Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Never heard this before. Well kept secret that towards the end of WW2, Japan launched bombladen balloons in hopes the Jet stream would carry them to NA. More than a few actually made it and in fact killed an adult woman and 5 children in the far West. Idaho/ Oregon?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One landed near Thermopolis, Wyoming! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I vaguely remember the story from a weather class I took in college. I thought that deaths happened after the war though when some ordinance was found.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
very possible since their launch was near their surrender.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I read this years ago!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
and didn't share? whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think they were killed in Oregon just a few years ago.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uh, really old news. First came to my attention over 50 years ago.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys living in caves?
It's been mentioned on the 'Fire several times.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Family near Paisley Oregon was killed when they found one of the balloons. JAPAN had a plan to set a lot wildfires across the west.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Didn't know that. I guess Hiroshima and Nagasaki were justified, then.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There were also 3-4 shelling of American and Canadian targets by Japanese submarines including one that involved a half dozen submarines. None caused any significant damage beyond damaging the baseball field at a military fort in Washington. There was an air raid by a plane launched from a submarine intended to start forest fires. It wasn't successful either. And, one cannot forget the "Battle of Los Angeles" either. It was a hard fought victory for the U.S.

Japanese efforts along the west coast of the U.S. mainland and Canada were not greatly successful. Several dozen ships were sunk off the coast, one of which was a Russian sub with whom Japan was not yet at war with. The West Coast did not have as easy of access to the Axis as the East Coast but they were not totally left out of the war.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One balloon landed just outside Desdemona Texas.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It wasn't a family. A minister and his pregnant wife were taking 5 of her teenage Sunday school students on a picnic. They think the wife found the bomb and it exploded killing her and the 5 students. The husband was a distance away and wasn't hurt. IIRC, there was a brother and sister who died but all the others weren't related.

They've counted 342 balloons that made the mainland out of over 9000 launched. They reached as far east as NE. Some were shot down, other exploded with minor damage. The one in OR was the only casualties. The balloons were big, something like 30' in diameter. They weren't hard to see.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder

WS

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It wasn't a family. A minister and his pregnant wife were taking 5 of her teenage Sunday school students on a picnic. They think the wife found the bomb and it exploded killing her and the 5 students. The husband was a distance away and wasn't hurt. IIRC, there was a brother and sister who died but all the others weren't related.

They've counted 342 balloons that made the mainland out of over 9000 launched. They reached as far east as NE. Some were shot down, other exploded with minor damage. The one in OR was the only casualties. The balloons were big, something like 30' in diameter. They weren't hard to see.

Correct.
I've been to the site.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2010/05/0505japanese-balloon-kills-oregon/amp

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The original paper-mache hot air balloons were launched I believe in 1943. About(if I remember right) about 3000 of these were released in Japan in hopes that they would 1) start wild fires in the West and 2) help destroy moral. A church group out in Oregon were out for a Sunday picnic and kids saw the bright balloon and it exploded when they grabbed it. Only about 250 of these ever turned up and no others were deadly. OK - now for the fun part - these balloons were weighted with sand bags - if they dipped below a certain altitude, bags would be released to let them rise again to continue their flight. Using the sand from the bags of those that were found, the US Geological Society determined that the sand was from a small 5 mile stretch of beach on Japans shore. They turned the info over to the US Military and they bombed and destroyed the building there making these "hot air" bombs and end of Story. As I have said before I am a retired History teacher and had an Actual news article with all of the details of this story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fu Go Balloons

Heck, even Wifey heard of these, although she'd forgotten the Dolittle Raid.
I never heard the story of tracking the sandbags to the original location, though.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/555th_Parachute_Infantry_Battalion_(United_States)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/555th_Parachute_Infantry_Battalion_(United_States)

These were the fellas that were going to fight the fires.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/14/19.

Founder

WS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 57 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.