Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Looking for help figuring value of this Model 1 Super X.
Any helps appreciated

Attached Images
image.jpg (2.15 MB, 227 downloads)
image.jpg (2.59 MB, 189 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That Monte Carlo stock makes me think trap gun. New, unfired?

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am a big fan of these guns, and as noted above this gun is clearly a trap gun. I think the Super X Model 1 is the finest gas powered semi-automatic shotgun ever, and it has something of a cult following. The late Bob Brister, the iconic shooting editor of Field and Stream and accomplished shotgunner, was a big fan of this gun.

The later versions of the gun are in slightly more demand (slight improvement to the trigger, and the barrel set screw on the rib ahead of the front bead was discontinued. The serial number is obscured on the box end, but these guns numbers go to about 84,000 or so. The gun likely has scroll engraving on the receiver, and a smooth trigger face that could be gold plated or blues. The smooth face indicates the last version of the gun. Be sure not to fire this gun without replacing the bolt buffer, as all of the originals have become brittle and will break up. They are easily available, as are other parts for these nice guns. This gun was built to feel like a Model 12, and is built of all steel parts.

As to value, the market is quite soft these days, and a NIB gun such as your’s would stretch to bring $1000. Likely selling price would be $750-$850. This would be a real bargain for such a gun, but that’s the market now.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Not new, but looks like it. Not the price I was hoping to see, but it never really is....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
GF1 gave you a real good overview of the shotgun. Likely the best steel receiver semi auto ever made. A bit heavy for field carry but I shot my first 100 straight with one from the 16 yard line and have a soft spot for them. If you can find a big ATA regional shoot, you might be able to get top dolllar for it there.
Good luck with your sale.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a LOT of history with these guns having bought my first one in 1975 and through thousands and thousands of rounds I have NEVER had a malfunction, they are that good, without a doubt the best gas gun ever produced, period.

Being a Trap model it will only be coveted by a select few but it's an excellent gun for that discipline.
Nu Line Guns still sells parts for the SX-1 and yes the buffer MIGHT need to be replaced but it might not.

Good luck with the sale, were it a 28" modified I would be sending you a PM.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The serial number as faintly seen on the box appears to be in the 85,000 range. Your shotgun is what is called a factory clean up gun put together by Winchester from the parts bin. All trap guns and skeet guns have scroll engraving which your gun appears not to have which is the tell tale sign your is a clean up gun. Also the recoil pad is black which was used on skeet and trap guns under serial number 25,000. Also the forearm does not appear to be the style used on trap or skeet guns. Again indicative of being a clean up gun. The highest serial number I have ever seen on a Super-X was 86,000.

The market value for Winchester Super X's has dropped off the last several years due to competition from the Beretta guns which have all the bells and whistles for a clay gun. I would place the value at $750.00 under present market conditions. You should replace the bolt buffer in the back of the action with a new one as it likely will crumble when you start shooting the gun due to age.

The Winchester Super-X was the best gas -auto ever guilt in America...yet the shotgun did have it's issues to contend with. such as being a short stroke gas system creating excessive moisture on the mag tube and gas piston unlike the Rem 1100. A stainless mag tube and coated gas piston from Nuline Guns would resolve these two issues.

I've owned a bunch of Super-X's.....just love the gun.

I shot with a Winchester Rep in Virginia who introduced me to the Super-X shotgun at the time Winchester was shipping Super-X's from clean up parts. I remember Terry telling our skeet squad Winchester took a charge off of 2.5 million is losses on the research and development of the Super-X shotgun yet could have produced the same gun with "R&D" made by Kodensa in Japan for $250.000.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
To move this shotgun try "Trapshooters.com"

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 04/18/19.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bump for a classic auto.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The information available from members here is simply amazing at times. Can't find information like this as easily anywhere else on the internet. But along with all the good information and pleasant replies, there is also the other banter to have to weed thru sometimes.

Hint......

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Yeah definitely good input here.....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Serious owner should put the stainless magazine tube on. Nuline does this too.

Had one, couldn't shoot it, sold for 650. Current value for selling purposes is depressed by the excellent offerings of new trap guns with adjustable ribs and recoil absorbing stocks.

This gun's manufacture used machined metal parts where the competition used stampings. An excellent example of a bygone era.

HM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by halfmile
Serious owner should put the stainless magazine tube on. Nuline does this too.

Had one, couldn't shoot it, sold for 650. Current value for selling purposes is depressed by the excellent offerings of new trap guns with adjustable ribs and recoil absorbing stocks.

This gun's manufacture used machined metal parts where the competition used stampings. An excellent example of a bygone era.

HM

The magazine tube is easy to install, just heat with a hair dryer the junction where the factory mag tube meets the receiver and break it loose and install the new stainless tube. If you have the original factory blue mag tube the receiver threading for the mag tube is the same as for the magazine cap so the original factory tube can be reversed for longer use.

I wish Remington had threaded the magazine tube for the Remington 1100 and 870 instead of being brazed on. Many a Rem 1100 had to have the receivers replaced with new mag tubes from the factory.

The difference between the Remington 1100 design and manufacturing methods is what makes the Winchester Super-X model One......the shotgun to be admired and cherished for its design and construction.

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 04/18/19.
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
So real question is this.... it was my old mans, long since passed. It is something I likely will never shoot, and piece has no real sentimental value.
Keep closed up in box and stash in closet, or sell?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by FatBuddah
So real question is this.... it was my old mans, long since passed. It is something I likely will never shoot, and piece has no real sentimental value.

Only you can answer that one.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

If you do not have Children or Grand Children who would like this, move on and sell it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

if you post a better picture of the forearm to determine if the forearm is for the trap gun and the barrel is stamped trap i would keep the gun. If the forearm is the field style I would sell the gun. You biggest detraction is the receiver lacks the factory scroll engraving which to shooters of the Super-X would likely shy away from and will greatly effect the sales price of the gun.

If you gun is a field gun with a trap stock I going to project the real world sales price is $650.00 in today's market.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As as side story when the Winchester Super-X was introduced the Remington Arms Company was very concerned how the new Winchester shotgun would impact the sales of the extremely successful Rem 1100. All of the Remington management including engineer held a meeting with a new sample of the Winchester Super-X The question was asked of the engineer's and bean counters what it would cost to produce a shotgun
similar in construction to the Super-X? The engineers answered $350.00 a gun, at that point Remington's management knew Winchester would lose money on every Super-X"Sold" and they did.

This story was told to me by a Remington rep who was at the Remington meeting in Illion. For full disclosure the now retired Remington Rep does own a Winchester Super-X shotgun, one of my shooting buddy's sold him one of his spare Super-X's.

Our group of shooters called the Winchester Super-x's the "Stupid X" , the reason was because of Winchester's management screwing up the marketing of a such a remarkable shotgun.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
up for a classic shotgun

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 28 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,753
Posts18,495,386
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.