Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I imagine just about everybody here has had to put down a beloved pet at one point in their life.

How did you do it? The time is fast approaching to where I have to make that decision and it tortures my soul.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I like to use a baseball bat.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Morewood
I imagine just about everybody here has had to put down a beloved pet at one point in their life.

How did you do it? The time is fast approaching to where I have to make that decision and it tortures my soul.

It sucks. There's no way around it. No way to make it not suck, just give them the dignity and swift death you owe them. Bout an hour and a half ago I put down one of the best horses I've ever had. Toast them, make it quick and clean and move one.

Clarke ain't much for sentiments, but I am. I'm a soft bastard when it comes to critters, at least my own.

MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You will know when the time is. I had to put my boxer down less than a month after my wife passed. Pick the day and time and make it a good day for them. I had our boxer creamated and she is on the mantel with her mom. And yea its bad I dont think there is a way to be ready but it helps to try. Sorry for you and your friend.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Vet. But I hate crying in public.

Put a Lab down one time on lunch break with a sneak .22 round to the medulla. He never even twitched.

I have never spent a longer afternoon half-shift.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We had a visiting vet come to our house for one. It cost $400 but there was not the trauma of the dog being afraid of going to the vet and I didn't have to try driving home through tears. The vet took the body to cremation, we could have had ashes back for a fee, or could have kept the dog and buried it in the yard. Last big dog I buried left an odor for a couple months. We have been lucky that a couple just went to sleep. Last one I had to take in as it was really sick; it still pains me how she perked up after seeing me again after the vet examined her had told me that all it would take is a lot of money. That was a coyote cross that talked to me every day when came in.

Now I have a lump in my throat; good luck on whatever transpires. We all feel for you.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I feel for you, its tough. I usually do it myself, I figure its my responsibility. That doesn't make it easy though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our pets have always been part of our family so I think the most important thing is that you are there with them. We had to put our 14 year old Lab, Josh down 2 1/2 years ago. I didn't know I had that many tears but we are their whole world and when the time comes I think it's important to be there and let them know that they are loved right up 'til their last breath. I know old Josh would have done the same for me.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It sucks

No other way to describe it.

Get another pup and give that one a good life.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve taken mine to the veterinarian since I’m too soft to do it myself. I also cried like a little girl afterwards, every time. If I were in a position that didn’t allow the convenience of a vet I’d do what needed to be done out of love and compassion but fortunately I’ve yet to be in that position. I almost had to put one down out of compassion since he was having a grand mal seizure that wasn’t letting up. I cocked the revolver and just as I was about to squeeze the trigger the seizure stopped (thank God). He never had another seizure and we got a couple more years with him. When it was time we took him to the veterinarian and I took his body over to my favorite hunting spot and buried him overlooking the valley, a place that I would like to be laid to rest but the law wouldn’t allow it. I visit him every time I’m over there. His resting place is marked by a large boulder that I rolled over his grave. Just thinking about it makes me tear up....

I don’t envy the position you’re in and I wish you strength during a tremendously difficult time.

Our faithful companions don’t live as long as they should and the end is always tougher than we expect.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I do it myself. I will not pay someone else to do a job just because I find it unpleasant.

Usually an HMR round to the base of the skull from the Striker. Horses get a 210 gr 41 mag in the forehead. Just don't stand too close.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The last one I had to put down was an old Retriever that I had had for 18 years. I felt that it was my dog, and therefore my responsibility. On her last day, I fed her a whole steak one bite at a time, then let her hobble across the road to get a drink from the mud puddle that she knew she wasn't supposed to get into. She never knew I followed along behind her, and, in mid drink, put a 38 slug behind her ear. I did it, but must be getting soft in my old age, as I honestly don't know if I could do it over again. None of my other dogs are elderly, yet, so hopefully it'll be awhile before I have to find out.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by yukon254
I feel for you, its tough. I usually do it myself, I figure its my responsibility. That doesn't make it easy though.

Same... Pre dig a deep hole... Blur your view/memory of the dispatch... Blanket quickly and bury well and deep. Plant a tree you value... Care for the tree... Time will help. If an Apple tree... Appreciate the apples. Good luck.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Way to go you guys. Now you made my eyes leak.

I can't do the deed. I'd like to find a pro to give her an injection here at home in my arms.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It's definitely one of the hardest things a guy can do. I usually stop by McDonalds and get them a small order of fries for the ride to the vet. They love the fries and it helps me make the trip. When I'm there I always go in and hold them, pet them and talk to them while the vet administers the anesthesia. That is one of the worst feelings I can think of but I feel that's the least I can do for all those years of loving devotion. I'll probably have all my dogs buried with me. So VERY sorry to hear its your turn.....😭

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I really hate these threads.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I really hate these threads.....

I was just posting those same 5 words but you beat me to it. They always make my eyes water.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For us it was knowing that our decision would put an end to her suffering. Keeping her alive would have been selfish on our part. Put yourself in your dogs place and ask your self what would you want to happen.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well, it should be a lot easier than it is. It's not like we spoil our dogs or anything...............

[Linked Image]

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man.....there's a wicked breeze blowing on my eyes just reading through this.....and i must've ate something i'm allergic to my throats a little tight suddenly...

I had one i'd had for many years and losing her....i bawled for... well a long time and most every time i think of her.... best dog i ever had. Was my companion through a nasty, messy divorce. Was my running pardner - never whined cause it was raining, too cold, too early... always ready to go.

When it's time....and the realization of that is like the pain of a red-hot brand burning a hole through the heart..., the most normal, "every day" activity sets the best stage for what has to come next.

As mentioned above, I wish you the strength and conviction to do what you know deep inside is the best thing to do when that time comes. They deserve our best to help them past the pain that comes with age.

There is no easy way through and no avoiding the hurt, but honoring your pals life with memories of great times spent does help some. I hope you can find a vet who will help with this...

Strength and peace to you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.