Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We're from the government, and we know what's best.

Well... Perhaps you can tell us about the areas of wild hogs that hunters have rid us of?

My neighbors and I have not eliminated hogs but have reduced them to a lower level than anywhere else in several miles proximity by using night shooting, day shooting, and traps, all used with unrelenting pressure. We keep cameras out and keep a lookout constantly for signs of hog damage from new hogs drifting in. We shoot or trap them immediately. The cameras tell us what time to expect our unwanted visitors. I can promise you that even though we still have a few hogs the most well intentioned government program can't match our efforts . The worst method of hog control is hunting them with dogs as that seems to disperse them all over the country while killing very few. A lot of the dog people aren't interested in eliminating hogs and in fact transport and transplant them seemingly in hopes of creating hog populations in new areas to hunt.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We're from the government, and we know what's best.

Well... Perhaps you can tell us about the areas of wild hogs that hunters have rid us of?

My neighbors and I have not eliminated hogs but have reduced them to a lower level than anywhere else in several miles proximity by using night shooting, day shooting, and traps, all used with unrelenting pressure. We keep cameras out and keep a lookout constantly for signs of hog damage from new hogs drifting in. We shoot or trap them immediately. The cameras tell us what time to expect our unwanted visitors. I can promise you that even though we still have a few hogs the most well intentioned government program can't match our efforts . The worst method of hog control is hunting them with dogs as that seems to disperse them all over the country while killing very few. A lot of the dog people aren't interested in eliminating hogs and in fact transport and transplant them seemingly in hopes of creating hog populations in new areas to hunt.

what a good coordinated effort may be reducing several of them it's also teaching them the area to be wary of and driving them on to other places. I to shoot everyone I see but do not allow people to constantly hump them because it moves them out and makes them harder to deal with here in Missouri or the bad part is you got the Ozark Mountain region which is fairly rough country but we're now getting the hogs in good Farm country and the destroying thousands of dollars worth of stuff in a few short days because of people hunt them in the Rough Country and drive them to other places

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I to shoot everyone I see but do not allow people to constantly hump them because it moves them out and makes them harder to deal with here in Missouri
Humping hogs should be illegal everywhere even Appalachia.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I to shoot everyone I see but do not allow people to constantly hump them because it moves them out and makes them harder to deal with here in Missouri

Lmao that talk-to-text will bite me every time

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Lmao that talk-to-text will bite me every time

I figured that's what happened, but it would still be a good idea to put that off limits. Might end up with an even worse hybrid than the Russian boar.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
hanco, Savage 99s are addictive. The good news is that there is a support group here comprised of very knowledgeable enablers. LOL

Originally Posted by JackRyan
So long as someone makes money on them,https://forum.gon.com/forums/-/mark-read?date=1555616129 they will still be there.
Gross over-simplification.

There are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them.

T.S.

Ah huh. I see.

"So long as someone makes money on them, there are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them."

Like that better?

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by MOGC
Ain't ever gonna root out all the hogs from the Ozarks. Hell, the MDC maps that show the location of hogs in Missouri has been outdated for at least two years. Hogs have expanded their range into new areas and the MDC isn't even aware of where the new encroachment of hogs is. MDC estimates 50,000 hogs in the Ozarks, that has to be a light estimate based off their maps, and last year with trapping and helicopter hunting the MDC killed around 9,000. With hog reproduction rates they aren't holding their heads above the wave. Turning tax paying hunters into criminals isn't helping the cause. Especially considering the USFS says it's ok to hunt hogs on the Mark Twain NF. It's a cluster [bleep] and only gonna get worse. In the meantime most of us Ozark hillbillies quietly shoot hogs when and wherever we encounter them MDC be damned.

Your information is outdated by about two years.
My latest Missouri Conservationist magazine, April, has the most recent numbers.
They eliminated 9,365 feral hogs in 2018 and 6,561 in 2017.
In over 20 years of unregulated hunting the feral hog population spread into over 30 Missouri counties.
In the past 30 years they have expanded from 17 to over 38 states.
Unregulated hunting has not been working.

Every year MDC publishes the latest update on feral hogs. Last year they said that large corral type traps dropped overhead has been found the most effective on catching the whole bunch at once.

My information is outdated by two years? How many hogs did I say MDC killed last year? And how many did you say they killed? About the same number, right?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
hanco, Savage 99s are addictive. The good news is that there is a support group here comprised of very knowledgeable enablers. LOL

So long as someone makes money on them,https://forum.gon.com/forums/-/mark-read?date=1555616129 they will still be there.
Gross over-simplification.

There are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them.

T.S.

Ah huh. I see.

"So long as someone makes money on them, there are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them."

Like that better?

There are many factors at play well beyond the practice of charging people to "hunt" them. Commercial pig hunting is a very small enterprise in Texas. If those operations were shut down, we would still be overrun by pigs.

You know not of what you speak.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if i wanted to board a delta jet from the ATL and fly to big D, and rent a car, where could i go to hunt pigs to help the landowners without having to pay a fee?

i think such an opportunity is non-existent.

pay to play, or some such.

is there a list of farmers soliciting help?

maybe there should be, or not?

maybe there's a bit of PR, and propaganda involved?

is this really a problem, or a bunch of media hype?

i think the rank & file doest complain too much.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as feral hogs have a single place of sanctuary, you will have a problem.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Gus
if i wanted to board a delta jet from the ATL and fly to big D, and rent a car, where could i go to hunt pigs to help the landowners without having to pay a fee?

i think such an opportunity is non-existent.

pay to play, or some such.

is there a list of farmers soliciting help?

maybe there should be, or not?

maybe there's a bit of PR, and propaganda involved?

is this really a problem, or a bunch of media hype?

i think the rank & file doest complain too much.

I would estimate there’s over 1/2 million acres of public land open to pig hunting within 3 hours of dfw airport. Off the top of my head I can think of one National grassland and 3 national forests. All huntable for less than $100 I licenses and permits. Hunting does little or nothing to lessen the population. It just makes them more skittish and harder to hunt or trap. We may shoot 2-4 pigs a week for a week or two and then they’re going to hold up in the biggest thicket they can find and you may not get another shot at one for a month no matter how much you hunt

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
There are some things about Missouri's Wildlife Code I do not like (I grew up there, and go back to hunt often). To whit, "Things that are not specifically ALLOWED by the WIldlife Code are prohibited" which is antithetical to freedom and liberty

In other words, if MDC doesn't specifically say you can do it, you can't legally do it. That isn't American, in my book.

This hog situation isn't much different, really. They can't get the job done, and they aren't going to let you get it done, either. Woe be unto you if you do, however.

I grew up in Northern Missouri, and didn't travel to the Ozarks much. The last time I was through there, driving I-44, I did see a sow and her litter just off the highway, about 50 miles east of Springfield. I was coming back from a funeral, and wasn't armed appropriately to shoot them (and wouldn't, off the highway and all that), but if I'd had a good rifle, I could have taken out several, since they were out in the open and quite a distance from any concealment.

Got to disagree. Missouri with their small code book of what you can do compared with the thick bibles of all the things that you can't do in other states.

Not at all the truth. Kentucky (for example) states that unless it's specifically prohibited, it's allowed. That's diametrically opposed to what the MDC Wildlife Code says. Words mean things, and your interpretation is considerably "off" from that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
There are some things about Missouri's Wildlife Code I do not like (I grew up there, and go back to hunt often). To whit, "Things that are not specifically ALLOWED by the WIldlife Code are prohibited" which is antithetical to freedom and liberty

In other words, if MDC doesn't specifically say you can do it, you can't legally do it. That isn't American, in my book.

This hog situation isn't much different, really. They can't get the job done, and they aren't going to let you get it done, either. Woe be unto you if you do, however.

I grew up in Northern Missouri, and didn't travel to the Ozarks much. The last time I was through there, driving I-44, I did see a sow and her litter just off the highway, about 50 miles east of Springfield. I was coming back from a funeral, and wasn't armed appropriately to shoot them (and wouldn't, off the highway and all that), but if I'd had a good rifle, I could have taken out several, since they were out in the open and quite a distance from any concealment.

Got to disagree. Missouri with their small code book of what you can do compared with the thick bibles of all the things that you can't do in other states.

Not at all the truth. Kentucky (for example) states that unless it's specifically prohibited, it's allowed. That's diametrically opposed to what the MDC Wildlife Code says. Words mean things, and your interpretation is considerably "off" from that.

I have never seen a Wildlife code book as simple as Missouri. Show me.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The fact that most of the hunting in Texas is on private land is frustrating for those from other regions. Landowners want to know whomever hunts on their property to be assured that no damage will be done,laws broken or careless handling of firearms that create a needless liability. The first step is to develop an acquaintance with the landowner as I suspect it is elsewhere. KellyWK is correct that there is huntable public land in Texas. Also there is no season or take limit. Lots of people hunt hogs for free down here on ranches .

One problem is that hogs come and go. There are plenty hogs where I hunt but I can't tell you where they are going to be at any point in time. I may see them for weeks and then they're gone for months. With the paid hog hunt operations, the hogs are usually contained on large tracts and fed regularly. Otherwise, most hogs are killed as targets of opportunity by landowners or by deer hunters hunting during deer season. Pigs are plenty smart and will modify their behavior to avoid threats. They are also omnivorous and will eat pretty much anything. On the plus side, they eat snakes.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I wonder what the story is on the isolated counties in Montanna and the UP? Tough winters.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

When the deer start dropping fawns, I wire the trigger back and leave the gate where the hogs have to push to get into it. You can't argue with results, and we don't separate any does from fawns this way.

Attached Images
full trap (22) Mar 23 2018 resize.JPG (64.32 KB, 32 downloads)

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in Southern Missouri

I don't hunt hogs but I have and will continue to shoot hogs on sight

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL !

Pigs with “raw ass” are harder to hunt I’d imagine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ain't ever gonna root out all the hogs from the Ozarks. Hell, the MDC maps that show the location of hogs in Missouri has been outdated for at least two years. Hogs have expanded their range into new areas and the MDC isn't even aware of where the new encroachment of hogs is. MDC estimates 50,000 hogs in the Ozarks, that has to be a light estimate based off their maps, and last year with trapping and helicopter hunting the MDC killed around 9,000. With hog reproduction rates they aren't holding their heads above the wave. Turning tax paying hunters into criminals isn't helping the cause. Especially considering the USFS says it's ok to hunt hogs on the Mark Twain NF. It's a cluster [bleep] and only gonna get worse. In the meantime most of us Ozark hillbillies quietly shoot hogs when and wherever we encounter them MDC be damned.

Your information is outdated by about two years.
My latest Missouri Conservationist magazine, April, has the most recent numbers.
They eliminated 9,365 feral hogs in 2018 and 6,561 in 2017.
In over 20 years of unregulated hunting the feral hog population spread into over 30 Missouri counties.
In the past 30 years they have expanded from 17 to over 38 states.
Unregulated hunting has not been working.

Every year MDC publishes the latest update on feral hogs. Last year they said that large corral type traps dropped overhead has been found the most effective on catching the whole bunch at once.

My information is outdated by two years? How many hogs did I say MDC killed last year? And how many did you say they killed? About the same number, right?

So?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.