a hard foam roller, which is also excruciating. If I feel it coming in on a ride, usually at 30+ miles, I can usually fix it with the heel of my hand and/or the top tube of the frame of my bike, just really grind it into that area. Until I figured it out I had several rides I had to finish basically on one leg. It just shuts down the affected leg.

Upper body is a bit stiff today too from the MTB ride... me likey! I noticed my arms were a bit trashed when I went out to the Cave last night to crack a beer and throw darts. Yep!

I hope you are using a seriously bright red flasher on the back of your road bike. Don't be like that zillionaire woman in California who's in an early grave for the want of a $50 flasher. I had to buy my cheapskate buddy one, he was trying to get by with a cheesy little blinker, but they are worth it, a literal lifesaver. Catch the attention of that dumbass texting as they come up behind you, etc. Maybe not an issue where you are, maybe you have bike lanes... I ride rural roads and I won't even go out without my flasher. I'm blanking on the brand of mine... Serfas Thunderbolt maybe? Something like that... but it's long and thin and bright as God. smile I also use a BRIGHT front light set to strobe in the daytime; that was begun after I was blazing a downhill at 35+ mph and a car almost pulled out of a driveway in front of me.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/10/19.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JOG

I'm torn - which is the bigger d-bag, the bro Instagram or the selfie Instagram?

A solid inquiry but widely subjective.

On one hand you have an individual not only engaging in unprecedented levels of douchebaggery but he's now DRAWING others into his tractor beam of narcissism. Although we can say that this person at least has somebody to hang out with.

Conversely, the other d-bag is not spreading the disease so to speak, but he is so self absorbed he has nobody to share his d-bag'ness with.

A conundrum for sure.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Enough of what? You lost me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
9. mile Merlot trial hike.

Been meaning to ask: What is a Merlot hike?

I enjoy hiking. I enjoy drinking red wines, including merlot.... Is this a combo of drinking wine & hiking?

Guy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Merlot = his dog. smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Merlot = his dog. smile

Ha! Awesome.

I kinda liked the wine-walk idea too though.

Guy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Enough of what? You lost me.

Doubt it but anyway:

The weather sucks in summer, too many people, the traffic can be a pain, I don’t fish and the hunting can be expensive. More than a few nice looking women, was the meaning, but we have enough in Pa when the need strikes.

Not much in Fla that I need other than a winter break from here.

Sporting clays is better than good, but I have that here also.

Last edited by battue; 04/10/19.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh gotcha.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Merlot = his dog. smile

All that has Merlot muscling up. 👍

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh gotcha.

And if there is water, you best accept there may be a Gator in it. Jumbo Rattlers in unlikely places are not all that rare either.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Don't be such a pussy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did a few miles yesterday where Toby and I used to walk, haven't been there in a while. I miss that dawg. I flushed two roosters, if he'd been there in his prime he probably would've broken a dozen and come close to snagging one or two.

Did upper body with the trainer today. Sometimes I think those guys sit around in a room and try to outdo each other with the crazy schit they come up with. Good workout though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 37 of 87 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 86 87

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.