Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,751 of 1,842 1 2 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Stay away from anything from 96-14 that hasn't had the transom checked. Pretty well documented run of bad transoms. Anything older than that you should check anyway.But worse yet from about 2003 on up believe it or not. If you can get your motor off a guy can replace it himself but it's certainly not a fast job. Probably 8-10 hours of work for a fairly handy person. None of it really hard, just time consuming, nit-picky stuff.

The 2015'ish and up should be great. The were using aluminum or a composite transom in most lund boats by then. Alumacraft didn't start until last year I don't think but didn't have the material issue Lund did.

But if you find a boat with a better layout for fishing than a Lund Fisherman or Pro-v, let me know. That's dialed in.

Last edited by tzone; 04/05/19.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my Next boat will be a 2006ish Lowe Fish and Ski 175 with a 115 4 stroke merc. I came across one a couple weeks ago that had basically been locked in storage it's whole life and was mint condition. I should have jumped on it but couldn't until I got home from work travel and it was gone. for me it's the perfect layout size and everything. walk through windshield is a must out here in my opinion.

Lunds do have the rep of bad transoms, now that could work out in your favor if you buy one that needs a replacement. I wouldn't hesitate and then use seacast to replace it if the price was right. I do enjoy working on boat projects so often time I'm on the prowl for "project boats" and can get them for a song lots of times.

Tom, you'd like my '99 Fisher Avenger 19. I especially like it for the kids, but they can hardly see over the gunnels it's so deep. I don't know if I showed it to you when you were here or not, but I think I sent you pics after I got it maybe.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I just recently started hearing about these transom issues. Make me think about my choice. There's always lots of stuff in my wheelhouse on Craigslist, so I very well may be rethinking the whole Lund thing. What did they manage to screw up on all these boats that made for bad transoms?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it was the transom caps and not sealing the wood used in the transom. fine for a few years, then the rot spreads like wildfire. almost all boat manufacturers did the same with the wood floors. if they would seal them, they would last decades. often times I'll find boats that have been left outside for a while, and even if the plug is out they get wet and dry over and over and the wood is shot pretty fast. think of a sheet of plywood if just let out in the yard for a summer, same thing happens on a boat floor unless garaged and/or covered. Even if really cared for the humidity, dew, rain showers and splash while using it can have an effect over time.

don't need marine grade plywood, regular adx or bdx is fine. I seal using Fiberglass repair resin 1-2 coats and paint it on the board after predrilling all the holes. I use aluminum angle to secure it to the boat and beef up support. rubber backed carpet or roll on deck for a covering before final install, and of course as much closed cell foam you can get in there.

My first project took this:
[Linked Image]

With help:
[Linked Image]

To this:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heres a photo dump of Wyo trip 2017. Probably won't get back for a few more years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Nice buck & nice pics.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
I'm afraid I do not have any boat projects, even if I could work on them. I will agree, once you get started, don't plan on going fishing any time soon.

Some good friends were nice enough to go check on my cabin & test the ice last weekend. Picture looks pretty much like all the rest. 3 feet of snow & lots of good ice but fishing was slow.
[Linked Image]

Another friend was here the next weekend. His catch included this 44+ inch northern, the smaller fish was 23 inches.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wowsers, a 44" northern is huge!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah that’s a beauty!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walleye closes for spawning season at midnight Sunday, hopefully the weather will be good & let me get the last weekend in !

Probably have to take the quads, this time, not much left on top for sled lubrication.

Update to follow, if it happens.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We are at the hospital, awaiting the birth of our first grandchild.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That deserves a toast !!

Whoops, sorry Dave.

Grumpa Dave makes you sound oldish.

Seriously, Congratulations to all & prayers for a safe delivery of your new best friend.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Grandpa Dave and Grandma Pam!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats guys. The first member of the third generation to hunt from Chickenbuck, maybe?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats!

Our 1st turned one in February and she has been such a blessing to our family! You're going to love being grandparents!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats grandpa and grandma Shaw!! And to the new parents!!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My congrats as well !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Egad! My youngest grand child is a college freshman . I now have three great grand children. The grand children have all been great to watch grow up and I eagerly look forward to the "new batch".
Sounds like a lot of boat resto/repair in someone's future. I always enjoyed that kind of work. My most ambitious project was when I lived in Atlanta. I bought and did a lot of work on a 33 foot Owens cruiser. It was a great boat and came complete with davits hanging over the stern and an 8' dinghy. Old flathead six cylinder Graymarine engine in the big boat and it had twin 55 gallon steel gas tanks and a 55 gallon steel water tank.. What a lot of fun that one was.
Hope everyone here is enjoying spring. The trees here have developed leaves this week.

Stan vin SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 04/13/19.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my resto plans have changed for the boat due to some recent developments. I might sell the boat all together and save my pennies to make a similar change as what Dave did some years ago. An opportunity has come up and it won't be around for very long. we'll see what the good lord has in store for us and where we end up I guess.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
my resto plans have changed for the boat due to some recent developments. I might sell the boat all together and save my pennies to make a similar change as what Dave did some years ago. An opportunity has come up and it won't be around for very long. we'll see what the good lord has in store for us and where we end up I guess.

Is it what I think it is?

Page 1,751 of 1,842 1 2 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 219DW, 20 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,765
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.