Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gone, your money is.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I will, but I’m going to give it until Monday to positively respond, just in case he’s still legit. I’m still hanging on to some hope. The guyknew his stuff and had pics of both scopes I wanted, on of which is hard to find and discontinued. He was responsive at first and obviously knew his stuff, so it wasn’t an obvious fraud. Maybe the guys email went down or something.

I hope you are right, but I have a feeling that he’s just a very good scammer who did some homework.

NRA Endowment Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
IIRC we got this guy 10 years and his wife 2... on similar stuff.

DOG HIS BUTT!!! It may just work out. Best of luck to you

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8900212

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Burnt by PayPal on eBay back in 2002-2003. Never used it since, and never will. Money order or ck, or I don’t need it!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I bought thru PayPal on here and got stiffed by the seller. I even did friends and family. Explained to them the situation and they refunded my money pretty quickly.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/13/19.
IC B2

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can almost forget reporting it for wire fraud to any federal agency as it doesn't meet their 'threshhold' dollar wise. I've dealt with them and depending on the situtation their threshold can be $25-50K

Sometimes local l.e. agencies will help but you have to have some good info for them to work on. The addresses they use is seldom where they actually live. For example, it could be a vacant house across the street from their brother-in-law.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Got burned pretty good a couple of years ago on a different site,guy had over 150 post he seemed fine etc. I paid with Postal M.O.
Nope,his name is Clyde Nelson Voorhies and he's scammed tons of people through the years,he lives around Iowa city,Iowa somewhere.
Anyway what I do now is ask for a picture with a certain item included,it can be anything like a can of corn or a right hand glove,I know it sounds weird but it works.
If buying a knife,I might ask them to put an ink pen beside it and send me a picture,of course I don't do this with everyone, but people with low post counts or something that seems a little to good to be true etc I don't have any issue asking for this kind of picture.
Always be on the lookout because I'm sure old Clyde and some of his buddies are always looking to take someone's money.

Greg

Last edited by redjones; 04/13/19.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It might be worth a shot to try contacting PayPal. Its completely possible hes using a hacked account. PayPal can check the account activity and if they see something suspicious you may get lucky. Worth a shot. Especially if you explain that you think it's a scam vs an unresponsive seller.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by redjones
Got burned pretty good a couple of years ago on a different site,guy had over 150 post he seemed fine etc. I paid with Postal M.O.
Nope,his name is Clyde Nelson Voorhies and he's scammed tons of people through the years,he lives around Iowa city,Iowa somewhere.
Anyway what I do now is ask for a picture with a certain item included,it can be anything like a can of corn or a right hand glove,I know it sounds weird but it works.
If buying a knife,I might ask them to put an ink pen beside it and send me a picture,of course I don't do this with everyone, but people with low post counts or something that seems a little to good to be true etc I don't have any issue asking for this kind of picture.
Always be on the lookout because I'm sure old Clyde and some of his buddies are always looking to take someone's money.

Greg

He had charges filed against him last year...finally.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had a guy try to burn me on a scope deal on Predatormasters a few years ago,I believe Rockinbar was a moderator over there.Contacted the local police(Flathead County Sheriff) and the paid the guy a visit,had a refund in no time.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got burned on ARMSLIST a few years back. That place is really bad. I've made many purchases since then with no problems. If someone won't talk with me over the phone, that is probably the biggest indicator. I've been looking at ATVs/UTVs for the last few years; looking at Craigslist. Bought an ATV 18 months ago, now looking for a UTV. There are several scammers offering great deals, but they aren't local and wont talk to you you on the phone. Since I'm mostly retired, I tend to engage as long as I can with questions, etc.,to waste their time. Kinda fun. I figure if they are engaged with me, less time they have trying to scam someone else. Also, when I put something up for sale, I offer my phone number in an email or message. Another thing you can do is search the image. Right click on the pic and see what comes up. Often the pic is stolen from another site. But the phone conversation (lack of) seems to be the biggest indicator. My biggest frustration is disappearing buyers. People who've committed to buy, spending a bunch of time answering their question, getting items already to ship, then never receiving payment and never hearing from them again. They don't even have the courage or decency to tell you they changed their mind. I understand things come up, but to just disregard your attempts to get a clear answer is just so chick$hit.

Perry
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was in the process of getting burned over a stock here once. Googled until I figured out where he worked, called his boss and discussed the situation asking for his help so that LE didn't show up at his place of business. Stock arrived 2 days later.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
Originally Posted by warpig602
Sadly, all the red flags were there. I cant get your money back but shoot me a PM and I'll get you one at cost. Might be the most expensive scope you ever bought but at least you wont be completely out

Warpig is as good as they come. I have had several good transactions with him

Every time I post a wtb ass I get several scammers. I waste their time and make them send me pics. I usually try and get their address so I can expose them.

The latest was tag22211 with an email of [email protected]. He disappeared when I asked for a pic with a specified object.

The same guy PM`d me about a 6MM CM I was looking for.I posted a warning on the Campfire forum with a copy of the PM.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve done probably 100+ deals on this site and others over the years. This is my very first problem. I let my guard down and paid the price. It’s on me.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I'm no lawyer. But that theft should constitute wire fraud or something. Seems like there should be a federal agency to report it to. If the Feds would make enough arrests and prosecutions that crap would stop.

Good luck getting any leo or agency interested in pursuing it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I’ve done probably 100+ deals on this site and others over the years. This is my very first problem. I let my guard down and paid the price. It’s on me.

Please reveal who this guy is if you don't have communication back from him next week.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Purchased a 1000.oo scope once thru pp. Goods n services. It was a pain n a wait, but eventually got refund by contesting transaction. It was one time I was so glad I didn't do ff. 3% is cheap insurance.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus sake. 2 Corinthians 4:5
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RickyD

Please reveal who this guy is if you don't have communication back from him next week.

I surely will.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
F and F. I know, dumb. Wasn’t a ton of money, I took a known risk. It’s on me. But the guy had pics of the scope and was engaging, at first.

Your money is gone. Best thing to do is to look on it as a learning experience. Don't give up on trying to get some satisfaction, but don't count on it happening.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F and F... It’s on me...

It's on you for two reasons:

a) dealing with someone who is willing to cheat PayPal
and
b) being willing, yourself, to cheat PayPal.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 70 invisible), 3,391 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,439
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.