hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Snug the front first?

The rear?

Equal a 1/4 turn at a time?

How tight?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Front one to 40 oz inches, then back one to 20 oz inches.

A good test is to then loosen the front screw and see if the barrel rises in the stock. If it does, you have a bedding problem. Then re-tighten to 40 oz inches.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Front one damn tight, then rear one pretty tight. Brownells has hex head screws for the clumsy, or those who've bought rifles from the clumsy. I fit both descrptions at times.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton

A good test is to then loosen the front screw and see if the barrel rises in the stock. If it does, you have a bedding problem. Then re-tighten to 40 oz inches.

I agree except I can’t find a torque wrench in inch/oz. mine are all inch/pounds or foot pounds. Some manufacturers vary on torque specs but 40/20 is a general number.

Swifty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Front screw farmer tight, rear screw snug. That protocol has worked fine for about five generations, but now we need torque wrenches?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Front screw farmer tight,

wink I can relate.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If the gun is bedded correctly, you will be drawing down on steel both front and rear. You can`t over tighten, snug um both up tite.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Front screw farmer tight, rear screw snug. That protocol has worked fine for about five generations, but now we need torque wrenches?

There are more materials used to make stocks now. That, and pillars, aluminum action bedding, etc. Some of these were uncommon or unknown back in the daze of the mostly wooden stocks. Torque wrenches used to be more common in the BR world, but virtually unknown with hunting rifles. That has changed. Time marches on. shocked

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use a flat bladed screw driver unless it has torque or allen head screws.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I agree except I can’t find a torque wrench in inch/oz. mine are all inch/pounds or foot pounds. Some manufacturers vary on torque specs but 40/20 is a general number.

40 oz inches = 2.5 inch lbs = 0.208 ft lbs

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CJC73
Originally Posted by Swifty52

40 oz inches = 2.5 inch lbs = 0.208 ft lbs

Long ways from 40 inch pounds. Believe the Ruger American states 60-80 inch pounds. I might have 2.5 inch pounds on the front trigger guard screw but I doubt it.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do the front first then the rear.

I don't do farmer tight. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
40 inch pounds of torque on the front doesn't seem unreasonable, but I'm going to have to back up the recommendation to play with the screws and test for movement or springing. It was probably "farmer tight" up front for K-98s and about half that for the rear tang, which in turn was SUPPOSED to contact a metal sleeve around the rear action screw (to avoid crushing the laminated wood).
What I would want to feel is both action screws snugging up quickly to a firm stop that tells me the wood isn't soft or damaged. If it takes a couple of turns to go from "free" to "tight," it's smart to take a scratch awl or something and see how hard the support wood in the stock still is. If it's gooey or smushed, a bedding job with modern epoxy is in the cards.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Generally I use a screwdriver.

Have a very accurate (and relatively expensive) torque screwdriver, but mostly use it for scope-mounting. Have yet to find any significant difference in various inch-pounds with most well-bedded centerfire rifles, and have experimented plenty. So just tighten the front screw first, with the rifle tilted upward so the recoil lug rests firmly against the stock inletting, then firm up the rear screw.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I also use a screwdriver. Great invention.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or, as the Brits call it, a turnscrew.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Righty tighty
Leftie loosie

Last edited by RinB; 04/15/19.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Clockwise

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Generally I use a screwdriver.

I have hex head action screws on my Mauser--which I recommend--but I don't believe places like Brownells or Midway carry them anymore.

And, for my military (vs commercial) Mauser actions, I glass in a metal ferrule to prevent over-tightening the rear action screw.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone should make a torque driver marked "Farmer, Damn, Pretty, Snug, and Friction". Save a lot of confusion.

The front screw on my Fieldcraft is supoosed to get 80 inch pounds. Don't have a driver that goes that high, so it'll get "Farmer" I suppose if I ever take it apart.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,426
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.