Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I have a single shot 1885 in 260 Remington.

I like to shoot long bullets like the Barnes 127 LRX, and the rap against the 260 Rem is for typical short-action magazines the bullets need to be seated too deep, taking up potential powder volume and limiting velocity.

But cartridge OAL isn't a limitation with a single shot. For those of you that know the 260 Rem cartridge, would it be worth it for me to have the throat lengthened? What might I gain in velocity?

Please don't suggest other cartridges (or ask me to post pictures of the rifle!)... just share the likely benefits of lengthening the throat on a 260 Rem.

Thanks,
GC

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It will change nothing. Shoot a better bullet and undoubtedly get rid of the schitty scope and mounting system.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Hey BS, those initials work for you. You don't know what you are talking about. It is an extremely accurate rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 1/4 of the percentage of increased powder capacity, which you can figure by measuring water capacity at the present seating depth and at the depth permitted by your proposed longer throat. Mule Deer has a 1 in 4 rule about this. In plain English, not much. Why not just chase the lands as your throat wears?

FYI, including restrictions in your post as to what responses you desire is like tossing blood in a shark tank.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Hey BS, those initials work for you. You don't know what you are talking about. It is an extremely accurate rifle.

Cheeser,

What scope does it wear? What mounting system does it wear? What COAL and at what speed? What is your version of "extremely accurate" and at what distance(s)? Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I like to shoot long bullets like the Barnes 127 LRX, and the rap against the 260 Rem is for typical short-action magazines the bullets need to be seated too deep, taking up potential powder volume and limiting velocity.

But cartridge OAL isn't a limitation with a single shot. For those of you that know the 260 Rem cartridge, would it be worth it for me to have the throat lengthened? What might I gain in velocity?

Please don't suggest other cartridges (or ask me to post pictures of the rifle!)... just share the likely benefits of lengthening the throat on a 260 Rem.

Thanks,
GC

From what I gather the rap is more about the newer high BC bullets having long noses whose ogives get into the case neck when the overall length is constrained.

What's the twist in that barrel? IIRC the 1885's were twisted on the slow side for a 6.5mm and this may limit your bullet selection.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't spook her away...she's doing GREAT.

Hint................(grin)

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by mathman

Thanks,
GC

From what I gather the rap is more about the newer high BC bullets having long noses whose ogives get into the case neck when the overall length is constrained.

What's the twist in that barrel? IIRC the 1885's were twisted on the slow side for a 6.5mm and this may limit your bullet selection.

It is a 1-in-9.5 inch twist.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cheeser,

What scope does it wear? What mounting system does it wear? What COAL and at what speed? What is your version of "extremely accurate" and at what distance(s)? Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I seriously doubt the scope and mounting system has any effect whatsoever on cartridge length.
Many of the long, high BC bullets actually have a relatively short shank so don't require a long throat to stay ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture. Within reason, seating below this juncture is probably no big deal. The thing is, the short neck of the 260 means that throating for a specific long bullet means that you might lose versatility. I built one260 with a long throat to allow me to seat some Sierra bullets with a very long shank. This 260 was built on a Mauser so I had plenty of mag length. The bullets had to be seated very deeply with the standard throat. Lengthening the throat worked great but I could forget about trying to touch the lands with many other bullets. Lengthening the throat will give you a slight increase in effective case capacity but not so much that velocities would end up that much higher. GD

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by greydog
The thing is, the short neck of the 260 means that throating for a specific long bullet means that you might lose versatility.

Neck length = 0.260" = 1 bullet diameter. Conventional wisdom would say that's adequate length. Never been a problem with my .260

I'm thinking the OP would be lucky to gain 50 fps, assuming a 5% capacity (+2.5 gr) increase.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

The thing is, the short neck of the 260 means that throating for a specific long bullet means that you might lose versatility.

Neck length = 0.260" = 1 bullet diameter. Conventional wisdom would say that's adequate length. Never been a problem with my .260

I'm thinking the OP would be lucky to gain 50 fps, assuming a 5% capacity (+2.5 gr) increase.

I don't think there usually is an issue with the standard throat. It may require that very long bullets be seated a little deep but it allows light, short bullets to still be seated near the land; if one desires it. If the throat is lengthened though, to accomodate a long bullet, the throat may be too long to allow the short bullet to reach the lands while still staying in the case. This is a conundrum which faces rifle builders, ammunition manufacturers, and handloaders. Winchester ran into this issue with the 264 when they offered two loadings; the 100 grain and the 140. They addressed this by throating the rifles short for compatibility with the 100 then produced a two diameter 140 to fit the short throat while being seated out to a greater COAL. My 260 with the long throat is capable of using a long bullet with a short ogive but is, perhaps, not so great with with short bullets. Since I have no intention of using light bullets in it, that doesn't really matter but, to someone else, it might. GD

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

MM, Thanks.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

I don't think there usually is an issue with the standard throat. It may require that very long bullets be seated a little deep but it allows light, short bullets to still be seated near the land; if one desires it. If the throat is lengthened though, to accomodate a long bullet, the throat may be too long to allow the short bullet to reach the lands while still staying in the case. This is a conundrum which faces rifle builders, ammunition manufacturers, and handloaders. Winchester ran into this issue with the 264 when they offered two loadings; the 100 grain and the 140. They addressed this by throating the rifles short for compatibility with the 100 then produced a two diameter 140 to fit the short throat while being seated out to a greater COAL. My 260 with the long throat is capable of using a long bullet with a short ogive but is, perhaps, not so great with with short bullets. Since I have no intention of using light bullets in it, that doesn't really matter but, to someone else, it might. GD

GD, Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I seriously doubt the scope and mounting system has any effect whatsoever on cartridge length.
Many of the long, high BC bullets actually have a relatively short shank so don't require a long throat to stay ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture. Within reason, seating below this juncture is probably no big deal. The thing is, the short neck of the 260 means that throating for a specific long bullet means that you might lose versatility. I built one260 with a long throat to allow me to seat some Sierra bullets with a very long shank. This 260 was built on a Mauser so I had plenty of mag length. The bullets had to be seated very deeply with the standard throat. Lengthening the throat worked great but I could forget about trying to touch the lands with many other bullets. Lengthening the throat will give you a slight increase in effective case capacity but not so much that velocities would end up that much higher. GD

DUMBdog,

Your inability to connect a single fhuqking dot,is VERY "impressive". Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint...........

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Cheeser,

Hint...............

You silly fat bitch! Let’s get rick to set up a man to man slug fest.bring that hat for dinner the night of. PS you are a pussy in advance. Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my...yet another Brokedick is in over her pointy head. Congratulations?!?

HINT..................

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Grousechaser, with your current throat, seat the 127 barnes .050 off the lands, use R#26, find pressure, then start playing with primer choices. I would start with a cci 250. I would not hesitate to use the 127 on elk as they shoot holes through deer from butt to shoulder exits.

We started finding great accuracy around 3000 and up.

Stick is correct, it is a schitty bullet, and expensive. For another better schitty short range bullet, a 129g Hornady proved to be just as effective with great penetration and expansion making great hog bullets...at least you can live with the price.

The 260 loves the 143 eld-x and 140g SST with R#26, velocity is going to shock you. Tough Lapua brass will help make your life easier because this round likes a hot load with the 143's around 2900 at least.

I made brass from Lapua Palma brass(small primer with cci 450) and turned necks, HARD TO KILL THIS BRASS.

If you want to shoot a 130 ish grain bullet, then go Accubond. We had 130g bergers not go through deer...no blood trail is not a good thing when they run off.

R#26 Re-defines the 260 Remington, after you find pressure, best accuracy will be within 1.5g of a max load for your rifle, don't be scared to find pressure in your rifle. H4350 and H4831 will suck hind tit as you soon will find out.

I would not lengthen the throat. Use a long drop tube powder funnel from Forster or make a long drop tube from an arrow shaft for slower burning powders. OAL on the 260 with std reamer has got you in a bind with std magazine Length to begin with, lengthening would make chasing throat geometry impossible.

Last edited by keith; 04/23/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those Low Walls aren't twisted very tight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Low Wall .260 as well.
I run the Sierra 85gr hp for fun and practice. The Hornaday 129 IL for hunting both blacktail and elk.

I’ve killed two big Roosevelt cow elk with a single round apiece, the longest was 257 yards....both with the 129.
I’ve loaded and tested the Hornaday 140 IL and it ran just fine, didn’t see any stability issues, but haven’t hunted it.

If you value that nice rifle, you’ll not alter it in anyway.... no recoil pad, chamber “improvements”, or anything else.
It’s a gem just the way it is, enjoy it.

What are you running for glass?

Last edited by Blacktail53; 04/30/19.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.