Hop To
#13717095 04/05/19
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Quick question. Upgrading tents due to my 3 person tent replaced under warranty. Marmot brand. This tent used for car camping only. "Glamping" No packing it in. So question is in colder weather is a 4 man tent going to be colder than a 3 man tent all things considered? Thanks.

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A four person tent will not be colder than a three person tent. All tents unless heated will be the outside temp. Body heat is not enough to make a difference.......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thx . Kinda think same

A man's got to know his limitations!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been pretty happy with my seek outside tipi/stove when it comes to cold weather camping.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There might be a difference, but there are a lot of variables.

I used to have a Trango-2. It was a legit 4-season tent. It stayed pretty darn warm inside at sub freezing temps, just from body heat of two people.

With a typical 3-season tent, maybe not much difference.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not unless you all fart a lot!

Seriously, an old army tick was to burn a candle in the tent an hour or so before getting into your bags.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
There might be a difference, but there are a lot of variables.

I used to have a Trango-2. It was a legit 4-season tent. It stayed pretty darn warm inside at sub freezing temps, just from body heat of two people.

With a typical 3-season tent, maybe not much difference.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience using one-man 4-season tents I could count on a temp differential of between 10 and 20 degrees warmer inside the tent, at least during subzero conditions. When I use a two man mountaineering tent, but am still solo, I don't think I get quite the warmth, maybe 10 degrees difference, max?
YMMV and all that.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by fubarguy
Not unless you all fart a lot!

Seriously, an old army tick was to burn a candle in the tent an hour or so before getting into your bags.

Right. I use a candle lantern to warm the tent and drive any dampness out. Doesn't take much. Use a citronella candle in bug season. The little collapsible candle lanterns can hang from a loop or string and safer than an open candle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There’s a huge difference in temp with the tents I use. The stevensens warmlite is fixed double wall with aluminized inner wall and it gets very warm. Breezy three season tents stay about ambient.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lawnman
Quick question. Upgrading tents due to my 3 person tent replaced under warranty. Marmot brand. This tent used for car camping only. "Glamping" No packing it in. So question is in colder weather is a 4 man tent going to be colder than a 3 man tent all things considered? Thanks.

No.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
What's a good 4 man 4 season tent to use for hunting in the mountains? I know there are as many opinions as brands and prices, but I'm just looking for something that will be reasonable comfort without having to spend more than around $500. Any ideas or favorites? Something I can find on Amazon.com?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This tent from Cabelas kept me warm & dry during a spring hunt in the Brooks Range in Alaska. Shed water, light snow and wind just fine. Very comfortable.
[Linked Image]

Not sure if it's still available, or what the model is. The tent was outfitter-supplied and was clearly better in bad weather than my own three-season lightweight backpacking tent.

Guy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by spatin
What's a good 4 man 4 season tent to use for hunting in the mountains? I know there are as many opinions as brands and prices, but I'm just looking for something that will be reasonable comfort without having to spend more than around $500. Any ideas or favorites? Something I can find on Amazon.com?

To backpack? I wouldn't be looking at four season tents unless you're counting tipi styles. But $500 ain't going to get you there.

If you want shelter and free standing and a floor, Big Agnes Copper Creeks are outstanding. If I was going to hunt with four guys and get I'd get two 3-man's and get after it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good 4 man 4 season is gonna run you a heck of a lot more than 500 bucks, unfortunately. I agree with Travis(and) that unless you are going late season into high elevations a 3-season would probably work just fine. Less money and less weight to pack in, also.
+1 on the Copper Creeks. My hiking buddies love theirs.

Last edited by 340boy; 04/12/19.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The 4-season tents do tend to get weighty. The Trango-2 weighed about 9.5 lbs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to sleep in a tent that was "too good" or "too warm".

Round THE fhuqk up...not down.

Hint.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.