Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I just picked up a new FirstEdge 5150 w/ an ELMAX steel blade. It's supposed to hold a good edge and be easier to sharpen and more corrosion resistant than S30V. Does anyone have working experience with this steel?
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I listen and learn from this Japanese doctor, is into Bark River knives, among others.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Elmax vs S30V is like coke vs pepsi. I prefer S30V but Elmax is good steel.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ELMAX Gunny Hunter - Bark River - Field application

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great steel, but Elmax is definitely not easy to sharpen.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/12/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I listen and learn from this Japanese doctor, is into Bark River knives, among others.

Interesting technique with his stones.....I've always rotated my blades which he said not to do as it straightens out the belly.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never used Elmax, but I have used S30V and CPM 3V. Modern particle metallurgy steels are amazing products, not just in performance but in how the stuff is made. That said, they are a product and the steel industry is in business to sell those products so they are continually developing and marketing new steels, usually in small, incremental jumps. As was said above the comparison between Elmax and S30v is pretty much a moot point in the big scheme of things.

The Spanish invaded a good portion of North and South America with what would be considered primitive steels by today's standards. They sailed back and forth over the salty Atlantic for decades and carved their way through numerous indigenous populations raping, pillaging and cutting up animals for their daily meals without even a tinge of chromium or vanadium in their blades. We should feel so lucky to have the choices steel technology of today offers.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm getting one made out of Nitro V stainless, knife maker told me it was comparable to S30V, anyone have any experience with it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I'm getting one made out of Nitro V stainless, knife maker to me it was comparable to S30V, anyone have any experience with it.

Haven’t heard of it Roger. S30V is pretty hard to beat, IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
stx, make sure it's heat treated to 62-63 hrc.

It'll be good there.

Its stainless properties are equal to S30, but it's better run at a harder rockwell.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have several Elmax blades from Dale Howe and multiple S30V from Ingram and May. I find them very comparable. No issues putting a wicked edge on any of them with mostly just ceramic sticks.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by horse1
I have several Elmax blades from Dale Howe and multiple S30V from Ingram and May. I find them very comparable. No issues putting a wicked edge on any of them with mostly just ceramic sticks.

Yep

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SBTCO
. . . The Spanish invaded a good portion of North and South America . . . and carved their way through numerous indigenous populations raping, pillaging and cutting up animals for their daily meals without even a tinge of chromium or vanadium in their blades. We should feel so lucky to have the choices steel technology of today offers.

Reminds me of the American white man conquering the New World after the landing at Plymouth Rock. . . grin

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Blade steel ratings off of Blade Forums. Left to right is more cost. Vertical is overall steel performance. Roughly translates to you get what you pay for. Not a whole lot available that is significantly better than ELMAX.

Blade Forums Steel Ratings

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found that the better a knife holds the edge with use then harder it is to sharpen. Just my opinion.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by SBTCO
. . . The Spanish invaded a good portion of North and South America . . . and carved their way through numerous indigenous populations raping, pillaging and cutting up animals for their daily meals without even a tinge of chromium or vanadium in their blades. We should feel so lucky to have the choices steel technology of today offers.

Reminds me of the American white man conquering the New World after the landing at Plymouth Rock. . . grin

Yep. wink

Entertaining how we as modern humans can stew and sweat over our hunting tools burning up 95% effort to solve 2% of a problem, deciding whether Cerakote is better than Black T for a stainless barreled action. Or whether 6.5 creedmoor is gonna have better balistics than 257 Roberts for hunting antelope when using 120 gr TTSX or...... Those pilgrims were happy to just have dry powder to load their muskets, let alone the magic of flint and steel to light the evening fire.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mtnsnake, there is a lot of truth in what you just said. People keep looking for edge retention and ease of sharpening in the same knife and both attributes are part of the same function. Edge geometry does play a part in each function but can really make sharpening a problem if the edge geometry is not properly set up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can use a wooden knife to skin and cut animals. You have to keep the wood sharp as you cut and carve. Same with any metal that is easy to sharpen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.