Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Ross

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He was/is a literal Straight Shooter.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Campfire's GMoats took that photo of Mr. Seyfried. Over the next five years or so the Weaver gave it up to Modified Weaver, and then to Isosceles. There seems to have been more change in the first five years of IPSC than in all the years since.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't discount Dot Sights.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JOG
The Campfire's GMoats took that photo of Mr. Seyfried. Over the next five years or so the Weaver gave it up to Modified Weaver, and then to Isosceles. There seems to have been more change in the first five years of IPSC than in all the years since.

Same can be said for any new sport.

UFC being a perfect example.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stance schmance!

Things evolve.
Sometimes good science, sometimes just the "cool factor".

That cat could shoot.
He kicked ass, won matches.

Who cares if he shot standing on his head, rubbing one out, after studying
the 223 AI photos?

Is stance important? Yep.

But in the context of making it easier to shoot well.
Hitting the target is the goal, not posture.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dealinsuck,

Your Wanton Man Lust,is the only thing you are able to talk about in the first hand. Congratulations?!?

Hint..................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recall Ross writing that during the 12 months prior to his winning the world title he expended 85,000 primers, all 45 auto.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Whatever works for ya.

Sight alignment and trigger control is what puts rounds on target.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen pictures of him shooting from other stances too. Taking a single picture, without knowing the full context, and making sweeping conclusions from it is *unwise*.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s a shame no one here actually shot with him or trained with him, it would be a great source of info.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
It’s a shame no one here actually shot with him or trained with him.....

50K registered users.....I wouldn't bet on that......

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
I've seen pictures of him shooting from other stances too. Taking a single picture, without knowing the full context, and making sweeping conclusions from it is *unwise*.

This.

Along with being a superb shot, Ross Seyfried is one of the best at explaining how and why you should set up a shot to match the situation. His articles on wingshooting are brilliant.

We're looking at a picture that represents maybe 1/60th of a second in the decades-long career of an absolute master. There's a lot that we can't see. Maybe he was moving as part of a stage or maybe he unlocked his elbows to clear a barrier that we can't see in the frame. But we can see two pieces of brass in the air between the pistol and his head, so things are happening quickly. The gun bas returned to battery and the muzzle is low enough that he can begin to align his sights for the next shot, so he's controlling the recoil of a full-house 45 ACP pretty well. Whatever stance and grip he's using seem adequate for what he's doing in that picture, and that's all that counts.

Back when I shot IDPA, one of the designers created a stage where you had to shoot your way out of a fairly complex structure while carrying a doll that was about the size and weight of a 1-year-old child. You had to carry it like you'd carry a real child, so a headlock, dragging it by a leg, etc. were prohibited. Most shooters at that club were pretty good, but nobody really knew anything other than Isosceles. Some tried to shoot the whole stage one-handed. Some fumbled through it with a cramped version of Isosceles. Most of them took about a minute for the stage, fumbled their reloads, and got a lot of C-zone hits. I pulled my workspace in very close and used Reverse Weaver for most of it, then finished with a very fast weak-handed pair at near-contact distance. ANY picture of me taken on that stage would be a pretty good cautionary tale for new shooters, but I shot it clean in 26 seconds.

Horses for courses.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I always enjoyed Ross's handgun articles in the rags back in the 70's 80's. Those were examples of quality gun writing.

I don't buy the rags anymore, but what I see in waiting rooms on occasion is nothing but gear pimpery.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's noone worth a fhuqk Writing today,as they are all on the take and pander Fluff...but it is fhuqking FUNNY!

Hint................

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ross knew what others wished to know--

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A quote, reportedly from Jim Higginbotham.

One does not want to get the big head about performance. I was once walking around the U.S. Region IPSC Championship (this was before the days of USPSA) with Ross Seyfried, a gentleman of the first order! A vendor asked him how it felt to be the best pistol shot in the world (Ross would become World Champion the next year). His response was:

“I have no idea. The best pistol shot in the world is probably some farmer out in Colorado or someplace who we never heard of.”

It was a point I took a lesson from. Both as to one’s attitude and probably as to the factual reality that there are indeed great shooters who are unknown to the press and public.

I recall reading an article, not long after Seyfried won the 81 World Shoot, in which he mentioned that the pistol he used to win that event was essentially worn out by the time he won it. He said it was only good for about six inches at 50 yards, but he could center that group exactly where he wanted it and do it fast enough to win.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One may actually post here! Who would ever know

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Wasn't Ross a farmer in Colorado then?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.