Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For those denying evolution here, literally none of the discoveries of the modern biological sciences make one shred of sense absent evolution theory being correct. Absent that, we'd have to assert that those discoveries can only be explained by magic.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
OK let me see if I got this straight. There are no Unicorns because they missed the boat.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Titans who help Noah build the Ark were destroyed by the flood.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
How important that the cross Jesus carried did not look like the one in all the renditions?
The Romans uses a "T" shaped cross.

It was a post in the ground. The top of the T was separate, and you were first attached to it. Then the top part was lifted, with you attached, up to be placed on the post, which had hardware to secure it to.

I already said that...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tom264

My reading comprehension is quite clear.
You said the Bible is irrelevant to you.
The Bible is the story of God.
You dismiss the BIble you dismiss God.....but that’s ok, the murderous idolatrous thieving snake in the grass church got you covered.....

lol. Why, the Catholic Church uses the bible too, but this pretty much covers your comprehension (non) acumen. I said I was catholic, but nowhere did I say I was practicing and whilst on the subject, not a fan of the church either and much of what the catholic church preaches IS grounded in the Bible. As far as "murderous" people in blown glass crystal houses shouldn't throw stones/(blown glass is extra delicate and I figured you had no clue). But if you believe in all that MAN WRITTEN fairy tales (not ALL) that permeate the bible, you go right ahead, Ace.

I'm guessing you're one of them Pagan Protestants, probably a Baptist (BTW, I kinda liked Episcopaleans until they went full blown crazy with chick parsons, etc),

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Non denominational here thanks so as far as throwing bricks and glass houses and stuff...don’t cover me.
Now.
You say the Catholics use the Bible too?
What Bible? Because I can name a whole slew of stuff the Catholic Church just made up out of the blue that don’t follow the Bible..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those denying evolution here, literally none of the discoveries of the modern biological sciences make one shred of sense absent evolution theory being correct. Absent that, we'd have to assert that those discoveries can only be explained by magic.

If the only two choices are magic and evolution I guess I will go with magic. Evolution requires too much blind faith in things that can't happen.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman

If the only two choices are magic and evolution I guess I will go with magic. Evolution requires too much blind faith in things that can't happen.

But Magic doesn't?????

That's rich!.....
or should I say Rich. laugh

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/13/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Evolution is the only thing that can happen.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It was a post in the ground. The top of the T was separate, and you were first attached to it. Then the top part was lifted,
\with you attached, up to be placed on the post, which had hardware to secure it to.

Artistic renditions through the ages show Jesus carrying a complete cross,
yet realistically , he likely carried only the cross-beam If he actually carried anything at all,
since he could have simply been attached to a plain vertical stake without cross beam.

A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to The English and Greek New Testament:

" The σταυρός (stauros) was simply an upright pale or stake to which Romans nailed those who were thus said to be crucified,
σταυρόω, merely means to drive stakes. It never means two pieces of wood joining at any angle. Even the Latin word crux means
a mere stake. The initial letter Χ, (chi) of Χριστός, (Christ) was anciently used for His name, until it was displaced by the T, the
initial letter of the pagan god Tammuz, about the end of cent. iv. "

Did Jesus carry his own cross to Golgotha?...well the Bible is divided on that.

John states Jesus carried his cross* to the place of the skull( John 19:17)
Matthew, Mark, Luke claim authorities at some point compelled Simon to the task.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Whoa, that means witchcraft and you get burned at the stake by the Bible people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Magic is just sleight of hand...witchcraft can involve complex alchemy. .. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it looks like we continue to narrow things down into one of two major categories.

everything has come about according to our understanding of logic, or it didn't.

if it didn't then majic begins to rear it's ugly head.

if it's all logic, then it's step by step.

and we'll call it process.

which is evolution.

but which is it?

majic maybe?

i say yes.

why not?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Gus
it looks like we continue to narrow things down into one of two major categories.

everything has come about according to our understanding of logic, or it didn't.

if it didn't then majic begins to rear it's ugly head.

if it's all logic, then it's step by step.

and we'll call it process.

which is evolution.

but which is it?

majic maybe

i say yes.

why not?

probably gonna regret this but here goes.

The process you are describing as logic, and as most logic, comes from one of several areas called Set Theory. The definitions that allow a concept, something tangible or anything to the set were previously hard definitions with clear boundaries. So inclusion, exclusion, and union were well established, and thus the step by step process you describe. (Formal Logic, Boolean algebra etc.)

Late 1900 a couple of Israelies (wouldn't you know it) asked questions about why the "hard " lines set was needed, and redefined areas to membership. This type of definition deals more with the process of when the topic gains membership rather than the operation involved. (the process).

This area is formally known as Fuzzy Logic and forms the foundation of Neural Nets and todays Artificial Intelligence algorithms .

As most evolutionary process, biological or otherwise are 3 order or greater ( into 5th and 7th order which if you go by Thoms classification are catastrophes) this allows for more knowledge than previous "planar" or 2nd order systems.
"on or off" Boolean type systems.

By decreasing the iteration size (smaller and smaller segments of time) these systems start to show "chatter" and under Bifurcation may form completely new systems. (Chaos theory) This is the evolution (magic) you are describing.

If a word was needed to describe this I would use Intelligence

V
V

"Against stupidity, the gods themselves say, aww, 'fuvck it'"

Schadenfreude: “Tastes great! Less filling!”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Etoh

Whoa, that means witchcraft and you get burned at the stake by the Bible people.

You bring up the Bible. That gives me the option of including the Truth in this conversation. God spoke everything that was created into being by the Power of His Word. No magic. No evolution required. God spoke and it happened. No need for long ages.

Everyday Hunter
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Etoh

You bring up the Bible. That gives me the option of including the Truth in this conversation. God spoke everything that was created into being by the Power of His Word. No magic. No evolution required. God spoke and it happened. No need for long ages.

if that ain't majic in terms of a lowly commoners mentality like mine, i don't hardly know what is.

majic can be helpful in coming to terms with "things" that logic can't address, at least directly.

speaking things into being is pretty majical for a bunch of us folks with little knowledge.

surely god his very self didn't speak his very self into existence?

if not, how did he come about, does anyone know for sure?

i don't have a problem with majic if it's all we have.

God turning over the running of the Urth to the humans.

he would and could do that, couldn't he?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Once more, evolution requires just a large a leap of faith as creation.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Once more, evolution requires just a large a leap of faith as creation.

A hugely bigger leap of faith. At least with creation one starts with an Infinite Intelligent Energy not limited by anything. On the other hand one must believe in mindlessness accomplishing something with time as the hero. An evolutionist must believe in survival of the fittest without explaining abiogenesis; which is necessary in order to have the fittest.

Everyday Hunter
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 673, 17CalFan, 31 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,322
Posts18,526,423
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.